Aquascaping struggles

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Sammi Mi, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi Well-Known Member

My tank is 60 gallons... kinda skinny as far as depth is concerned. I'm having a hard time getting an aquascape setup I like without touching the walls of my tank. I'm thinking about breaking up some of my larger rocks.
    Also, I'm thinking about taking the sand out and keeping it in a plastic bin with saltwater until I have the aquascaping the way I want it. I think I may have too much sand...I need to build my rocks up off the bottom off the tank or the sand covers a good bit of the rocks.
    Tips, suggestions, ideas, opinions needed please.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I put egg crate on the bottom of my tank to put the rock on. The sand fills in the spaces beneath the rock and I feel it provides a better surface.

As for aquascapes, you just need to find what works for you. I'm not sure what you are looking for but you can work with that depth. I'm guessing you have the same depth as my 120g system. It is tough to work with but you might want to consider a more minimalist set up. Put extra rock in your sump if you need the extra surface area for filtration.
    Keep in mind you may not need to build the rock up as high as you might think if you are going to build a reef tank. It may take a year or two but corals will fill up the top part of a tank once they grow.

3. Sammi Mi

Thank you for the suggestions! Every bit helps

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  4. Sammi Mi

20170425_164058.jpg
    Just realized I had not put any pics in this thread. Here is what I'm working with. This was my second attempt.
    1493289521445787606432.jpg
    This is my third attempt, and what it looks like currently. Didn't have thine yesterday to rearrange.

5. Waters

Waters "...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall." R2R Supporter

I like your third attempt if you could raise the height of the island on the right with some more rock?

6. Jason mack

Jason mack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I like the third one too ... Maybe be move that rock on the far right and build up Your first Island on the left .. but that's just me !

Katrina71 likes this.
  7. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Another possibility to consider...

Take the layout and bridge of layout #2, and move it to the right, so that it's just a couple of inches from the glass, then add a tall-ish but slim second "island" on the left, separate from the main reef structure.

Just a thought . . .

~Bruce

8. Sammi Mi

Thanks, I will have to give that a try...I like the third the best too... just something about it wasn't quite right...I think at this point I might just need to make small adjustments

Maritimer likes this.
  9. Sammi Mi

@Jason mack
    That's a good idea too! Thanks!
    I love this forum... everyone has been so helpful

Maritimer likes this.
  10. Sammi Mi

Soo many great ideas...I will definitely be trying this one out. Thanks for the opinion, sounds like it might look pretty cool.

Maritimer likes this.
  11. Sammi Mi

Any opinions on taking the sand out?
    I've had one person tell me that it would just turn to soup and make a mess. And I had another person say that it might not be a bad idea...
    Every time that I try to move my rocks around I end up creating a sandstorm, which makes it very difficult to see what I'm doing.

12. Reef2zach

Reef2zach Well-Known Member

I like to make caves for my fish to hide in and swim through. Maybe get some more rock. I like the look of your 3rd setup.

Sammi Mi likes this.
  13. Sammi Mi

I would like to have at least one cave. But rather than buying more rock and taking the chance of overcrowding my tank, I think I'm going to break up one or two of the larger pieces... and hope and pray they break the way I wamt them too

Jason mack likes this.
  14. Sammi Mi

Ok guys, 5th and final aquascape! I got it set up finallly! :D:D:D
    20170430_082706.jpg
    Whole tank view 20170430_082718.jpg
    Close up of the rock on the left 20170430_082726.jpg
    Close up of the rock on the right

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  15. Jason mack

Jason mack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Very Nice ..!!! Only Maybe leave more space between glass and rock on the right !!

16. Adam113

Adam113 Well-Known Member

It'd look awesome with an arched "bridge" rock across the two islands

Sammi Mi likes this.
  17. Sammi Mi

You know I couldn't quite get my magnet cleaner in there, it was just a hair too close, moved it over about an inch. Thanks!

Jason mack likes this.
  18. Sammi Mi

For some reason I feel like that would be tricky to accomplish...but it probably would look really cool

Adam113 likes this.
  19. Adam113

Adam113 Well-Known Member

I'm picturing a big cleaner or fire shrimp hanging upside down in the middle :)

Sammi Mi likes this.
  20. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

I actually like the tw0-separated-bommies look that you've got going on. I think it makes the tank look bigger, and will allow fish to claim separate territories, rather than trying to defend the entire reef.

~Bruce

Jason mack, Katrina71 and Sammi Mi like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted