Are these REALLY the top 10 LED fixtures??

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came upon this site while looking for an LED fixture for my 70Gal reef tank. I have never seen or heard of the site before (it is for sure a click through Amazon site which I don't really mind if the advice is good) and was wondering what all of you LED users think of the list and lights if you don't mind. :)

Thanks in advance as I know very little right now about LED lighting!

Thom

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say they are the best, but I have been perfectly happy with my Current Orbit Pros, not to be confused with the "non-pro" line which seem more suitable to freshwater tanks. I certainly couldn't afford the AIs or Vortechs...so for a lower budget, they might be excellent.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like that list was auto-generated from an eBay search.

That said, I don't think you'd have trouble with any of those lights....mostly china shoebox lights from the looks of it, with one or two name brands to catch search hits.

I would have some questions for the author of that page though....seems like maybe it was made for click-bait. Or something.

OP
OP
Thoms_here

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like that list was auto-generated from an eBay search.

That said, I don't think you'd have trouble with any of those lights....mostly china shoebox lights from the looks of it, with one or two name brands to catch search hits.

I would have some questions for the author of that page though....seems like maybe it was made for click-bait. Or something.

I agree with everyone. I am completely new to LED lighting and finding a good "Top Ten List" is hard especially when idiots put up list willy-nilly to get a credit at Amazon or wherever. I am so glad that Reef2Reef is an amazingly good source of info because I can't afford too many mistakes on my budget right now.
Cheers and thanks again everyone who commented!

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those lights will spotlight in your reeftank. I wouldn't use them unless I was on a budget and needed high output for low investment.

OP
OP
Thoms_here

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 24", 60 Gal cube and I plan on keeping mostly softies. I was offered a Rose Tip anemone for free so I might take that and see how high up he would like it , some community reef fish, a few crustaceans and dry live rock to be seeded with as many colors of Coralline as I can get. Thats my livestock list pretty much, so if you guys have any suggestion on any type of lighting (excluding halides) I would value any input you might have on some the lower cost lighting! Thanks again!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02
Some of the comments on this post are pretty harsh, While they certainly are not the best LED set-ups, a few of them are decent and fine for LPS, mushrooms, etc. especially if you are on a budget.
Many people run the Mars Aqua set up successfully, and while they are limited in features out of the box, the LEDs themselves are actually quite powerful, there are also videos online which show you how to perform a simple wiring mod to run off an Apex controller. That being said, they typically have a shorter lifespan than the more expensive name brands.
The Current fixtures come in different models, the base Orbit fixture is pretty bad and under powered, however the Current IC and Pro setups can easily keep LPS, and mushrooms...I've also seen set-ups where the tank has added on an additional Current IC or Pro, chained together and are keeping some SPS. Current also has some nice programmability built in to their LOOP controller system.

If you have the money to spend, then by all means go get a Kessel or Radion type fixture, but if you are on a limited budget then you may be able to use some of these fixtures depending on what you want to keep in your tank.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those are sure not the best list, I have one of the current LED fixtures it's ok at best but not great. It would do for leathers and so on but not a lot of light with them. I can't tell you about the rest of them but have heard some success with the Chinese lights on your list they are cheap but don't have any ramping options good Luck

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clip from the site:
Aquariumadviser.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca, endless.com, smallparts.com, myhabit.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back