Are my clowns sick? Please Help !!!

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Well I have a 30G Fusion for about 2 months now. Everything was done by the paper prior to add ANY livestock. My water parameters are normal but, since yesterday I notice that my golbi was acting weird. Today he was dead. what the heck? Now literally 10 minutes after that my clowns show these spots in on of their stripes. I don't understand how everything was perfectly normal 2 days ago and suddenly this happens. Now the clowns are stuck in just one place and one of them tried to rub in the sand like pretty hard. Could this be just dead skin?

Please help I don't want to loose my fish.

3.jpeg
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals or pest anemones? I ask because "usually" the black on clowns is them adjusting to the stings of a host coral or nem. Do they have any white spots or any other symptoms of issues? heavy breathing, scratching, swimming erratically, etc.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals or pest anemones? I ask because "usually" the black on clowns is them adjusting to the stings of a host coral or nem. Do they have any white spots or any other symptoms of issues? heavy breathing, scratching, swimming erratically, etc.

Hi Denise,

Thanks for the update. So far they are eating. Swim pattern seems to be fine as well. I just saw something hanging under his "belly". I don't know what it could be.

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus now got even bigger. Is that poop?

6.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the stuff on their stripes look white and kind of blistery? I had that on my clown when I first added him along with white poop and I dosed melafix and pimafix for the recommended time and it cleared up I've now had him just over a year and he is healthy.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? How long has it been set up? Besides adding rock, lights and snails, what have you done to it (if anything) so far?

Might be too early for lights and turbos might be too large for your system or five may have been too many.

Can you post a full tank shot?

@Humblefish. What is your salinity?

White poop = intestinal worms

More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

I suggest soaking their food in metronidazole: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/metronidazole.298762/

You'll also need to use Seachem Focus to bind the medication to food: http://www.seachem.com/focus.php

Does the stuff on their stripes look white and kind of blistery? I had that on my clown when I first added him along with white poop and I dosed melafix and pimafix for the recommended time and it cleared up I've now had him just over a year and he is healthy.

It's possible they also have brook. If so, you should start seeing more visible signs. Pics here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

Guys,

Thank you so much for all the help.

Since I don't a QT tank and I only have these 2 clowns and the two spot golbi can I use the actual tank as my QT tank and monitor all parameters and kill everything from the root?

thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I don't a QT tank and I only have these 2 clowns and the two spot golbi can I use the actual tank as my QT tank and monitor all parameters and kill everything from the root?

Intestinal worms = yes; because you are just food soaking medication.

However, if the clowns also have brook I doubt metronidazole will stay active long enough in the water column to achieve complete eradication. Biofilm in a DT will often break down medications: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT = Display Tank

QT = Quarantine Tank

HT = Holding Tank

thank you so much HumbleFish

I can't even say how thankful I'm for all the help provided here. I spent the hole morning staring at the tank and it seems that the stains in the fish are getting better and I did no do anything so far. I'm going now to world wide corals to do another water test and talk to them about the whole think.

thanks a LOT

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and hope they get better. Definitely agree with Humblefish on intestinal worms. Do not see any sign of Brook in the pics, but keep watching. If you want to keep corals or inverts of any kind, gotta keep the specific gravity up to 1.025. Good luck again. And... no stupid questions when learning.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and hope they get better. Definitely agree with Humblefish on intestinal worms. Do not see any sign of Brook in the pics, but keep watching. If you want to keep corals or inverts of any kind, gotta keep the specific gravity up to 1.025. Good luck again. And... no stupid questions when learning.

thank you for that. My two spot golbi actually is still alive but barely moving in the tank. Looks like he is drunk. My LFS told me to dip into RO/DI fresh water on my acclimation container. I fill it and waited to the temperature to become close to my tank and then putted him inside. I FREAKED OUT. In the minute that I did that he started to act crazy, super stressed and heavily breathing. After 2 minutes I thought he was dead so I took him of and putted back in the tank. Did I do anything wrong? And I was actually necessary to do that? Cuz I don't see any parasites whatsoever. Now my clowns are not showing the stains anymore I mean I still can see a little but is not even close as before and I didn't do anything. As far as the worms I'll see if changing the food will work. Since I don't have a QT tank I'm confuse on how I'm gonna soak the food in the display tank.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually sell food now that has medications in it. Or you get the med and soak the food prior to feeding. See the links Humblefish provided about internal parasites.

As far as the freshwater bath goes, sometimes they do not handle it well. (Did you use ro/di or tap water. Do not use tap water unless you treated it. (chlorine could kill the fish).) Never mind reread you used ro/di. You did well to move back in the tank if it was stressed. Keep an eye on him and get some treated food in there as soon as possible. Gobies can be very secretive when first introduced. Give him some time. Sometimes they just do not adapt well. Hope he pulls through.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong it is having a bowel movement and white poop doesn't always mean parasites could mean over feeding of any white colored food IE mysis shrimp.
Mine did this even when fed too much brine shrimp.
If they had parasite they would be super skinny if fed lightly and not very fat if fed heavy.

So many members on here are so eager to overreact and call out a healthy fish sick.
Very unhelpful in my opinion slow things down and analyze their behavior and watch for any progression before you call the first turd parasitic.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong it is having a bowel movement and white poop doesn't always mean parasites could mean over feeding of any white colored food IE mysis shrimp.
Mine did this even when fed too much brine shrimp.
If they had parasite they would be super skinny if fed lightly and not very fat if fed heavy.

So many members on here are so eager to overreact and call out a healthy fish sick.
Very unhelpful in my opinion slow things down and analyze their behavior and watch for any progression before you call the first turd parasitic.

Worst advice ever on r2r.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back