are calcium reactors outdated now?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a calcium reactor for nearly 10 years and actually just switched back to dosing. The reactor generally had no issues keeping pace with demand but I could never get the pH in my reef high enough. Tried several things but since the tank and sump are in the basement I'm already at a disadvantage. Tank is now running with GHL and director/dosing pumps. I really do like the CARX method quite a bit but made the switch and I'll see how it plays out.
Have you tried outside air to the skimmer?
2nd chamber to drive off co2?

I have a my sump and ph today is 8.2

Screenshot_20220517-090652_APEX Fusion.jpg

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outdated? Says who? Some baby tank owners? Anyone with a large tank knows their value.
I would not even think about having a large tank without one. My current display 100 gallons is simple using all for reef powder. Other than a reference point I have never really paid any attention to ph. I have owned a couple of different calcium reactors over the years. Don't currently as I do not have a large high demand tank but then some people consider a 100 gallon display as large where I look at it as still small. When you get up to 200 gallon plus now you are not small but getting into large. Had a 300 gallon display until my last move. Was not going to stay in hobby but could not stay away.

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I went from my 58 to my 120 i chose to get away from dosing and go CalRx and so happy I did. The stability is unreal. I could never get the results I wanted both growth wise and stability from 2-part. The pH is a bit of an issue but I still have great growth. I swing from 8-8.2ish in 24 hours. Might dose some kalk at night just to limit the swing a bit.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used both and currently on my tank (140 gal with sump) I dose 2 part (ESV). I took my CalRx off line about a year ago for a variety of reasons and have gone back to dosing 2 part. I see the value in both and have had great success with both. I don't see cost differential as being a big part of the conversation as long term I'll spend as much on 2 part as I would on the initial investment for the CalRx. Bottom line is you can be very successful with both if you know how to properly implement and manage both platforms.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a must for large tanks, I had a 350G sps dominant tank before upgrading to my new 500 (low stock) but even with the 350 gallon sps there is NO WAY I could have dosed alk. It was just too expensive, heck even my GEO 818 big daddy had trouble keeping my alk up. Without my reactor i'd be paying hundreds of dollars a month in materials.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not even think about having a large tank without one. My current display 100 gallons is simple using all for reef powder. Other than a reference point I have never really paid any attention to ph. I have owned a couple of different calcium reactors over the years. Don't currently as I do not have a large high demand tank but then some people consider a 100 gallon display as large where I look at it as still small. When you get up to 200 gallon plus now you are not small but getting into large. Had a 300 gallon display until my last move. Was not going to stay in hobby but could not stay away.
That is pretty accurate, a high demand 100g would make life easier with one, a light 100g can still do 2 part. Was in those shoes for a decade. My 210 with LPS loves it, and my tank maintenance amounts to pressure washing a 3' filter sock and a 10 minute 100g water change monthly.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll spend as much on 2 part as I would on the initial investment for the CalRx.
I started buying 40lb bags of aragonite substrate, and it saves money and never had a problem with phosphates or anything else for that matter, and the fine grade which is all you can find, actually works better since you have more surface area. Only down side is aragonite melts slower so you need more c02

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a calcium reactor even with a second chamber used to depress my Ph substantially, into 7.7 area. I would almost be forced to dose kalkwasser to keep my corals alive and to avoid RTN every night. In search of higher Ph I added a third chamber to my reactor, that helped but barely, added a hose outside that ran to my skimmer, and that was somewhat an improvement. Got a larger skimmer, and that did barely anything. However what really turned things around was dosing my effluent directly into the skimmer chamber from the top. It only took me 4 years of breaking my head to finally try the most obvious solution. (Before anyone asks, this method completely bypassed skimmer pump internals and does not precipitate anything inside of the chamber.) just my .02
Did you drill a hole into the chamber to make this happen?

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just lifted the lid, but I’m planning on doing that to make it look cleaner.
Ahh ok, I think I get it now. You’re dropping it through the collector lid directly into the neck. I tried this back in the day and felt I had to up my drip rate considerably as if a lot of effluent ended up in the collection cup.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think low ph has anything to do with CaRx btw. I'm not using any PH booster.

Reactors will contribute to lower pH, but that does not mean the pH will be low any more than it means that a tank using kalkwasser will have high pH. The degree of aeration and the amount of CO2 in the aerating air is a big driver, as is the alkalinity.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on calcium reactors is once you get above 200 gallons and start down that route, there isn't any better or more economical way to add calcium to a reef tank full of SPS without a calc reactor. Out dated? No. Specialized? Yes.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok, I think I get it now. You’re dropping it through the collector lid directly into the neck. I tried this back in the day and felt I had to up my drip rate considerably as if a lot of effluent ended up in the collection cup.
I run trident and haven’t noticed any changes in my CA and Alk other than PH boost. even if some ends up in the skimmer cup it’s not substantial amount, unless you’re wet skimming a substantial amount of water.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a larger skimmer, and that did barely anything
Studiesw have show aireation does little to raise o2 in the water colum
I added a third chamber to my reactor, that helped but barely
Yep, the second catches most of it, little depending on speed through second chamber, and whether you use fine or course media.
However what really turned things around was dosing my effluent directly into the skimmer chamber
for me it worked just as good letting it drip in the skimmer output pipe into my sump.

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a calcium reactor and I love it.Now I don't have many acros and the phosphate is controlled with a phosphate remover.Tank looks great and my nitrates are just there corals seem to love it.Never go backto doseing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Studiesw have show aireation does little to raise o2 in the water colum

What studies?

Was the O2 low in the water before aeration?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I did the 2part on my first red sea . i had good success

With the carx on my 200g , any frag i throw in takes off. i like the stability of dkh

my only concern is the ph. I would like to run kalk at night to keep ph stable

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20120323_212721.jpg

This was my tank back in 2012. I ran a second chamber to help with consumption. It also raised the PH some. But I never really worried about PH back then. Still don't.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back