Apex Quit Working!!!!emergency

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After more research the reef angel seemed just as expensive after a number of modules, and maybe more complicated
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

As expensive after modules .... probably.
more complicated .... definitely.

more capable and more reliable .... absolutely.

Like anything in life, you will get out what you put in.

The reef angel requires more tech skill/ learning curve.
The profilux requires more money.

The apex/reefkeeper requires less and you get less.

Good luck with your decision.

joereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds very familiar. Someone sent me this link because I had the same exact thing going on. It went on for a couple of weeks before I sent the whole thing back for replacement. Every day I came home to no lights, when I first hooked it up all I had on it were the lights. After I unplugged and did a hard reset everything was back to normal until the next day. I must say that Paul in tech support was great to work with and the new controller is up with no problems for about 3-4 months now. I never had my return pump or MP40's hooked to it and I don't really ever plan to, just incase. Paul did say it was a problem with the controller itself, but he never did tell me what because they don't know.

I do also have a Reef Keeper on another tank and have never had a single problem with it, but I still like my Apex better than the RK.

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with the Reefkeeper but I agree on the Apex.

I personally may look into the Profilux since I've never read anything negative about it.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this type of failure common with the Apex systems?
I contacted BRS to get some more info on the Reef Keeper Light and they said if I had any thought of using the controller online to go with the Apex instead, but after reading this thread I'm hesitant about it.

I'm actually thinking about the Reef Angel.
I'm not a programmer, but I do like to learn new things and find out stuff on the internet forums, plus I have done a little web programming.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problem i see is alot of people keep their controllers inside the stand with a sump and i bet the humidity and salt in there wrecks havoc with the circuit board. i run first version apex when all they had was brain and eb8 i have my brain and module in a non humid area and have not had any issues .... knock on wood

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this type of failure common with the Apex systems?

I cant say that total failures are common with the Apex but I will say that it often takes several attempts to save changes in the web interface before the changes are recorded. Also, I can change a setting, reboot the device, and the last changed setting reverts back upon reboot, etc.

These errors are not the end of the world but they do show the low standard of the device IMO. If you pay premium rates you should get a device that records your changes on the first save, not after 5 attempts.

I'm actually thinking about the Reef Angel.
I'm not a programmer, but I do like to learn new things and find out stuff on the internet forums, plus I have done a little web programming.

I hear the reef angel has a configuration wizard that eliminates the need for end users to write code directly. You would need to verify this yourself.

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problem i see is alot of people keep their controllers inside the stand with a sump and i bet the humidity and salt in there wrecks havoc with the circuit board.

If this were the case, it could be easily solved by "potting" (encasing them in silicone/epoxy) the boards. It would render the units unserviceable (or difficult) for repairs but would also make them highly resistent to the elements. I dont think Neptune is repairing many units anyway.

scamp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think kuyato hit it right on the head! i'm running a rke. having been a marine engineer for sea-land, one of the frist things i noticed about this unit is that NOTHING is sealed. nothing! not only this but for communactions we used (they say high grade) i say home depot low voltage telephone cables and jacks. this in itself is not a problem, its when the salt air from our tanks hits these connections we have problems. the smallest amount of corrosion on these connectors causes huge grounding problems and as a result loss communications to the modules. there are ways to combat this. in my case instead of mounting anything under my stand i built a add-on box to mount the controller and modules in to limit the amount of moisture that attacks the system. i extended some of my cables and ran them thru weather pack box connectors. i used liquid electric tap on all connectors, this does a good job of sealing the connection and is easily removed if needed. the drier you keep your system, no matter who builds it, the better it will preform. and always always always have back-ups, we all had spare timers at some point! :}

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not had these issues, but well aware of my vulnerability by relying on the Apex for too many critical functions so tagging along. While nothing life-threatening has happened yet with mine, there have been a few small issues that served to remind me that we are dealing with something not much better than a toy, or at best a PC which I would not personally rely on to control something any more critical than a coffe maker. The more you use the Apex's capabilities the more exposure you get to its failure.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running my apex since june had no issues. Time to time you have to do a firmware update but mine has been flawless. All modules and controllers are outside of tank stand. Mine is controlling two tanks

olesalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here no issues with apex been running 4 years. Well one issue but that was from a squirrel chewing the power coming into house which fried it. Had old apex jr unit laying around about 6years on it plugged it in and it still worked like a champ. I personally see no issues with changing things on the web like one of the post was saying. Except from my phone but then that is from no bars. I have mine hardwired so I believe if there is an issue with this its your internet/ wifi bridge.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back