AquaART's 92 Gallon Rimless Build

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!
I'm new here so let me give you guys a quick backstory before I dive in: I’ve been contemplating about building an aquarium for years. I’ve had my on and off days wondering if, as a college student, I could support myself both financially and physically with the extra burden of a reef aquarium on my shoulders. Back in 2012 I started my first Nano and joined TheReefTank Fourms, and my first ever experience with saltwater aquaria had begun. Two years later, I got rid of the tank. Ever since, my fingers have been parched and only the salty waters of a new aquarist adventure would quench them.

Two months ago, after a long contemplative thought process, I have decided to begin the first steps into the largest aquarium I have ever owned. Yes — finally, it’s time to start my own build thread! I am excited to be able to share the beginnings of a new chapter in my aquarium obsession.

Welcome everyone to:
AQUA Art's Official 92 Gallon Rimless Build

Logistics%20Icon%20Small_zpsawiedtin.png

Logistical Disclaimer.
As a Junior in college, I will be updating this thread primarily on a weekend to bi-weekly basis as that’s when I have the most available free time. I this build in the Summer, of course, I’ll document everything along the way. I will try to respond and contribute whenever I can throughout the week.

Fish%20Tank%20Icon%20Small_zpsttlhxwrr.png

The Glass Box.
Size: 92 Actual Gallons — 59" Long, 20" Wide, 22" Tall. 5/8" Ultra-Clear Glass
I knew that if I wanted a new aquarium setup, it simply had to be rimless. I want the tank itself to be as much of a feature statement in our home as the inhabitants themselves, and I personally really like the look of fine polished glass beside shimmering water.

At first, I was thinking of going the custom route, but I was under serious sticker shock about how expensive rimless custom aquariums actually are. For a time, I was discouraged of doing anything larger than 50 gallons because of the startup costs. Last week, I caught glimpse of an aquarium store liquidating their leftover inventory and I spotted a Red Sea Reefer 450, tank only, that looked simply incredible. It was beyond perfect for my needs and I took it home for $500.

Equipment%20Icon%20Small_zpskts0l3ie.png

The Equipment.
I'll post pictures of what I have later, but I have pretty much everything I need! ATO, ReturnPump, Substrate, Rock, Lighting (still under debate), PowerHeads, Heaters, Test Kits, Salt, Mixing Station Barrels, Etc. Etc.
Note: I am fairly new to this hobby and this is my first aquarium over 20 gallons, so please, any criticism regarding my methods or equipment choices is not only welcome, but encouraged!

Flag%20Small_zpsfrkdhci2.png

It's a Wrap!
So far that’s it! See ya'll later and as always, happy reefing!

IMG_6136_zpsst3ki1tw.jpg

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's Get Up-To-Speed.
It's been a while since I started this build, so I just wanted to throw in some updates:

IMG_6157_zpsfgj3mmv5.jpg

I went with the E-Shopps AXIUM X-350 because I wanted something with a large body for a really long contact time. E-Shopps just came out with a new line and I decided to give it a shot!

IMG_6158_zpstcwmos4t.jpg

I must say, however, my initial reaction is not too optimistic.
Firstly, it's huge — and I like huge. Sadly that's where the positive variables take a pause.

IMG_6160_zpsdhhpx8og.jpg

IMG_6163_zps2ri9975y.jpg

The build quality for this skimmer is somewhat poor, particularity the bubble filled seams. Secondly, my Sicce pump is the standard grey color and doesn't match the entire design of the skimmer — note the pump is advertised as white. I called eshopps and am waiting to hear back on if I can get that exchanged. I was told that they rushed the units to market prior to receiving their shipments of white bodied pumps.
So I returned that Skimmer!

March 04, 2017: Some more Goodies,

IMG_6175_zpsbmmmmaey.jpg

BRS RO/DI Upgrade kit and a Tunze Osmolator! I never even seen one of these ATO's in person before... It's so awesome to be the owner of one.
IMG_6173_zps0tdstkl8.jpg

Just a few random woodworking tools... I also got a little router table coming in!

IMG_6154_zpsqgdrgx4u.jpg

The Lighting System

So here is the main pièce de résistance, my new LED's! I went with the AI Hydra 26HD!

IMG_6138_zpslmwfzvok.jpg

IMG_6152_zpst5t7j4zi.jpg

Backstory: Interesting week with these lights though, here's what happened: I sold three AI 26HD lights to a client and all one of them had a defective WiFi driver with a white (Red/Green/Blue) LED status symbol. I was at their home all day yesterday — 900 Gallon Aquarium! — connecting and reconnecting, trying to figure out what was wrong until we called AI and got a notice that this is a WiFi module defect. AI was extremely helpful and without hesitation said they would ship a replacement with a return label. Shout out to Toth! Anyways, I thought "no problem, I got my three lights at home, I'll swing by tomorrow and get him a new light." Two hours later the client called and said another light was doing the same thing! So today I was at his home since 6am trying to make things right so he would stick with AquaIllumination Lights as it was looking like he was going to go with a different route. I gave him all three of my LED's and took all the defects. I must say this was incredibly strange and somewhat disenchant for what I assume is a quality product.

I've never had a problem with AI's customer service so I have a feeling that everything will all be taken care of soon.

Quick Question While on this Topic.
Will I be able to grow most coral in my 20" water depth with Two Hydra 26HD's? I am very unfamiliar with LED fixtures', Lux, Spectral, and PAR outputs. I am planning for my aquascape be minimal and will be the "two island" approach.

March 15, 2017: Moving Along

I've been extremely busy but I managed to get a few things done.

Firstly, I found a great deal on a used Skimz Leopard SL183 and decided to jump on it. I didn't really want a skimmer this small but I think it will work perfectly until I feel the need to upgrade.

IMG_6212_zps9jhd791q.jpg

IMG_6213_zpsyh94rg49.jpg

Initially, I did not want an aquarium controller, as I wanted to keep the setup as simple as possible; however, after finding an Apex controller for just around $370 I jumped on it. So, I took the golden opportunity of a cancelled class today and ran an Ethernet wire.

IMG_6248_zpse4dcikzi.jpg

I also got one of my, now, favorite pieces of equipment. This little router table. I can't believe that I had lived without one for so long... such a nifty little tool.

IMG_6252_zpsvebma3bl.jpg

IMG_6250_zpspopoiyxo.jpg

After getting my router, I decided to see if I would be able to tackle that sump I was planning on building. I got a quote for a custom sump for around $400, or I can make my own sump, ATO Container, and Dosing Container for around $240 — upgraded to 3/8" for $330. After having the first run using the standard capillary method I got a surprisingly nice little box. It holds water perfectly and I am waiting for a solid week or two to see if I can pull the panels apart.
UPDATE: The seams were ridiculously strong. I'm still wondering if I should use the pin method for the real build.

IMG_6254_zpsnlkolywv.jpg

Finally, I got the defective Hydra's replaced so I'm back in the race. Unfortunately, one of the Hydras' spectrum is off from the other two [a lighter blue tinge]. It's driving my OCD insane, but after having so many issues I don't know If I want to deal with the whole RMA process again.

Anywho — that's all folks. Hope to talk to ya'll soon!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back