Aquarium Controller Cabinet, Product?

FernandesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome idea, and hope you are able to pull this off!
Will you be able to ship to the UK?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
9BD4DDE7-997D-4EE7-8B44-A3A958CD6F9D.jpeg

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome idea, and hope you are able to pull this off!
Will you be able to ship to the UK?

Yes, It will be sold in Europe but like most this will take a little longer. This will be on market soon and the goal is to have it carried by the online retailers and LFS. It is a balancing act to keep cost acceptable but have the businesses that sell it make a little :).

Nice, Great product overall :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these custom kits or a one size fits all? apex or GHL

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these custom kits or a one size fits all? apex or GHL

The idea is the "base" unit will have mounting spots like the MD controller board. From there you can buy custom cut ones for a bunch of product, This will be done on demand. There will be blanks sold as well and led and non led logos.

I want to get the base units out with a hand full of face plate options but that library of options would grow over time.

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! you might want to take a look at vacuum forming, it might be a perfect solution for "standard" models on the cheap. My business is bus seating fabrication, some of the parts (covers mostly) we make with 3mm ABS sheets and thermoform them in a vacuum machine. The original piece can be modeled in CAD and made in a wood CNC router, that would be the most expensive thing, the ABS sheets cost around 4.50 per kilo and a manufacturer could thermoform your pieces in no time and on the cheap side. I said ABS because that´s waht i work with, but there are plenty of thermo plastics you could use, even acrylic...

I would volunteer but shipping from Mexico could be a deal breaker regarding freight cost, just my two cents

Carl Eckelman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

Some of you may know that every once and a while ill build a cabinet or controller stand for someone local or just for fun.

Like this:
40232424630_427d36ebf1_b.jpg

The main issue with building things like this is the overall cost.

Well... I think i have figured out a way to make this obtainable for the cost of a average acrylic sump that is sold by the big retailers.

The idea would be flat packed to your door with a simple assembly.
thumbnail (1).jpg

Once built would look like this:
thumbnail (5).jpg

The unit is sized to fit the most popular systems from Red sea to Waterbox and if it is a little tight I have a optional base that you can use to place beside your system.
thumbnail (3).jpg

The face plates are interchangeable with the most popular product die cut and custom fit. Almost anything is possible so the customization is almost unlimited. I also have most of the popular Ipads and so on already mounted. There will be vinyl wraps to customize color and texture as well.
thumbnail.jpg

Once all installed the whole face is removable from the cabinet for easy access.
thumbnail (4).jpg

At this point these are just the first 2 prototypes but I have finished units already done and boxes. I am sending a bunch out for final real world testing. The plan is also to give some away here on R2R if i can sort it out.

As for who or when it will hit market as of now the who is still up in the air and the when is soon. I am talking to "people" to get this out as fast as possible.

I wanted to get some feed back on this from the R2R community as I think this would be a cool product that no only helps people keep there systems clean but also will let people to get the full custom look without the cost.

whats your thoughts?

thumbnail (2).jpg
Larger with some storage would be nice. It looks awesome but I have 6 power heads and an apex head and strip and doser.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you’re ready to send. Looks awesome!

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger with some storage would be nice. It looks awesome but I have 6 power heads and an apex head and strip and doser.

If i made it any larger it would not fit the most common tanks and the price would jump. Its a balance act to make anything fit as many peoples needs as possible without the overall cost going out of control.

Let me know when you’re ready to send. Looks awesome!

Soon. I hope in the next few weeks I have everything figured out to the point I have a launch date. I am thinking next 6 weeks or so they will be listed.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna share an idea/concept I am working towards.
My plan is to build a box that will slide in and out of the cabinet. Using bottom drawer slides. The “box” will allow access to everything on both sides.
Dosing on one side and controls on the other.
Also I can have something on the end cap too. Build the entire thing out of MDF. 1/4” to 3/4” depending on what part of the structure part.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna share an idea/concept I am working towards.
My plan is to build a box that will slide in and out of the cabinet. Using bottom drawer slides. The “box” will allow access to everything on both sides.
Dosing on one side and controls on the other.
Also I can have something on the end cap too. Build the entire thing out of MDF. 1/4” to 3/4” depending on what part of the structure part.

Yea the Drawer slides work well in this application. I have even done a small testing / work station on the top so when you slide out the cabinet you also get a little table. This is quite handy on the newer tanks :).

MDF is great and easy to work with, However it can be a pain to keep over time due to saltwater.

41508713492_7dc7e1de35_k.jpg

41508713632_db275d6535_k.jpg

I have gone back and forth on adding this option to the Controller Cabinet but in the end it is cost prohibitive and would require the end user to "attach " the unit to there stand. I want this product to be non intrusive as in if you remove it there is no trace. All of the "holes and tape" would be on the unit and not your nice aquarium stand.

However this might be added as a add on for the bottom of the unit...

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overall goal of this product is to fit as many application as possible with also the ability to fully customize to your needs. This unit also can be used by LFS as a point of sale display to show off equipment and logos.

The parameters are tight on cost as I want this whole product to be affordable or as stated above around the cost of a standard sump that is on the market now. I have had to pull back from some ideas as they are just cost prohibitive and I do NOT want this to be a $1,000 product or even a $500.00 one.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sliding drawer thought for containers for dosing, test kit storage etc. I like the top to double as a work space to maybe run your tests. A spot for an alkatronic or such and a huge thing would be some sort of cable/cord management option upgrade. Maybe a spill liner option for he bottom if people plan to use ATO or dosing containers in it.

Corey

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea. I currently live in an apartment. My woodworking shop is in storage and completely inaccessible. I need to put my controller in a cabinet but my options are limited to purchasing something pre-fabbed . I’m really looking forward to seeing how your project progresses.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea. I currently live in an apartment. My woodworking shop is in storage and completely inaccessible. I need to put my controller in a cabinet but my options are limited to purchasing something pre-fabbed . I’m really looking forward to seeing how your project progresses.

It will be for sale in a few weeks :). I am working out Canada right now..

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retail price will be $399.99 USD. I think this is decent... I wanted it to be a little lower but with the overall order volume that would be a hard sell..

Will come flat packed to a point and will require assembly. 1/2" and 1/4" PVC construction. Will have standard face plates that can be mounted to right out of the box complete with wire management.

The "inserts" will be $60 to $100 usd working on the actual price now. There are quite a few options so will standardize this. Also working on a option for a flat rate custom so you can order logos and so on.

I am working on who will have them in the US, Europe and Canada. If all of it fails or no online retailer will play ball, I will just start selling them off my site in 4 weeks or so. I would ship worldwide as I already do this with other non reef related products.

I plan on posting more pictures of the finished one soon, I have boxes on the way and will be doing all the not so fun stuff of a product launch :p.

Should be a fun product for sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back