Are Jebao Powerhead Magnets Submersible?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading to a Gyre and wanted to set up the powerheads on each side of my rock work along the back wall of my tank.
The magnets would have to be submerged as it is an AIO with the sump on the back.

Are they okay to be submerged or will they rust and possibly leach?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet immediately connected to the power head is meant for in tank use, so is waterproof. The exterior magnet is not designed to be submerged in water and can start rusting.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have our jabao magnet submerged. We check it with maintenance to make sure there is no leakage or problems, and have found none. This has been for 7-8 months now.

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question I just bought two of the smaller sw models that are coming next week and could not find info about this. I want to know what else others have to say.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm thinking I might coat it just to be safe, but figured I'd ask. Good to hear other people have done this no prob.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have thought about this before, placing my magnets of my Gyre/Jebaos inside the overflow box would allow me to have hidden powerheads (vs earphones on a tank).

Would this work for a mix or even a sps dominant tank?

#reefsquad

34324.jpg

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have thought about this before, placing my magnets of my Gyre/Jebaos inside the overflow box would allow me to have hidden powerheads (vs earphones on a tank).

#reefsquad

34324.jpg
I think you're being a bit optimistic here. I would imagine you would have lots of dead spots along the front glass with this flow setup.
Not saying you shouldn't try and hope for the best. I just wouldn't be very confident about it.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're being a bit optimistic here. I would imagine you would have lots of dead spots along the front glass with this flow setup.
Not saying you shouldn't try and hope for the best. I just wouldn't be very confident about it.
I kind of disagree. I think that's where the flow would travel, along the surface of the glass. The slowest moving section is likely to be over the rock...which is where you want the flow to be to help remove waste from the corals. I think you'd need something directed at your rockwork, be that an rfg or another powerhead

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

#reefsquad

34324.jpg
Crank up the return lines aimed at / over the rocks

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading to a Gyre and wanted to set up the powerheads on each side of my rock work along the back wall of my tank.
The magnets would have to be submerged as it is an AIO with the sump on the back.

Are they okay to be submerged or will they rust and possibly leach?
Regardless of the company we check all of the magnets that get submerged in our tank regularly (you should read Ecotech MP horror stories). I’ve put the Jabeo external magnets in our QT tank submerged before had them in for a little over a year. I noticed in Feb that a crack was on one of the dryside’s that sits in the overflow (see pic) though I’m not sure it had to do with being in the water for an extended period it could have been from a drop. The magnet does look like it’s wet side counter same coating.

E96274B2-A6DE-4AA1-8C5B-A5C85D752ED3.jpeg D126F6C1-FCE5-4936-A512-2BBE09CA1685.jpeg

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm I didn't think of this, I thought that perhaps the classic way to have gyres is to have a sheet of water traversing the top of the tank and returning from the bottom and so perhaps this would be equivalent...

I kind of disagree. I think that's where the flow would travel, along the surface of the glass. The slowest moving section is likely to be over the rock...which is where you want the flow to be to help remove waste from the corals. I think you'd need something directed at your rockwork, be that an rfg or another powerhead

Thanks, I agree, possibly my two RFG return lines

If you have a food saver vacuum sealing bag you could seal the outer magnet in that and keep water off the magnet and they are thin enough I don’t think it would affect it holding in place.

Thanks, great idea!

Crank up the return lines aimed at / over the rocks

I agree, RFG x 2 flowing right at the islands, thanks!

rq786

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic question
If there is power outage will jabeo wavermaker pump remember it’s settings or will it reset and needs to be reprogrammed

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back