Are ribbon eels still doomed?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I considered keeping a ribbon eel was 20+ years ago. At that time, they were as doomed as a cut flower. Husbandry has improved by leaps and bounds in other areas of the hobby, so I'm curious to know if this is still a forbidden species.

Anyone keeping them long term? Are there any tricks to making this possible?

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested, but they are likely still doomed just because no one other than a clueless beginner is going to try.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were never truely impossible to keep but many simply refused to eat after collection, that coupled with being able to escape from the tiniest opening makes for low survival rates. As long as you see it eat at the lfs and have the tank sealed up like fort knox theyre actually pretty hardy. I would not purchase one online without knowing for sure its eating.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not, the key to keeping a ribbon eel long term is to include live food into their diet. Primarily mollies, guppies if they are small and they may take ghost shrimp. They are primarily a fish eater, so appropriate sized mollies are best, you can breed them yourself if you don't have an inexpensive source of various sizes. Breeding mollies is very easy and a fun side project for some. All my preds are large now so I have a lfs that gets me 30-40 larger ones at a time for $1 a piece. If you settle them in with live food and are patient they will take dead food, but some people make the mistake of trying to keep them on dead only diet; they will not live long on a dead only diet. They either die from nutritional deficiencies or will go on extended hunger strikes until they just don't eat again.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome to know. Sounds like they still benefit from a species tank, but it's great to hear that they are doable. One day.

Are there any suitable tank mates? Maybe a medium size frogfish?

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome to know. Sounds like they still benefit from a species tank, but it's great to hear that they are doable. One day.

You don’t have to do a species tank. Just expect that when you wake up the next morning, you may have fewer fish in your tank than the day before. ;)

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have to do a species tank. Just expect that when you wake up the next morning, you may have fewer fish in your tank than the day before. ;)
Side note, just checked out your stair building website-- you do incredible work!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any fish that tend to be safer than others?
I would venture to guess the bigger the better. I’ve never had an eel that will eat other fish though (just a zebra moray).

Side note, just checked out your stair building website-- you do incredible work!
Thanks for checking it out. I do travel at times depending on the project. Let me know if you have something unique in mind. I’ve yet to do staircase with an integrated fish tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are easy to find compatible tank mates, they have small mouths are only a real threat to small fish. Anything large dwarf angel size and larger will do. They do need at least a 6' tank. I wouldn't do any really aggressive fish that hunt live food, because it will present a problem to get them food.; even though I do have tricks. I wouldn't do triggers as they may also injure them, as well as steal their food.

Tank size will determine what you keep, if you choose a frogfish that will also change your possibilities.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy to find compatible tank mates, they have small mouths are only a real threat to small fish. Anything large dwarf angel size and larger will do. They do need at least a 6' tank. I wouldn't do any really aggressive fish that hunt live food, because it will present a problem to get them food.; even though I do have tricks. I wouldn't do triggers as they may also injure them, as well as steal their food.
Wow, I guess I never would have guessed that they need such a large tank. Do they make full use of all six feet? I've always thought of them as staying in the same hole with their head out.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I guess I never would have guessed that they need such a large tank. Do they make full use of all six feet? I've always thought of them as staying in the same hole with their head out.

Yes they will grow to almost 4' in length and do enjoy to cruise. They will need at least a 125g tank. Keeping them in a tank too small is another reason for their early demise.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will grow to almost 4' in length and do enjoy to cruise. They will need at least a 125g tank. Keeping them in a tank too small is another reason for their early demise.
Great to know. I guess I will just admire them in photos.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back