OP
armetas

armetas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:

I'm not using socks almost for 2 years. It was a pain to clean them each 2 days so I've decided to run tank without socks, and this of-course has some negatives: a lot of stuff gathers in the sump (detritus and so on). Since last year I've been watching those roller filter in order to replace socks thing...anddddd..... the time has come for me. As you know there are at least few roller filters in the market - Theiling rolling mat, D&D Clarisea and few others. And the price are almost the same - about 300-350 EUR, but...there is one which stand outs with the price and parameters - Bubble magus roller mat ARF-1 (price is less than 200 EUR) and has almost the same characteristics as other brands.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/bubble-magus-filter-roller.html

21106552_1394432520674487_1312222104271486124_n.jpg

The initial plan was to cut off socks section in the sump and place this filter there..and...I was not able to do that (there were at least three places where glass was touching other glass and there was no way to make a cut without a risk). So the sock section had to remain as it is and I needed to find another place... As my skimmer section is quite big I've decided to try fit it there. One thing what was needed - to move skimmer pump a bit lower. I've took 90 degree elbow and it was just perfect:

IMG_20180914_230436.jpg

As roller filter was in place I've connected it to one of the two hoses which goes from display tank to the sump (wanted to leave one without this filter in order not to clean too much):

IMG_20180915_210745.jpg IMG_20180915_210737.jpg IMG_20180914_230451.jpg

Filter is up and running now for a week and what I can see now:

• Water is much clearer
  • Half of the roll was used in one week (a lot of dirt there is in the tank so I expect first rolls to be going quickly)
  • My chaeto was growing with a lot of algae, slime and other stuff - but now it is growing without any of those
We will see how it will go when I will need to change first roll.

Other news:

• I've added Hemitaurichthys polylepis
  • also added Chelmon rostratus
  • Acanthurus Japonicus during the fight with other fish jumped hardly to the lightning and seems that this bump was critical - he died after one day.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update, Armetas.
Very smart how you solved the filter installation/space problem.
It is a good idea to have only a section of the water go through the filter.
Did you notice any changes in the nutrient levels of the aquarium? Nitrates or phosphates?

We hope to see some more pictures of the reef.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back