Are clams beginner friendly?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tend to agree with what you're saying...imo the longer the rock is in the natural environment, the more mature it becomes and that likely translates to more diversity as well which is what people are generally aiming for with "real" live rock...fwiw I always differentiate between real live rock harvested from the ocean and LFS live rock from bottled bac (I've never dealt with maricultured rock but would assume its in between but closer to the natural ocean rock)
KP live rock or
Gulf live rock is from the ocean and has all the benefits from being collected from there
Regardless if it was placed there. It’s in the ocean. Full of life. Has Nvr been in contact w the bottle bacteria. Lfs “live rock” was Nvr in the discussion And back to the OP if he decides to get a clam, then use of live rock will help him cycle his tank and add the bacteria needed to increase success. I have had same positive results w all my tanks from using live rock sourced
From the indo pacific including Australia and that from the gulf. It’s the way to go imo.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP live rock or
Gulf live rock is from the ocean and has all the benefits from being collected from there
Regardless if it was placed there. It’s in the ocean. Full of life. Has Nvr been in contact w the bottle bacteria. Lfs “live rock” was Nvr in the discussion And back to the OP if he decides to get a clam, then use of live rock will help him cycle his tank and add the bacteria needed to increase success. I have had same positive results w all my tanks from using live rock sourced
From the indo pacific including Australia and that from the gulf. It’s the way to go imo.
Yeah, like I said I haven't dealt with maricultured rock personally but from what I've seen and heard about it, it would definitely add significant biodiversity to any tank and the microbiome established would definitely help with a clam...as long as it's in the ocean for plenty of time it seems like a great choice. Tbh since the shipping process is so much faster it might even be better depending on where you are (no idea how or how quickly live rock is shipped from the Pacific)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are not beginer friendly. Basic rule to follow is if you can keep an acro alive and start seeing growth after a few months then you can attempt a clam. They need pretty solid conditions with minimal fluctuations.

This is my maxima. About 7" and it sits in 500par during the peak of my lighting schedule. Happy as a clam.
20220610_185535.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(no idea how or how quickly live rock is shipped from the Pacific)
I spoke with the owner of UniqueCorals briefly, and from what I understand, It's shipped to them with their south pacific coral orders, and then it goes directly into their rock bins full of water with filtration and any leftover rock from their previous orders. It then is overnighted to the customer. In both transit situations, it's kept damp but not submerged, but it's free shipping to the customer. Whereas with the "Shipped submerged airport to airport" rock from the gulf, shipping is expensive, which easily pushes the cost over the $25/lb that the Aussie costs.

Either choice is great, both come with some compromise vs the other, and both come with the benefit of being harvested from the ocean. It's not just the length of time in the water that gives "real" live rock the edge though. The fact that the gulf rock sat dry and buried means other geological processes made it denser and the process of having to mine it removed the natural coral shapes you would get from the reef directly.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with the owner of UniqueCorals briefly, and from what I understand, It's shipped to them with their south pacific coral orders, and then it goes directly into their rock bins full of water with filtration and any leftover rock from their previous orders. It then is overnighted to the customer. In both transit situations, it's kept damp but not submerged, but it's free shipping to the customer. Whereas with the "Shipped submerged airport to airport" rock from the gulf, shipping is expensive, which easily pushes the cost over the $25/lb that the Aussie costs.

Either choice is great, both come with some compromise vs the other, and both come with the benefit of being harvested from the ocean. It's not just the length of time in the water that gives "real" live rock the edge though. The fact that the gulf rock sat dry and buried means other geological processes made it denser and the process of having to mine it removed the natural coral shapes you would get from the reef directly.
That's interesting. I didn't know it sat dry and buried during the maricultured process (like I said, haven't dealt with it but if I was over there considering buying some I'd definitely do some research like you seem to have done)...over here all the real live rock isn't maricultured but just "off the reef" so to speak

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I didn't know it sat dry and buried during the maricultured process (like I said, haven't dealt with it but if I was over there considering buying some I'd definitely do some research like you seem to have done)...over here all the real live rock isn't maricultured but just "off the reef" so to speak
It was dry and buried BEFORE the maricultured process... The Gulf/KP Aquatics stuff is basically Marco rock that has been sitting in a ocean for a few years, picked back up, and then shipped to you.. It comes from ancient coral reefs that are now on land, buried in the sand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back