Are these dinos or diatoms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter finnaest1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

finnaest1

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
6
Location
san diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a tank and have had it for almost a month now. I used precycled rocks and media from the previous owner, and all my tests have shown good parameters. Recently though algae has started to pop up all over the place. I tried to scape it all off yesterday but it is already almost fully back. The bulk of the algae have clear bubbles on the base and tips of them and are brown. I am wondering if these are diatoms or Dino’s. I got a uv light just in case, but want to ask everyone’s opinions. thank you
IMG_6929.jpeg
IMG_6927.jpeg
IMG_6930.jpeg
 
Looks like you got a little bit of everything in there. First year is a struggle when using dry rock. Try introducing some live rock or established media or sand to speed up the process
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new