Are you careful about "endorsing" reefing products and what does it take?

How often do you "endorse" reef aquarium products?

• Every Chance I get

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • Only In Certain Situations

Votes: 247 45.8%
  • Not Too Often

Votes: 170 31.5%
  • Never

Votes: 77 14.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned my lesson long ago about writing rave reviews a week after owning something.
For a long time now I write a review only after using the product for at least 6 months.

One thing I don't understand is vendors sending a request for a review and the item isn't in your hands yet.

Vendors should put some time from date of purchase clock on your purchased items, 6 months minimum, then send you a reminder.
They would get 2 things: 1. accurate, informed reviews that expose the products real world capabilities or lack of. Happier customers because they didn't buy the latest and greatest or tried to cheap out and be disappointed that something that cost 10% more is 100% better.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I work as a casual at my LFS I often recommend things that I personally wouldn't use but are better suited to the customers desires or needs, for example someone wanted to add a prefilter to their pump so I recommended egg crate and filter wool. Most people wouldn't like this but it did the job for them while within their budget.

As a hobbiest however I only recommend things I've used personally and am very happy with. Sometimes this crosses over eg with the flipper magnet, I know most customers who want their tank to look great will enjoy the product but some who don't care much won't justify the expense

Nohatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally let others know about my experience with a product after 6 months to a year so I can give a good honest review.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if I'd call recommending and endorsing the same thing. I've recommended products bc they've worked well for me. And that's part of my recommendation that "it worked for me" I've had terrible experiences with some products that other have absolutely sworn by. So I think it would be wrong, to endorse one product over another expecially if your in an influential place. I never talk about products I've never seen or used first hand. But definitly like to show the results good or bad if when I try something new.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm picky. Both quality and customer service matter!

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this stuff for over 40 years total, 27 years with salt, and if I come across something that has made my life or my inhabitants life better/easier I'll crow about it. If I come across something that costs a decent amount and is garbage, I'll bring that up too. And what is up with heaters, why can't we get decent ones that work without spending hundreds of dollars? I still have hang-on-the-backs that are 30 years old and work as they are supposed to. I'll admit that its hard to trust them, but the few times I've had to temporarily they've worked like they always do. Bought 4 of the 78 degree non-adjustable ones last June brand spankin' new, 2 dead already!

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person endorsing the product is the most important part. An endorsement by someone with a great deal of experience with many competing products, success, and no financial incentive will mean the most.

Those seem to be a small fraction of what you find

What you mostly find are endorsements by people who

Are relatively inexperienced overall (first tank, 3 months old)

Have only owned the product a short period of time (can’t recommend this skimmer enough, Just came in the mail and it seems really well built)

Or lastly, people with incentive to endorse a product outside of their own enjoyment (the more we promote THIS light fixture in particular, the deeper discounts we get for using them, and the more units we will sell in our shop)
^ This! i couldnt agree more. i mean look at the youtube "reviewers" people are testing a product for a few days then telling everyone how awesome they are and they need get pick that item up! Oh and if you happen to want to buy that item just click the link below!

people do a ton of reviews not just on forums but everywhere and none (okay VERY FEW) of them are tested the way they need to or reviewed the way they should be (giving good reviews when the product is actually garbage)

ive learned to take EVERY review with a massive grain of salt for these reasons. I stick to my Apex because ive owned, been using it for over 4 years now (i also paid for it out of my own pocket). I also happen to love my Jeabo return pumps (i know, i know we all have mixed views but again still running one i bought 4 years ago so i have no reason not to). I love my lifereef skimmer (no other words needed here for that haha). I have a thousand time more respect for a review that is actually honest (someone actually paid for it because they really wanted to try it), and that uses it for an extended period of time and continues to give updates over time.

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many products to choose from... I have to vote other because I've only been back in the hobby for a couple months. Without proven long term performance on a product or a fantastic reef running long enough to back up my claims about a product, I would just be giving advice based on guesswork. So far, I would endorse BRS RO/DI systems, BRS TV, Reef Saver Dry Rock, Reef2Reef forum, Fiish of Hex on YouTube, Zoanthids.com, and believe it or not Petco - becuase their saltwater fish are gauranteed for 30 days survival if they are ordered online, my LFSs can't touch that - and the one in New Lenox, IL has very well kept tanks, staff members who have their own tanks and grew up with them and know more than a lot of LFS employees - crazy right? - also always helped quickly and everyone is super friendly - not something I can say about some LFSs where I've been ignored or treated a little not-so-great... Hence why I prefer pets to people. Funny - but true. Most of all the fish at this particular store are VERY well cared, super clean tanks, pest, injury, and disease free fish and inverts. Crazy right? But the staff and tanks speak for themselves. As granny would say, if I had a granny; "The proof is in the pudding." Nuff said.

Last edited:

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will at times recommend certain products for a given situation if I believe in that product. For example Britpghtwell Micobacter7 is an excellent product to help nitrogen cycle a new tank or to help boost an established tank's biofilteration. Microbacter Clean and Live Rock Enhance work great at cleaning up the funk build up in the tank and reducing unwanted algaes. I recommend Reef Octopus skimmers often to new reefers. All these products I have experience with first hand and some for many years so I know they work and feel confident in "endorsing" them.

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be extremely excited about a product to endorse it. I'm not known for blind brand loyalty. I use a Profilux controller and love it. I think an Apex is a better choice for some people. I couldn't stand my MP40 power heads but I think they are great for some systems. I've used 4 different salts and they were all fine, I only switch if I'm going to change my target Alk and Calc.

For me to endorse something it needs to be proven reliable, designed and built well, be easy to use, and have great customer service. I'm extremely excited about the new BRS heaters. They are the only heater I would recommend and I don't even have one yet. Before buying my last heaters I tried getting some from the company that makes the heaters for BRS and was going to convert them to 120V (they are German). Couldn't make it happen. I love the easy access now.

I'm a big fan of the products from Underwater Creations. I started using their Chroma product and my already fairly quickly growing tank has absolutely exploded in growth. It took less then a month to get me to justify switching from 2-part to a calcium reactor.

I have a few products from Avast and they are all top notch as is their customer service. It was a no brainer to order their calcium reactor based on the quality of the other equipment they offer. Can't wait until it arrives!
Why would you endorse a heater you don't have?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you endorse a heater you don't have?
2 reasons. I've done an extensive amount of research on the company that makes them but have found the product too difficult to obtain until now. That is combined with my lack of satisfaction with any heaters currently available in the US market.
I will be upgrading to these in the near future.

Alistairn1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Endorse - to declare one's public approval or support of.

I was thinking today about how awesome this "certain" salt has been for my reef tank recently. But then I got to thinking about the impact of endorsing a certain salt, dry goods, equipment or really anything for my reef. (I have in the past of course) In today's world of "influencers", paid advertisements, Youtube videos, forum threads, etc. sometimes it's hard to differentiate the truth from a paid spot. But there is no doubt that the best way to find good product is to learn from the reviews or endorsements of others. We should, however, be careful with what products we do endorse in the public forum as many people will undoubtedly read now and in the future.

I thought this could make for a great discussion today. So answer me this:

1. Are you careful with the products you endorse in the hobby?

2. What does it take to get an endorsement from you?

Recommend Graphic.jpg
I would only ever be able to endorse the product that’s good for me which would be unfair to other manufacturers, I’m only a small hobbiest but I find that I would not change any product unless it was having a obvious effect as we all know that corals only prefer a “stable” condition.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure what the term endorsed means TO ME, im not really sure truthfully. i guess i always tell several people if i have a great experience. I mean recently i can say without a doubt the customer serivice team at Hydor took great care of me, along with for just being awesome the folks at Flipper cleaner, which did lead to me buying more of their products. If i ever have to interact with a company i find that the online teams seem to be able to figure things out faster and more accurately even though the responses may take a day. If a coompany stand behind a product and i mean really believes in what they are selling generally they will do just about anything to make it right. Anytime you get a lot of push back it makes me stop and think about whether or not ill spend my money with them again. So as of right now i am dealing with ecotech on less than a year old mp40 so i guess this is the big test. For as long and as much of their products i own i would like to think service is impeccable. So far so good i guess. I am also top 1% google reviewer and have millions of views on my photos. I never really mention that though, makes it sound like a threat. lol but if its bad ill def bang on them with a bad review

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t used the product, don’t endorse it. If you just unboxed it, don’t endorse it. If you have used it for 6 months or more and seen a positive difference, by all means tell the world!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im not necessarily careful but rather cautious about an endorsement as many of us have seen success and failures in this industry . I Will give positive comments to those who represent the word Quality and product is reliable or proven Good value for the price
For What does it take:
Great customer support, innovation and performance will all produce consumer confidence and recommendation to others based on the aforementioned.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back