Aquarium Maintenance Apps (Non Controller Related)

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I searched R2R today and could only find a few examples of applications for those who do not have controllers (or wish to just use an app) that would track the daily/weekly maintenance of our wonderful hobby! I am no longer using my Apex and there were several ideas and an example or two of what people are using, but I thought I would write this up in hopes it gives a little better outline of some options available.

I immediately ran into an issue after finding a few that come up on a simple google search as they were iOS related and I do not have an iPhone. So I found this write up posted by Aqua Tech back in 2016 and this is what they had to say.

Aquarium Note

The designers created Aquarium Note for both freshwater and saltwater aquarium hobbyists. If you enjoy keeping aquarium fish, aquatic plants and corals, this app is for you. It helps you record and keep track of water parameters, aquarium maintenance activities, and more. You can also keep track of your aquarium fish and their health. The app also reminds you when it’s time to perform aquarium maintenance, like changing the water or cleaning the tank or filters. The app can even export your data to email, the web, or to a .pdf file. That way, you can always keep tabs on your saltwater or freshwater aquariums no matter where you are.
Get the app here

My thoughts: This was the one that was referenced the most here and it seems to be the most comprehensive of all the things one might consider when wanting to track information related to your maintenance routine.
  1. First it allowed my to add 5 tanks to monitor. I only have one but I seem to have read somewhere that one of the issues with some of these apps is the ability to monitor only one tank, and clearly this is not the case here.
  2. I think its really cool they allow photos so you can take FTS and add them to the tank your monitoring plus the ability in a gallery to house photos of all your livestock.
  3. I think its even cooler that they allow you to take an actual photo of the tests and their results at that given time so you can reference later.
  4. As a finance guy i really appreciate the ability to track your expenses.
  5. The reminder function is nice as it alerts you on the tasks entered.
  6. You can export the data to share and send accordingly
  7. Best of all, ITS FREE
IF there are any shortcomings to this app, it is an older type software so it does not have the "curb appeal" some may want that a lot of the newer apps these days give.

Aquarium Note 2​

Immediately this gives me the feel of my Apex. The Dashboard screen is a summary of the entire app pretty much, as it shows overdue items, upcoming items, notes you may make as well as Todays Tasks. This is the first version on steroids basically, and mostly it gives the "curb appeal" I mentioned above that the first version does not. The biggest difference here is the ads. As we all know the time and energy it takes to develop something like this is not free, so there is a Premium version to this. I really like the fact that they actually give you a 1 day trial to check out the Premium Version and all you have to do is watch 1 30 sec add. It seems to have a General Theme as an option under the paid format as well as what appears to be endless options for tracking whatever parameter you could imagine. It also allows to turn on/off notifications for some or all of the things that may or may not apply to you and your set up.
Get the app here

Aquarium Manager

A freshwater or saltwater aquarium requires regular maintenance. Like most things, it’s easy for chores like these to slip your mind from time to time. Aquarium Manager helps you schedule regular maintenance and feeding tasks in advance. The app also gives you tips on aquarium fish management and feeding, water quality, and more. You can keep a daily diary of your saltwater or freshwater aquarium right on your phone. You can even take photos of your aquarium, so you can share it with your friends and family.
Get the app here

My thoughts:
  1. I could never get the app to load, even thought I deleted and retried several times. I noticed the link shows a "beta" version so maybe they are doing some technical upgrades and we we will have to come back to this
  2. I read the reviews, and the one that stood out was that they could only add 2 tanks to monitor so this may be an issue for some.
  3. We will take liberty here to give them the benefit of the doubt for sure and come back to it at a later time

Aquarium Calculator

This app is a set of tools for new and custom aquariums alike. It calculates tank volume, surface area, and water weight for any type or shape aquarium. You can calculate CO2 and water hardness using common unit conversions. This calculator comes in handy if you need to know how much water you will need for a certain size or custom aquarium designs. It also helps give an estimate of how much the water in the tank will weigh. This is useful to know when placing a new aquarium on a shelf or hutch.
Get the app here

My Thoughts:
  1. Although this is not a maintenance related app, this was really cool give some are looking for specific custom related set ups and the water volume for their tanks.
  2. It has several calculator functions as well as a number of conversion calculations that are helpful (I was looking for one of these conversion figures the other day :))
  3. While not an every day function for me personally, this is something I will add to my "Aquarium Folder" on my phone for reference purposes.

iAquarium Logger
Get the app here
  1. As I mentioned I do not have an iPhone so this is an option for those who might like it, I just personally do not have any feedback to give but I did find this as a option.
AquaMan
Get the app here
  1. As I mentioned I do not have an iPhone so this is an option for those who might like it, I just personally do not have any feedback to give but I did find this as a option.

Well, that is it I guess. I am no professional writer or expert by any means, so other than the original information given by Aqua Tech that I found this is all just an observation and my feedback is all. Hope this helps.

*Mods please feel free to move this to its appropriate location if I have it in the wrong section!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back