Are your corals hungry ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As we have acquired many new members the last few months, There has always been debate as to whether corals need to be fed or what those little things are on my coral (feeders). Many believe as to years ago that they require nothing but light. Its true they have inner algae known as zooxanthellae which require light for color and energy and feed off inorganics and other compounds in the water. Its also true that corals get energy from photosynthesis as lighting has effect on color but lighting does not solve all problems when it comes to coral especially SPS.
Corals require phosphorous, nitrogen and trace elements for their own health and production of zooxanthellae. They must have food.
While they must have food, it does not mean overfeeding them until they respond and in turn polluting your water in the process. Overfeeding as we know causes issues with high no3 and po4 and often leading to algae, cyano and other unwanted issues.
So who and what do we feed?
There are the persay- easy corals. Acan, dendro, brain, scoly, blastos, chalice and zoas as examples. Often the issue with feeding these corals are feeding the wrong/wrong type of foods. What triggered me to post this was seeing how many resort to planktonic foods such as reef roids, reef chili, and such when they benefit from mysis, brine, chopped krill (anemones, elegance as examples) fish eggs and frozen plankton.
There are also corals that are difficult to feed such as colt and carnation coral, NPS, and certain acro. They depend on obtaining their nutrition from whats within the tank water and phytoplankton, marine snow and often require a constant supply of food. Some other challenging corals are goniopora, some zoa, as they dont respond well to food targeted at them.

What are your most easy and most difficult coral to feed?
Do you see a feeding response from your corals and what type?
Do you feed your corals and how often?

I feed my corals which are many at least twice per week under low flow and a mixture of fish eggs, mysis shrimp, frozen baby brine and a little red Sea AB+

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 99% acros which are only broadcast fed if phosphates drop below .07...otherwise they just get light and available nutrients in the water column. When I do broadcast feed, it is with Polyp-Lab Polyp Booster and a combination of Reef Roids and Reef Chili. I do not notice any feeding response any more than when I just broadcast feed the fish.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see a feeding response from your corals and what type?
Do you feed your corals and how often?
I do feed daily different types of coral food.
General carbon dosing 0.75ml (TM Bacto Ballance) for 230l tank, the idea is to feed bacteria so corals can consume them.
Next I feed FM MinS (0.1 ml a day, I am planing to go to every other day) and FM coral sprint every other day. I also feed FM Ocean plankton and FM Coral plankton daily.
Odd enough my NO3 and PO4 nosedived compared to when I used frozen food, so now I have to add both to keep them at reasonable level. I suspect there are two reasons, the food is cleaner less fillers and corals are growing so NO3/PO4 is not accumulating.

I also use 0.4ml of Amino Daily.

I find Favia show most active response:
1692298029719.jpeg

1692298124879.jpeg

Chalice corals also show appreciation(but mostly in the evenings):
1692298735164.jpeg

1692298791918.jpeg

Some SPS show responses others like smooth skin ones not so much.

Since I feed round the clock I don’t really see the whole tank respond.

But, when I do my weekly maintenance glass, rock etc… that is when lot of the corals respond. Not sure if they are trying to kill each other or they just like what is in the water.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I alternate amino and trace elements daily- not same day and a few drops of bacteria daily

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose aminos and broadcast feed reef chili twice a week. I spot feed my acans, torches, hammers, frogspawn and rfas mysis twice a week. The best feeding response is from my duncans and rfat (I know you were asking about corals) but stopped target feeding my dunkens because they have gotten so big and so many heads. This type of duncan is not branching and is like if you a solid ball and cut it in half it looks like one of the halves. Fraging is going to be a challenge for me.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s an older post, but I have to share the moment I realized my corals were hungry. I noticed a button scoly looking oddly deformed. Upon closer inspection, it was engulfing a dwarf cerith snail. After a few minutes it spit out the shell.
EE786E47-B16C-4919-983F-C3AED83344CD.jpeg

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What products do you use for aminos, trace and bacteria? One day I will dose so gathering recommendations.
Bacteria- micro bacter 7 or xlm
Aminos- seachem Fuel and brightwell
Trace- seachem

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh pacific oysters from the grocery store. Blender, freeze , feed.
The first response I get is from my wife, that stinks, uhhh!! Are you gonna clean that up
I have to say everything responds to the slurry and the pieces get consumed by whoever catches it. Then it’s recycled via fish poop.
Here’s something I found, gonna jump in the chemistry forum and let the smart people take a peek. Not saying you all are dumb, just me lol
IMG_1887.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back