Aquascaping struggles

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60 gallons... kinda skinny as far as depth is concerned. I'm having a hard time getting an aquascape setup I like without touching the walls of my tank. I'm thinking about breaking up some of my larger rocks.
Also, I'm thinking about taking the sand out and keeping it in a plastic bin with saltwater until I have the aquascaping the way I want it. I think I may have too much sand...I need to build my rocks up off the bottom off the tank or the sand covers a good bit of the rocks.
Tips, suggestions, ideas, opinions needed please.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60 gallons... kinda skinny as far as depth is concerned. I'm having a hard time getting an aquascape setup I like without touching the walls of my tank. I'm thinking about breaking up some of my larger rocks.
Also, I'm thinking about taking the sand out and keeping it in a plastic bin with saltwater until I have the aquascaping the way I want it. I think I may have too much sand...I need to build my rocks up off the bottom off the tank or the sand covers a good bit of the rocks.
Tips, suggestions, ideas, opinions needed please.
I put egg crate on the bottom of my tank to put the rock on. The sand fills in the spaces beneath the rock and I feel it provides a better surface.

As for aquascapes, you just need to find what works for you. I'm not sure what you are looking for but you can work with that depth. I'm guessing you have the same depth as my 120g system. It is tough to work with but you might want to consider a more minimalist set up. Put extra rock in your sump if you need the extra surface area for filtration.
Keep in mind you may not need to build the rock up as high as you might think if you are going to build a reef tank. It may take a year or two but corals will fill up the top part of a tank once they grow.

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170425_164058.jpg

Just realized I had not put any pics in this thread. Here is what I'm working with. This was my second attempt.
1493289521445787606432.jpg

This is my third attempt, and what it looks like currently. Didn't have thine yesterday to rearrange.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the third one too ... Maybe be move that rock on the far right and build up Your first Island on the left .. but that's just me !

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possibility to consider...

Take the layout and bridge of layout #2, and move it to the right, so that it's just a couple of inches from the glass, then add a tall-ish but slim second "island" on the left, separate from the main reef structure.

Just a thought . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your third attempt if you could raise the height of the island on the right with some more rock?

Thanks, I will have to give that a try...I like the third the best too... just something about it wasn't quite right...I think at this point I might just need to make small adjustments

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possibility to consider...

Take the layout and bridge of layout #2, and move it to the right, so that it's just a couple of inches from the glass, then add a tall-ish but slim second "island" on the left, separate from the main reef structure.

Just a thought . . .

~Bruce

Soo many great ideas...I will definitely be trying this one out. Thanks for the opinion, sounds like it might look pretty cool.

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any opinions on taking the sand out?
I've had one person tell me that it would just turn to soup and make a mess. And I had another person say that it might not be a bad idea...
Every time that I try to move my rocks around I end up creating a sandstorm, which makes it very difficult to see what I'm doing.

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to make caves for my fish to hide in and swim through. Maybe get some more rock. I like the look of your 3rd setup.

I would like to have at least one cave. But rather than buying more rock and taking the chance of overcrowding my tank, I think I'm going to break up one or two of the larger pieces... and hope and pray they break the way I wamt them too

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, 5th and final aquascape! I got it set up finallly! :D:D:D
20170430_082706.jpg

Whole tank view
20170430_082718.jpg

Close up of the rock on the left
20170430_082726.jpg

Close up of the rock on the right

Last edited:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, 5th and final aquascape! I got it set up finallly! :D:D:D
20170430_082706.jpg

Whole tank view
20170430_082718.jpg

Close up of the rock on the right
20170430_082726.jpg

Close up of the rock on the left
Very Nice ..!!! Only Maybe leave more space between glass and rock on the right !!

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd look awesome with an arched "bridge" rock across the two islands

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the tw0-separated-bommies look that you've got going on. I think it makes the tank look bigger, and will allow fish to claim separate territories, rather than trying to defend the entire reef.

~Bruce

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back