AquaIllumination Blade Announced

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where they completely missed the mark is not having one between the Grow and Freshwater spectrum wise. Think of these like T5s. We have the actinic, Blue Plus, and 6500k bulbs. We need the Coral Plus version and these 100% make a compelling case to be a main light.

6 of them will cover my 72x36 peninsula. That is roughly $3600. 4 Radions aren't going to sniff that coverage for the same price and the Radions won't mount as cleanly. Large panel LEDs are the future and making them modular is key. Just wish I wouldn't need SIX PLUGS to run them. Even with a splitter putting 2 on one outlet, that is a lot of wires to manage and clean up.
100% a high quality meanwell driver that can run 4 would be a great option.

The spectrum choices seem a step backwards on a fixture that’s moving forward in every other way.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% a high quality meanwell driver that can run 4 would be a great option.

The spectrum choices seem a step backwards on a fixture that’s moving forward in every other way.

My feeling is these were meant to be fill light and more supplemental. Add to what you already have for less shadowing. Then hopefully they add in more spectrum down the road. Call it the Ectoech Bladion or something and give better spectrum.

Price per PAR these are one of the cheapest ways to go

XavierZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna leave this here...
Screenshot_20230104_133612_Chrome.jpg
UVspectrum1.jpg

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not being super versed on the Orphek bar offerings, does anyone know if those offer true UV spectrum? I’m assuming that they’re still not controllable/dimmable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
U can have a light put out 400 par but if it’s shadowed that number is diminished to lower PUR #s. Prbly wrap the tank w light like a T5
Im more concerned about coverage and penetration as I run Large tanks. I happen to run all Orphek and am totally satisfied with all lighting aspects. Shading is often due to lack of spectrum, placement and coral placement.
I think ive tried most every light out there over 4 decades and every time you think you have the best- out comes a new one again

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feeling is these were meant to be fill light and more supplemental. Add to what you already have for less shadowing. Then hopefully they add in more spectrum down the road. Call it the Ectoech Bladion or something and give better spectrum.

Price per PAR these are one of the cheapest ways to go
Yeah, although 400 bucks a pop for 4ft ones is a lot for fill. I think these are being marketed as primary lights, otherwise the par would probably be lower?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it crazy to expect a little more from a company that likely has a collective larger R&D budget than anyone else in the hobby? They should be able to make the “gotta have it” light at the right price.

Im just imagining how many points of potential failure there are running 2 of these and 2 Hydras…

Last edited:

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more expensive than I was hoping, but they look very interesting. I was looking for a fill light on my tank since I have some shadowed corners. I like that it would sync with my Radions and it is easy to mount with a decent spectrum.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, although 400 bucks a pop for 4ft ones is a lot for fill. I think these are being marketed as primary lights, otherwise the par would probably be lower?

A 4 foot XHO is $300 with zero control and far less spectrum. The XHO also doesn’t have the same spread or any water resistance. Mounting options are also more limited.

I agree it’s a little high for just fill light but these look to be a contender for main lighting as well so it could strike a nice balance between the two.

I’m looking at these as legit T5 replacements. Almost 2 T5s are replaced per one Blade. Had they brought out a better saltwater daylight version, it’s basically plug and play and super easy. Couple Blue Plus, a Coral Plus and maybe an actinic. Depending on one’s own preference.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4 foot XHO is $300 with zero control and far less spectrum. The XHO also doesn’t have the same spread or any water resistance. Mounting options are also more limited.

I agree it’s a little high for just fill light but these look to be a contender for main lighting as well so it could strike a nice balance between the two.

I’m looking at these as legit T5 replacements. Almost 2 T5s are replaced per one Blade. Had they brought out a better saltwater daylight version, it’s basically plug and play and super easy. Couple Blue Plus, a Coral Plus and maybe an actinic. Depending on one’s own preference.
That’s fair, although a 4 foot lumi lite pro is 200. If you just want to fill in some shadows with blue light I imagine they do the job.

I do agree the spectrums leave something to be desired. Maybe would have been better to add a fifth or sixth led to each cluster and increase the cost a little?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back