Aquarium Serial killers!

Have you ever had a fish or invert go on a killing spree in your tank?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 228 46.2%
  • NO

Votes: 264 53.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquarium Serial killers!

Have you ever had a fish or invert go on a killing spree in your tank? (Could be a trigger that went postal or a shrimp that ate coral...or something else)

teeth.jpg

image source

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Aquarium Serial killers!

Have you ever had a fish or invert go on a killing spree in your tank? (Could be a trigger that went postal or a shrimp that ate coral...or something else)

teeth.jpg

image source
I don't have actual proof but I think a tiger pistol shrimp went rogue and was picking my fish off one by one in the night.

Sharkie_Conch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our filefish nipped hammers and torches constantly, then when we rehomed him to our non coral tank, he would nip snails. He ended up being a tagteam serial killer with our decorator crab. Both had amazingly fun personalities, but the tank was a graveyard of snail shells between the two.

I was sad when they each passed, but I can't say I miss their murder sprees.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of snowflake clowns, and the smaller of the two had been picked on by the larger as is the norm with clowns. Well eventually the smaller one grew and matched size with its tormentor and ended up killing it. I tried adding another smaller clownfish on 2 separate occasions in which she promptly un-alived them shortly after and picked up the name Jaws in the process. She was the meanest clownfish I've ever had

gobybryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of snowflake clowns, and the smaller of the two had been picked on by the larger as is the norm with clowns. Well eventually the smaller one grew and matched size with its tormentor and ended up killing it. I tried adding another smaller clownfish on 2 separate occasions in which she promptly un-alived them shortly after and picked up the name Jaws in the process. She was the meanest clownfish I've ever had
"un-alived them" absolutely sent me hahahaha

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My longhorn cowfish.. all was well until one night he decided to destroy my tube worm (would occasionally pick at them but this was ridiculous) took chunks out of my toadstool and KILLED my cubicus boxfish.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Velvet Damsel......a devil fish. Beautiful fish, but after murdering three of my other community fish, it was removed and put into a witness protection program....a friend's tank that was an aggressive fish only tank.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an arrow crab that i got from a lfs that appearantly developed a taste for skunk cleaner shrimp and he took out a couple of them before i was able to catch him and take him to my buddies lfs ( a different fish store from where the crab came from) and he was put into a tank by himself. I would laugh at that little "red lobster all you can eat shrimp" jerk everytime i went into the store because it was like his time out tank he could have been happy in a 6ft 125 gallon aquarium but he was stuck into a 20 gallon because he thought shrimp was better than roaming space appearantly and it was funny.

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of clowns tag teamed my mollies, I had 7 not all at the same time, I had only three to two at a time. They killed them all I had two for a good while till they killed one off!!! I think I’m done adding and replacing fish to the tank

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice:
  1. Hortulanus Wrasse - Decided immediately upon arriving in the tank that it did not want any cohabitants. In a few days killed a juvenile longnose hawk, one of my firefish and beat up the other.
  2. Falco Hawkfish - had it for a while was great first then decide to go after gobies. Grabbing them and swimming around with it in its mouth. Killed a diamond and de-eyed an orange spot goby. Had to remove all the rocks and coral just to catch it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78E6D6FD-0834-4A69-A156-2B487C35D98B.jpeg

Need I say more…

Only other fish to go on an unprovoked killing spree was my banded leporinus. They have a need for dominance and kill any possible competitors (even passive fish like bala sharks). One of the best looking fish out there though:
6062C0D9-2D30-4C5E-AF1C-0D2F94637A54.jpeg

Hard to blame any predators though, they are just doing what they were made to do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back