Aquascape thoughts?

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my new aquascape for my new IM 75 EXT. Took me about 4hrs to build. I have a few more pieces to add as islands in the front. What do you think? Tomorrow I add sand and water. Cycle starts.

20230818_163815.jpg

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks great.....I would use those small rocks that you are going to add strategically against the base to create a hiding spot (or two) for fish.
Took your advice and added a couple areas for smaller fish to hide. One on the right and 1 left. Got the sand in and half the water yesterday. Finished the rest of the water today.

Attachments

• 20230820_192514.jpg
    20230820_192514.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 86

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very nice but I think you should try and create some actual caves for your fish not just covered openings. Depending on what livestock you choose this may be essential.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very nice but I think you should try and create some actual caves for your fish not just covered openings. Depending on what livestock you choose this may be essential.
Noted. I'll see what I can do. I've got plenty of time before fish go in. Going to start the cycle tomorrow once the water clears a bit more.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my new aquascape for my new IM 75 EXT. Took me about 4hrs to build. I have a few more pieces to add as islands in the front. What do you think? Tomorrow I add sand and water. Cycle starts.

20230818_163815.jpg
Love it!! Wish mine was something like that. Min has some more caves and hiding areas for fish. That is definitely something you need to think about. But you have lots of real-estate for corals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted. I'll see what I can do. I've got plenty of time before fish go in. Going to start the cycle tomorrow once the water clears a bit more.
To give you perspective, I have basically the same size tank with 12 fish in it. At night, every fish there disappears out of sight into his or her preferred cave and I can't see them without a flashlight and most I can't even find.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it!! Wish mine was something like that. Min has some more caves and hiding areas for fish. That is definitely something you need to think about. But you have lots of real-estate for corals.
Thanks. I appreciate it. Lavey29 recommends the same for hiding spaces. I'll work that in over the next week or so.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. What corals are you eventually thinking of having?
I'm not really sure at this point but I will probably start with some lps and softies and then eventually after I get all the equipment I need I would like to try my hand @ acropora. I am just getting back to reefing after about 10 yr. So much has changed. I have a lot still to research. Takin it slow.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give you perspective, I have basically the same size tank with 12 fish in it. At night, every fish there disappears out of sight into his or her preferred cave and I can't see them without a flashlight and most I can't even find.
I don't plan on having that many fish. I will add more rock for hiding spaces for half a dozen fish or so. Thanks.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on having that many fish. I will add more rock for hiding spaces for half a dozen fish or so. Thanks.
Good plan and if you really want to kick start your tank on the right foot make those additional rock pieces real live wet ocean rock and you will be way ahead in the game.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan and if you really want to kick start your tank on the right foot make those additional rock pieces real live wet ocean rock and you will be way ahead in the game.
I have about 15 to 20 lbs of cycled Caribsea rock from a previous setup (not mine) I will be adding to the sump tomorrow. It been in a bucket with a pump for about 2 months. Fed it and performed water changes.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AC guy offered a piece of Tampa Bay live rock from his established tank/sump but he is going thru an algae outbreak right now. I don't want to take on his problem.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 15 to 20 lbs of cycled Caribsea rock from a previous setup (not mine) I will be adding to the sump tomorrow. It been in a bucket with a pump for about 2 months. Fed it and performed water changes.
That's good but won't have the biodiversity and microfauna or real rock straight from the ocean so your tank will only get partial benefits.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I appreciate it. Lavey29 recommends the same for hiding spaces. I'll work that in over the next week or so.
Cool. Keep us updated on the tank. More hiding spaces will make your fish happy and make them feel safe

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back