Article on Reef Builders about Anti-Competitive Tactics Against Hydros

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal business. The skill of the upstart will determine their fate. Everyone wants to be in business, but they don't know the real work that has to be done to stay. Hopefully the CEO of CoralVue has some business savvy to deal with this. Because I am surmising the competitor and that competitor needs some serious competition because they have gotten way to big for their britches.

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the controller is half as good as the Hydros WaveEngine then the other manufacturer should be worried! I purchased one the day they arrived at Marine Depot, (Imported to the UK I was so keen!) it’s been running for months now and is honestly fantastic. The build quality is the biggest appeal for me, if the military had reef tanks, this is the controller they’d be running!

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see some videos reviews come out after some extensive usage by some hobbyists. Interested for sure!

Glad to see competition in this market because, in my opinion, it drives innovation and modernization. In addition, the price is appealing as well.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the story isn't true, ake wrote it in a way to avoid defamation all while committing defamation. This story stinks to all get out. We have enough politics these days, no reason to start pulling sides and go political in this hobby. That's just bad business. I saw BRS got pulled in to it as well. And I agree with BRS stance. Many of us buy from BRS knowing they've done the leg work for thier products before offering them to us. Yes some have not been the best, but for the most part BRS has become a good source for reliable equipment. I don't blame them for waiting to put it on the site. But here they were getting pulled in to this as well. Marine Depot jumped up immediately and said they'd be carrying it as soon as it was available, hence choosing to pick sides with immediate response to all that went down. I'll wait till BRS has it available and has feedback for me to grasp before I'd judge it. I had high hope for hydros. And it may be the next best thing to fill that niche. I'm just a little apprehensive after seeing all the drama brought into the hobby from a few out spoken writers and bloggers trying to stir the pot before this was even released.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$400 bucks?!
giphy.gif

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This story seems to have been written on air - there is no substantiation for the claims. Maybe that is what the author wants - just to stir people up. Yuck if true.
Most of the players mentioned have already said the story doesn't reflect what is happening or what they think

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This story seems to have been written on air - there is no substantiation for the claims. Maybe that is what the author wants - just to stir people up. Yuck if true.
Most of the players mentioned have already said the story doesn't reflect what is happening or what they think

Well that is the exact same story that Aquatronica told me and they eventually pulled out of the US Market because of it.

They had already negotiated a deal for MD to carry all of their controllers:
https://blog.marinedepot.com/2011/02/new-this-week-2911.html

They had all of the product line on the website and said they were taking Pre Orders.
This is the last remnant of that on their website.
https://www.marinedepot.com/aquatronica-probe-electrode-holder

Then I heard they got a call and from another controller company and they decided to discontinue dealing with Aquatronica before the first item went out the door.

As for the other major distributor, they would not even talk to them.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well that is the exact same story that Aquatronica told me and they eventually pulled out of the US Market because of it.

They had already negotiated a deal for MD to carry all of their controllers:
https://blog.marinedepot.com/2011/02/new-this-week-2911.html

They had all of the product line on the website and said they were taking Pre Orders.
This is the last remnant of that on their website.
https://www.marinedepot.com/aquatronica-probe-electrode-holder

Then I heard they got a call and from another controller company and they decided to discontinue dealing with Aquatronica before the first item went out the door.

As for the other major distributor, they would not even talk to them.
From Marine Depot:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our Hydros Control shipment was expected to arrive by 10/30 has been delayed due to Hurricane Zeta. The manufacturer, located in Louisiana, was affected by the hurricane and will ship our inventory as soon as they are able to. The Hydros Control launch will proceed as scheduled, therefore we are now accepting preorders with the expected ship date of next week.
UPDATE 11/3: From FedEx: "FedEx is conducting standard daily operations in the parts of AL, LA and MS recently affected by Hurricane Zeta. Previous hazardous conditions across the areas have subsided and FedEx is now back to standard daily operations." We should be receiving our shipment soon. Thank you for your understanding and patience.'

U

User1

View Badges

Common sense prevails.

New pod cast please! I'm thinking I may have to sponsor you for a message on the blue tape you have on the pop can ;)
Hope all is well with you and yours.

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff@CoralVue any thoughts on a UK version? Been running a WaveEngine since day one, love it and works here without issue - the controller with power sockets would be an issue.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No competition lead us to overpriced products and lower quality.
So Hydros is very welcome.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back