Are clams beginner friendly?

BleachedCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am setting up my first-ever 125 gallon soft coral reef tank. I'm interested in buying a clam as they look very beautiful, and I heard they help as a form of natural filtration.

I was thinking of getting a Squamosa Clam or Maxima Clam, or some other beginner-friendly species.

I know they need good light for photosynthesis on their mantle, and I have really good AT
I hybrid lights to support that. However, what should I know about owning one of these animals are a first-ever reefer? Should I wait until I have more experience?

Thanks!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi and welcome
D7BCE4FE-DB9B-4E1D-94A7-992A1B3BDFD5.gif

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since this is a new tank you would have to wait for it to cycle and become established. That may take some time and u may see faster success if you could source some Florida live rock. Once established and stable it is possible, but it’s best to wait

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is a new tank you would have to wait for it to cycle and become established. That may take some time and u may see faster success if you could source some Florida live rock. Once established and stable it is possible, but it’s best to wait
I would add this by saying that Florida Rock is not your only option, you can also get the Aussie live rock, which is not mariculture/aquaculture like the Florida Rock is. It's sustainably harvested real live rock.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa is probably the easiest to keep and then either squamosa or maxima with crocea probably being the most difficult. Derasa would still need 250+ par at the sand bed although people have gotten away with less.
Whichever way you go though I'd look for the biggest clam you can get a hold of as youl have a better chance of success, especially with crocea and maxima.
also in my experience aquacultured clams are hardier

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would add this by saying that Florida Rock is not your only option, you can also get the Aussie live rock, which is not mariculture/aquaculture like the Florida Rock is. It's sustainably harvested real live rock.

The Aussie rock Is not always available and comes w a premium price tag then like KP or gulf live rock which comes packaged in water with less die off. The Florida live rock is also real live rock via mariculture.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aussie rock Is not always available and comes w a premium price tag then like KP or gulf live rock which comes packaged in water with less die off. The Florida live rock is also real live rock via mariculture.
"real live rock via mariculture" is not a thing. It's mined ancient reef rock (Like Marco or CaribSea Moani & South Seas), that is Maricultured (dropped to the bottom of the ocean for a set period of time), to seed it with life. It's in the water for a much shorter period of time than procured live rock (like the Australian rock). I am not saying it's bad, and I took nothing away from your post, in fact, I said "I would add to this" meaning, your option is good, and here is another option. In my opinion, the Aussie rock is a better option, and it does command a premium price tag. Both, however, are viable options for the OP.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Most definitly not and needs well established tank with Very good water conditions.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"real live rock via mariculture" is not a thing. It's mined ancient reef rock (Like Marco or CaribSea Moani & South Seas), that is Maricultured (dropped to the bottom of the ocean for a set period of time), to seed it with life. It's in the water for a much shorter period of time than procured live rock (like the Australian rock). I am not saying it's bad, and I took nothing away from your post, in fact, I said "I would add to this" meaning, your option is good, and here is another option. In my opinion, the Aussie rock is a better option, and it does command a premium price tag. Both, however, are viable options for the OP.
Whether it is placed there and seeded over time or old coral skeleton that is sustainably harvested = live rock, regardless of options.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back to the OP. It would b best to wait until the tank is established and stable. And when it is aquacultured derasa or squamosa are viable options. I had a derasa for years and enjoyed it. The old clam
204DD818-AE30-403B-8EEA-EE6F1259FA73.jpeg

gill7784

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams, in my experience, require a fair deal of stability. And while they tolerate higher nutrients (read nitrates) than many other corals, calcium and alkalinity need to be dialed in. It's definitely doable with the right preparation. As others have said, Deresas are among the most beginner friendly.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not beginner friendly at all. Some tanks they do alright in with phyto feeding and ample light. Some tanks have no success at all. Sanjay has failed to keep them in his 500g reef and he's one of the industry experts.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most recommendations to wait a long time before adding livestock are a bit overblown. (Looking at you, folks who say a RBTA can only be added after a year!) HOWEVER, in the case of clams I have to agree. These are best added to a quite mature tank. Derasa, squamosa, and crocea are easiest, in that order. Get some experience keeping hard corals under your belt first.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a clam murderer. I’d recommend 4” + a mature tank/some experience. Small clams are HARD! Bigger clams are easier but require more from your tank.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it is placed there and seeded over time or old coral skeleton that is sustainably harvested = live rock, regardless of options.
My disagreement was with your use of the modifier "real" not in your use of "live rock". Rocks that have been tossed into a tank and seeded with bacteria are live rock. We have varying degrees of "live rock" these days. Real Live Rock (which instantly tells you what I am talking about), Maricultured Live Rock (again, instant recognition), and Aquacultured Live Rock (sometimes used interchangeably with Maricultured unfortunately), so there is no reason to muddy the conversation by saying "It's real live rock via mariculture" because I could pull a piece of dead marco rock out of my daughter's aquarium and say "it's real live rock via aquaculture"...

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot about the Hippopus Clam if you can get hold of one they are hardier that any of the tridacna clams. Might be a good option for a younger tank.
They are also very good at filtering the water I remember watching a video of one on YouTube, they put one or a couple, I forget, in a 'dirtier' tank and it was amazing to see the water clarity change over time just by the clam filtering it.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My disagreement was with your use of the modifier "real" not in your use of "live rock". Rocks that have been tossed into a tank and seeded with bacteria are live rock. We have varying degrees of "live rock" these days. Real Live Rock (which instantly tells you what I am talking about), Maricultured Live Rock (again, instant recognition), and Aquacultured Live Rock (sometimes used interchangeably with Maricultured unfortunately), so there is no reason to muddy the conversation by saying "It's real live rock via mariculture" because I could pull a piece of dead marco rock out of my daughter's aquarium and say "it's real live rock via aquaculture"...
I tend to agree with what you're saying...imo the longer the rock is in the natural environment, the more mature it becomes and that likely translates to more diversity as well which is what people are generally aiming for with "real" live rock...fwiw I always differentiate between real live rock harvested from the ocean and LFS live rock from bottled bac (I've never dealt with maricultured rock but would assume its in between but closer to the natural ocean rock)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back