• Other

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the worst aiptasia problem I had ever seen, much less experienced. I think my biggest problem was that my Pukani rock provided a wonderful place for them to spread and grow... I mean, my entire rockwork looked like it needed a shave. If you have only a few aiptasia, you can use Aiptasia X or save some money and make a paste out of kalk and use that (just as effective and many claim better). Personally, I've never used Aiptasia X but have had success with kalk. The problem is, you can't see every aiptasia and even though covering them in kalk or whatever does kill them, they often still spread. In my current tank, a 142 gal, shooting them couldn't keep up with the growth, which eventually got out of control.

I would start by trying to manage your aiptasia by shooting them and if they get out of control, Berghai will eliminate them (that's what eliminated mine). However, adding Berghai isn't like adding a sea hare for GHA. With Berghai, all you are doing is adding breeding stock. Berghai are prolific, and it is the plague of offspring that will destroy your plague of aiptasia, not the few you put in the tank. It took like 4 months to eliminate my aiptasia infestation with Berghai, but it absolutely worked. If you are only fighting 5 or 6 aiptasia, I'm not sure Berghai would even work. The number of Berghai you would generate might not be enough to find and consume a small amount of aiptasia. If you do go with Berghai, stop all other methods of aiptasia removal. Don't worry about how bad the aiptasia gets just let the Berghai do their thing.

Also, you might find a few to remove at the end, but it will be a minuscule amount compared to all of the Berghai you have in the tank, and yes, they will all starve. If you need solace, I'm convinced this is natural. Even on the reef, it has to be common that patches of aiptasia are overcome by Berghai, most which starve when the food source is gone. Watching how they worked in my tank, when food sources decline, they start roaming more, even during the day. This makes them more susceptible to being swept away by currents, which on the reef, likely takes a few to new feeding grounds. Hence, most starve, but a few make it to a new food source, and the process repeats. I literally watched a Berghai blow around and land next to a lone small rock in the sandbed in the back of the tank, which was covered with aiptasia. A few days later, the aiptasia was gone. I also believe that there is a chemical release or something that draws other Berghai to a feeding site as I don't believe that one nudi, ate all of the aiptasia on that rock.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The berghia nudis will miss the ones in the overflow, pipes and sump.
I have purchased six peppermint shrimps. They don't seem to eliminate all the aptasia but they must be doing something because I would normally need more nudis by now.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The berghia nudis will miss the ones in the overflow, pipes and sump.
I have purchased six peppermint shrimps. They don't seem to eliminate all the aptasia but they must be doing something because I would normally need more nudis by now.

As any livestock would....

ChuckD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used boiling water in a turkey baster.
Put the tip of the baster close, squirt the water out and then suck the boiled bits out.
The beauty of it is they retract into the rock but the water still gets them.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[ I have tried Berghias, tilefish, peppermint, Joe's Juice for about half a year with little success. It was so bad, that my sexy shrimp wanted to host in an Aptasia:mad:.

This is my tank in February 2019 before using F Aptasia:
ATTACH=full]1076598[/ATTACH]
20190213_165706.jpg
20190114_130239.jpg
20190114_130357.jpg

20190213_165724.jpg

This is my tank now after three months:

20190510_105749.jpg

20190510_105743.jpg

20190408_075849.jpg

I still have some Aptasia in a few places I have missed or they were at an awkward angle to reach. I have since targeted those with another blast of F Aptasia.

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely CBB

So here's the deal with CBBs

They only eat baby Aiptasia bc the medium to large size Aiptasia stings them when they pick at it to eat it.

CBBs instinctively know to not mess with med to lrg Aiptasia

CBBs...... DO EAT baby Aiptasia bc it's a snack and they dont get stung.

It's on YOU to kill med to lrg size Aiptasia....and when the spores grow baby ones the CBB will gobble those up.

You take care of the med/lrg ones, CBB takes care of baby ones..... in 2mos you'll be Aiptasia free
Got it? :D

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only 100% way to eradicate is using berghia nudis

On 2 different occasions having received Aiptasia as a hitchhiker I used Bergia Nudi’s and they will absolutely do the job!!! Not cheap but honestly the best route to go... sad thing is they die off as they finish all the Aiptasia......

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered 8 for my 180. First time last year I only had 2 and they wiped the aptaisia out!

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where can I purchase berghia nudibranchs? I am also thinking of purchasing 2 filefish and a copperband aptasia has spread like wildfire in my tank. I used Joe's Lemon juice when I only had one. I swear I came back a week later and they popped up like weeds.

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, very occasionally, notice a small aptasia here or there. So far, they've been in spots I could easily remove them. Had considered a Berghia or two, but feel bad about the possibility of starving them after their work is done. Are they large enough/visible enough to remove and re home?
Ive seen them an inch long. They are more active at night..... probably the principal reason is fish will eat them. I move one in the day time didn;t get him in a non visible space this damsel saw him and ate him up! didn't think it was an issue with that particular damsel because he had tasted one before and spit it out. aquired a taste I guess.

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[ I have tried Berghias, tilefish, peppermint, Joe's Juice for about half a year with little success. It was so bad, that my sexy shrimp wanted to host in an Aptasia:mad:.

This is my tank in February 2019 before using F Aptasia:
ATTACH=full]1076598[/ATTACH]
20190213_165706.jpg
20190114_130239.jpg
20190114_130357.jpg

20190213_165724.jpg

This is my tank now after three months:

20190510_105749.jpg

20190510_105743.jpg

20190408_075849.jpg

I still have some Aptasia in a few places I have missed or they were at an awkward angle to reach. I have since targeted those with another blast of F Aptasia.

Holy crap. I would’ve been in heaven with my laser and all those aips.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me second guessing my decision to try a File Fish. Currently in QT. Definitely don't want it munching on my SPS polyps. Dang!!!!!
What did you end up doing? My filefish came out of quarantine on Aug. 2nd, so far Freddy hasn't bothered any SPS, Zoa, or mushrooms, but I'm pretty sure he is bothering some aptasia. There have been a couple that got pretty big, like 1-2 inches long, and I noticed the other day they aren't as "happy" as they once were and I'm pretty sure a few tentacles are gone. One is under a toadstool that Freddy likes to hang out under as well, and the other is amongst some Zoa, only the aptasia appears to be munched on. I fed him pretty good in the quarantine tank, and he is still coming to the front of the tank to eat when I feed the others some Rod's food, but he won't eat flake so every once in awhile I feed flake, to keep him hungry and encourage him to keep picking at the aptasia.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? My filefish came out of quarantine on Aug. 2nd, so far Freddy hasn't bothered any SPS, Zoa, or mushrooms, but I'm pretty sure he is bothering some aptasia. There have been a couple that got pretty big, like 1-2 inches long, and I noticed the other day they aren't as "happy" as they once were and I'm pretty sure a few tentacles are gone. One is under a toadstool that Freddy likes to hang out under as well, and the other is amongst some Zoa, only the aptasia appears to be munched on. I fed him pretty good in the quarantine tank, and he is still coming to the front of the tank to eat when I feed the others some Rod's food, but he won't eat flake so every once in awhile I feed flake, to keep him hungry and encourage him to keep picking at the aptasia.

After QT I put the file fish in my frag tank to watch him around coral. A few weeks in the frag tank it developed some sort of fungus and wound up passing away. I have a few peppermint shrimp in the main display who were able to dodge my wrasses and they are picking off some of the aptasia. I only have a few left. Been using Joe's juice to get the easy to reach aptasia.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After QT I put the file fish in my frag tank to watch him around coral. A few weeks in the frag tank it developed some sort of fungus and wound up passing away. I have a few peppermint shrimp in the main display who were able to dodge my wrasses and they are picking off some of the aptasia. I only have a few left. Been using Joe's juice to get the easy to reach aptasia.
Aww, that's to bad. He is definitely messing with the larger ones in my tank, they are missing tenticles, and yesterday I actually observed him eating one of the aptasia that had sprung up in the middle of some zoas on a rock at the bottom of my tank. So far he has been a good tenant, not bothering anything else. It also ate some finely chopped up scallop last night with the other fish.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back