Aquarium Lid: A Downhill Battle

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Just looking for some help with my lid. If you don’t want to read all this, skip to the bold! I’ve been working on my 75g build for some time now and it’s been doing well. I’m actually seeing my fist diatoms and I couldn’t be more proud. However, I’ve really been struggling with getting an aquarium lid && need some help. I used some thin acrylic from Home Depot that concaved less than a week of being on the tank. Right down the middle and into the water :( I then tried glass, but the glass store could only cut out holes for the return pump and stuff if it was 1/4” thick. This worked okay until I put a new coral into the tank while it was still in the bag.. You see, my overflow is pretty high up, and, as a result, my water level is also “high up. SReally jig jkdeee.

I need something that is going to: allow ample light to pass, be lightweight, and be easy to cut. So what material should I use?

I’m trying to avoid mesh and any heavy glass. My tank is going through a decent amount of water each week due to evaporation and the rim isn’t the strongest so it has to be something light-weight.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass from Home depot, cut it yourself. Only reduces light by about 5%. Never bends. Costs about $10

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corrugated plastic sheets from Lowe's or home Depot. They will raise a little and let a little air out but not bad. Have them on all my freshwater tanks
Wouldn’t this block a lot of light though?

Glass from Home depot, cut it yourself. Only reduces light by about 5%. Never bends. Costs about $10
I thought of this too! But when it’s as thin as I want it, it breaks too easily to cut. When it’s as thick as I need it, it is too heavy for the rim/brace on my tank && is basically sitting inside of the water.

Last edited:

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t this block a lot odlight though?

I thought of this too! But when it’s as thin as I want it, it breaks too easily to cut. When it’s as thick as I need it, it is too heavy for the rim/brace on my tank && is basically sitting inside of the water.
No, it's what I use on all my tanks, it cuts fine with the standard glass cutter.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small cuts like that are always hard in thin glass. For that kind of thing, instead of trying to cut a perfectly sized hole, I cut one a little bigger in a smooth curve. So instead of a 1x1 square, a rounded shape that contains about the same area.

You are right that corner cuts like that are the only tricky part of the process, but only the first time or two. If you buy an extra piece of glass you can practice on it. Good luck :)

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it is 99% transparent. Here's a freshwater tank with it
15868171660151266237203484743228.jpg

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 6mm (1/4") acrylic cut into 1.5" strips. Then I used a router to cut an 1/8 slot and used mosquito netting with screen spine. It's been working well for me for several years.

IMG_20180513_230810.jpg

IMG_20180518_125413.jpg

IMG_20180518_125532.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass breaks - there's nothing like trying to find pieces of nearly invisible glass in your tank amongst the rocks. Acrylic warps - as you have already found out. Both require frequent cleaning and will greatly restrict oxygen exchange. They also trap heat.

Just go the easy route - a DIY screen top using Aluminum window screen frames and 1/4" clear (or black) mesh from BRS. To make it easy to route cords, I made my tops in two sections. The first is !2" wide and stays in place on the back. I cut small slits in the mesh to run cords through. The larger front section are easily removable for water changes/feeding/etc.

60Htf6tl.jpg

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trapping heat is a feature not a bug :) saves on energy costs.

Screen lids allow evaporation, the reduction of evaporation is a goal of having the lid in the first place.

I can see arguments for a screen lid in very hot climates, but wow the amount of RODI I'd go through if I used screen lids.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go through 15 gallons a week with a bigger tank, its about average. Just something we have to deal with.
Unless your room is on the hot side in a dry climate you should be fine with a mesh cover.

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for their input! But I did go with 3/32” glass from Home Depot. $20 later and I’ve got my lid. Kinda annoying the multiple “professional” glass stores I spoke with said it couldn’t be done :rolleyes: But here it is! I know there’s pros and cons to using mesh screen vs. glass. But I had screen on my last tank and want something different here. Credit where it’s due though, @Billdoggs DIY route was tempting + @Ratherbeflyen’s design has a very nice, sleek look. @90's reefer egg crate is a genius idea that 100% didnt occur to me at all through all this Lol but special thanks to @EMeyer, going with half circles instead of squares was SO much easier! Cutting the glass was tricky at first. But once I got the hang of it, it quickly became a fun little project. @WvAquatics, your idea was going to be my next resort if the glass didn’t work. You proposed a great idea :)

Thank you everyone!!

5C6508E9-57E0-4B76-9940-F80FCCFC6A66.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back