AquaIllumination Blade Announced

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BRS is releasing a series of light testing videos. From what I can infer:
  • 2 AI Blades should cover a 24" wide space for LPS/mixed tanks. ~ 1 fixture per 12" of width.
  • 3 AI Blades should cover a 24" wide space for acro dominant tanks. ~ 1 fixture per 6" of width.
This light could be a game-changer. I have a pair of popular grow LED strips with alternating 420nm, 470nm, and cool white LEDs. It is the best lighting solution I have had (ironically, similar spectrum as AI Blade Grow).

What could be a deal breaker with the AI Blade LED? - Mounting height.

It will be awful if they have to be hung less than 8" high. That leaves little room to work on the tank. So far, most videos I have seen have them sitting very close to the tank.

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am told that 5 will cover my 36” wide peninsula. I think 6 will be needed long term but that’s the great thing about a more modular approach. You can add on super easy especially if you plan for it when designing how to mount them
Was that 5 of the 30” long ones?

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These have me so torn. I've been wanting exactly this light to add fill light to my hydras. And ever sense Ryan started talking about point source and fill light I figured they were coming. But for this price, the split models bug me. They could have been this price and given me all the channels to do exactly what I want with one light, or they could have been cheaper so I could feel good about buying 2. I don't know, I'll have to think on this but I don't see how they are beating cheaper options for me.

Also though I want to say I'm super stoked that the big names are getting into strip lights. Being able to mimic a MH + T5 combo is the holy grail and this is one step closer to reefing Nirvana.

Last edited:

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they're really not. They're almost exactly the same dollar per watt - except the ecotech brand (same company) is much better built, and won't melt on you.

Prime16HD - 59w - $249 $4.22/w
Hydra32 - 90w $429 $4.76/w
XR15 G6 - 105w $499 $4.75/w
Hydra64 - 135w $719 $5.32/w
XR30 G6 - 215w $949 $4.41/w

And the Prime stops being cheaper once you factor in that you need twice as many mounts. (and that's not getting into the option that there are other lights that are way better choices in the Prime's price range, and it's one of the least economical 50w lights on the market)

Blade 21" Glow - 40w, $269, $6.73/w
Blade 48" Glow -100w, $569, $5.69/w
Blade 66" Glow - 140w, $769, $5.49/w

None of these look economical at all - unless they're using way more efficient technology than they are in the Radion lights and producing light at a significantly greater PAR/watt - which they're not.

Orphek OR3-60 (24") - 30w, $140, $4.66/w
Orphek OR3-120 (48") - 60w, $180, $3/w
Orphek OR3-150 (60") - 75w, $290, $3.86/w

Now, $/w is a rough measurement here - but those 4ft Orpheks sure seem like a sweet spot to me.

Also, why are they putting 95 degree optics on these and then recommending low mount kits?

While this is just looking at watts. I don’t think the Orpheks are good option. It looks like a normal strip of alternating diodes. The blade has the clusters which I think will provide more consistent spread of wavelengths which is important.
And Orpheks don’t look like they can be standalone lights. They aren’t smart lights either so not as easy to control. And you’re forgetting about mounting options.
To me Blade having in the box way to just sit on the aquarium, lowers cost. And it looks way easier to manage. That all makes it’s price look way better.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Comparing individual lens LEDs to the Blade is completely missing the point. Also pricing per watt is pointless. How the light is distributed is so different that it’s not even apples to orange. It’s apples to broccoli.

The PAR numbers don’t lie. These are so superior to any other LED bar it’s crazy.

Quick example for my own setup. YMMV.

I’ve had multiple people with them already confirm I’d achieve SPS numbers with 5 of the 57” Blades over my 72*36*22 peninsula found in my build thread. We will say it is roughly $3500 (not cheap by any means but I’m not in the race to the bottom.) For $3500 I can’t even get 4 Radions and already know 4 can’t cover my tank. I’d need 2 6 bulb ATI Sunpowers running me close to $1400 plus $300 in bulbs. Then $300 or more in bulb replacements yearly all while running double the power.

I expect most LEDs to last 5 years. If we get longer, great but I don’t plan on that. So $1500 in bulbs putting me super close to that $3500 mark. The Sunpowers look worse over the tank (personal preference), run hotter (not a huge deal in my basement ymmv) and I already plan on the ballasts not lasting 5 years and replacing them is a major hassle. Not to mention dealing with and recycling 12 T5 bulbs every year. There’s also a good chance that Europe outlaws T5s soon enough and that’s where a lot of ours come from. Not trying to dissuade anyone over this rumor we’ve listened to for more than 10 years but it’s a possibility we have to keep in mind.

PAR per dollar is a MUCH better metric and the Blade is one of the lowest out there unless you really want to use the Ali special. Nothing wrong with that if that’s your thing.

LiquidFunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing individual lens LEDs to the Blade is completely missing the point. Also pricing per watt is pointless. How the light is distributed is so different that it’s not even apples to orange. It’s apples to broccoli.

The PAR numbers don’t lie. These are so superior to any other LED bar it’s crazy.

Quick example for my own setup. YMMV.

I’ve had multiple people with them already confirm I’d achieve SPS numbers with 5 of the 57” Blades over my 72*36*22 peninsula found in my build thread. We will say it is roughly $3500 (not cheap by any means but I’m not in the race to the bottom.) For $3500 I can’t even get 4 Radions and already know 4 can’t cover my tank. I’d need 2 6 bulb ATI Sunpowers running me close to $1400 plus $300 in bulbs. Then $300 or more in bulb replacements yearly all while running double the power.

I expect most LEDs to last 5 years. If we get longer, great but I don’t plan on that. So $1500 in bulbs putting me super close to that $3500 mark. The Sunpowers look worse over the tank (personal preference), run hotter (not a huge deal in my basement ymmv) and I already plan on the ballasts not lasting 5 years and replacing them is a major hassle. Not to mention dealing with and recycling 12 T5 bulbs every year. There’s also a good chance that Europe outlaws T5s soon enough and that’s where a lot of ours come from. Not trying to dissuade anyone over this rumor we’ve listened to for more than 10 years but it’s a possibility we have to keep in mind.

PAR per dollar is a MUCH better metric and the Blade is one of the lowest out there unless you really want to use the Ali special. Nothing wrong with that if that’s your thing.
3x XR30 is $2850, leaving plenty for mounting. You really would rather have 5 blades at only 57" each on a 72" tank?

Something tells me you work for Aperture to make this choice.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the Refugium model with the reds turned down looks like the best full spectrum option.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x XR30 is $2850, leaving plenty for mounting. You really would rather have 5 blades at only 57" each on a 72" tank?

Why would he be buying 5 blades? The video shows the person getting good PAR and lighting with 2 blades

EDIT: For SPS wouldnt you buy 3 of the 66” one to get the coverage for the 72” tank. So that would be 1800$ Which is much cheaper. And 2 for 1200$ if you want LPS/Soft corals

Last edited:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would he be buying 5 blades? The video shows the person getting good PAR and lighting with 2 blades
You mean the commercial?

There's a whole ton of not understanding physics going on in this thread. Putting multiple LEDs in a single narrow lens doesn't increase spread or coverage.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

3 Radions can not cover my tank. I’ve already looked into that heavily. It will take 6 XR30s to cover my tank.

The 57” will cover my rock work with room to spare. Again, I’ve already seen all the PAR data from BRS and Deven at ReefDudes

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the commercial?

There's a whole ton of not understanding physics going on in this thread. Putting multiple LEDs in a single narrow lens doesn't increase spread or coverage.

Isn’t the cluster not about spread but uniformity of the spread of wavelengths ?

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks. I'm thinking of setting up a 36x36x20 cube. I was guessing 6 of the 30" model would cover this foot print nicely. Would be cheaper to go with these and better coverage over radions 4 xr15 or 2 xr30. Hmmmm
I am told that 5 will cover my 36” wide peninsula. I think 6 will be needed long term but that’s the great thing about a more modular approach. You can add on super easy especially if you plan for it when designing how to mount them

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of irrational hate in this thread!

My only real gripe is that with previous (puck-style) AI lights, we had the option to have growth AND "pop" settings in one light. With the Blade, we have to choose growth OR "pop", or buy multiple lights.

Yes, the Blade has many other features that are appealing to me. Diffused, even lighting from end-to-end is my #1 goal, so that would make the Blade a no-brainer. But I keep getting stuck on the limited spectrum.

I have a Nuvo 30L that could EASILY be lit by a single Blade, but I have to choose if I want the Grow or Glow, or if I go with a Grow and add a second Blade Glow that I don't REALLY need (for PAR or coverage) because I want the colors to pop too. If I have a tank that could be lit by two Blades, do I go with one Grow and one Glow or two Grows? If I go two Grows, but want some pop, do I add the third Blade Glow and turn them all down?

See what I mean? Why not put a couple more LEDs in each cluster, add a bit to the price and make it a single strip option? Like a long, skinny AI Prime! That's where they missed the mark, IMO.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My only real gripe is that with previous (puck-style) AI lights, we had the option to have growth AND "pop" settings in one light. With the Blade, we have to choose growth OR "pop", or buy multiple lights.

Yes, the Blade has many other features that are appealing to me. Diffused, even lighting from end-to-end is my #1 goal, so that would make the Blade a no-brainer. But I keep getting stuck on the limited spectrum.

I have a Nuvo 30L that could EASILY be lit by a single Blade, but I have to choose if I want the Grow or Glow, or if I go with a Grow and add a second Blade Glow that I don't REALLY need (for PAR or coverage) because I want the colors to pop too. If I have a tank that could be lit by two Blades, do I go with one Grow and one Glow or two Grows? If I go two Grows, but want some pop, do I add the third Blade Glow and turn them all down?

See what I mean? Why not put a couple more LEDs in each cluster, add a bit to the price and make it a single strip option? Like a long, skinny AI Prime! That's where they missed the mark, IMO.

The Grow has plenty of royal blue to pop colors. ReefDudes showed it off on his tank last night on his live. Corals were plenty colorful IMO.

56652341-58C0-4877-AB28-46260F30352C.jpeg

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks. I'm thinking of setting up a 36x36x20 cube. I was guessing 6 of the 30" model would cover this foot print nicely. Would be cheaper to go with these and better coverage over radions 4 xr15 or 2 xr30. Hmmmm
I’m in the same boat as you, I’ve got a 36x36x24 tank I’m getting ready to setup

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%

Back