Assistance, frogspawn and euphyllia

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, wondering if I should be concerned, today we did a feeding of reef roids, formula two and a mix of frozen cubes (mysis, krill, cyclops, rotifiers)
Tank is 3 years old
Euphyllia and frogspawn have been thriving for 2 years+

We did a parameter check
Temp 77.5
Salt 1.025
Alk 9.3
Ph 8.0
Mag 1500 (always has been high never dose it)
Calcium 425
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 25ppm
Phosphate 0.10
Iodine 0.01

Dosed iodine today, and marine buffer today. Buffer gets dosed typically once every other month in the hotter months then once every 3-4 months in the cooler months. This was the first dose this summer. And was prompted by the 8.0 reading that I have had for the past several days, my tank is usually 8.3 very consistently and only dips 2-3 times a year.

When i dosed today everyone was happy and fat and flowing in the tank, as the night progressed i walked in to my euphyllia starting to deflate and my frogspawn completely deflated and looking like it was covered in mucus.

Should I be concerned?
All other corals and anemones in the tank are fine. Really dont want to lose these guys, so any information would be great.
Thank you

1656888493905121212154059159310.jpg 16568885227287465257906440733069.jpg 16568885388505128762646592857551.jpg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much iodine did you dose, and what did you use? They look almost melted...did anything you added get directly on the polyp?

It is very easy to go overboard with iodine/ate related dosing

OP
OP
Dmtd1OfThePast

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed vibrance from aqua vitro. Always dose through sump. Only dosed 3ml for a tank of 135 gal.

That's why I got concerned it was fully inflated and happy filling that whole hole in the rock today front to back so when I walked in and saw that I panicked.

OP
OP
Dmtd1OfThePast

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much iodine did you dose, and what did you use? They look almost melted...did anything you added get directly on the polyp?

It is very easy to go overboard with iodine/ate related dosing
I have been dosing this same iodine for the life of the tank as my rank chews through iodine.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say what the culprit is. As this happened after dosing iodine and buffer, it could be the change in parameters that caused some sort of bailout. If you see brown mush start forming remove the euphyllia asap.
Is your salinity/refractometer calibrated and accurate? Jw

OP
OP
Dmtd1OfThePast

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say what the culprit is. As this happened after dosing iodine and buffer, it could be the change in parameters that caused some sort of bailout. If you see brown mush start forming remove the euphyllia asap.
Yep calibrate it every week I use a refractometer. The only thing out of the ordinary was the buffer dose today, used marine buffer from Seachem. Same one I always use, like I said iodine gets dosed frequently, and all tests are salifert minus ph which is red sea, none are expired.

Would a .3 swing in PH really affect frogspawn that much?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you added the buffer. How much did Alk swing? It appears that whatever you added to sump it went to display before it mixed good and got on corals. Really weird.

Did they recover?

Marinexx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have perhaps a overcautiously avoided Euphyllia from blog entries describing tank toxins related to these spp. Is tank stability the key to success, and how minute a swing might cause animal death and the brown mucous?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have perhaps a overcautiously avoided Euphyllia from blog entries describing tank toxins related to these spp. Is tank stability the key to success, and how minute a swing might cause animal death and the brown mucous?
Tank stability is the key to success across all corals. Euphyllia seem sensitive to any quick spike or drop. It's hard to put a number on it since it's an animal and every specimen is slightly different, but aim to keep your parameters fairly close day by day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back