Are you HANDS IN or HANDS OUT?

Are you hands in or hands out in your system?

• Hands in the tank

Votes: 125 87.4%
  • Hands out of the tank

Votes: 21 14.7%

• Total voters

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I chat with reefers one of the questions that has always interested me is the concept of whether or not the reefer likes to put his/her hands into the tank... or do they do their due diligence and try to not introduce their hands in the system by using tools and other features for a system.

Now my question is to you! Are you more hands in your tank or hands out of your tank?

Just recently I have tried to do my best to be hands out of my lagoon system to just do its own thing, and I think I can say there is no doubt some happy corals in the system, and perhaps better growth. One thing that makes it tough to be hands out though is my pinch of flake food I will feed. Kinda have to use my finger tips for that.. (any ideas?)

Excited to hear from you all!

1619204878258.png

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said hands out as I tend to use tongs but sometimes you just need the dexterity.
Also I have been nipped too many times to randomly stick my hands in the tank. All my maroon clownfish owners will know what I am talking about haha
Yes. In fact both my cinnamon and occy bites me constantly. XD Especially my cinnamon now. Gosh darn it is starting to really hurt.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. In fact both my cinnamon and occy bites me constantly. XD Especially my cinnamon now. Gosh darn it is starting to really hurt.
I once meant to shoo away my maroon but instead wacked him fairly hard when he went to strike. He stopped for about a week and forgot.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once meant to shoo away my maroon but instead wacked him fairly hard when he went to strike. He stopped for about a week and forgot.
Lolllllllllllllll.

Maybe I should do that too. XD I do have to manually pull algae out of my tank quite often coz I feed super heavy. But yeah, I can't really do that nowadays. Or.

Sigh.

Time for gloves. >_<"

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands out except for spot feeding and if I can't get to something with my tongs and it can't wait until spot feeding day.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I avoid disturbing things unless I have to, but if I do go in, I use my hands. I feel like my clownfish would be disappointed if I stopped. They seem so happy to take as many bites out of my flesh as they can get in for however many seconds my hand is in the water. ;Sour

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do hands-in (fowlr + nem). I guess the fish become more tame that way. I wash up first with tap water, then with either used tank water or fresh mixed.

Last edited:

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I limit it as much as possible. Not that it's detrimental but I prefer to let things ride without my interference when I can.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands in twice every day to feed. Hands in a couple times a month it seems to trim corals.

I don't use any lotions and have an office job so there is not a lot that can potentially get on my hands. Even then, I do still wash with soap and rise very well every time before putting my hands in the tank.

Molliemariee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very hands in because it’s the easiest way to get things done. But because I’m always worried that lotion and stuff won’t come off by simply rinsing before, so I wear long gloves that go up to my shoulder to avoid any issues. You can find them easily on Amazon by looking up aquarium gloves.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I have my hands in the tank more often, be more proactive in fixing stuff, but in reality I'm too lazy. Sometimes I left the frags sitting on its side for days before finally went it to put it back up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back