At what age you will quit the hobby for good?

At what age you will quit the hobby for good?

• Total voters

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in California they are going to drive people away from large tanks. By 2023 they are planning on limiting, through out the state, residential water consumption to 50 gallons per person per day. That includes water for landscaping, swimming pools, dish washing, laundry, bathing, drinking, aquariums, ect. have no idea what they plan for commercial properties. They fines are going to be big and the water rates will go up.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE have been married for 44 years and just last Tuesday I told my wife we have a fish tank. Thats how much interest she has in it. :rolleyes:

lol.. sounds like ours would get along great! We have been together 35 years this July but there where saltwater tanks in her home when she was growing up well before that.. may take your advice and duck tape a sledgehammer to the side of my next tank:D

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in California they are going to drive people away from large tanks. By 2023 they are planning on limiting, through out the state, residential water consumption to 50 gallons per person per day. That includes water for landscaping, swimming pools, dish washing, laundry, bathing, drinking, aquariums, ect. have no idea what they plan for commercial properties. They fines are going to be big and the water rates will go up.
I bet the rule doesn't apply to rich folks who live in Beverly Hills and the like. So get rich :)

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it has more to do with how well you take care of yourself than how hard it is to take care of the tank.

I know some 80 year old's that could absolutely manage the maintenance on a reef tank. I know some 60 year old's that could not.

I think there is a lot of truth to that. My 90 year old father could if he really felt the desire and did not go too big. I feel better today at 65 then I did when I was 55. But some of your luck is genetics. I see a lot of men that look older than me but are much younger, heck some look older than my 90 year old father. I know a guy that had angioplasty at 55 and he was the first male in his family to live past 50. just guess it is who gets the short straw.

wmwesty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there
I'm 53 and I wonder how old can we still maintaining a reef tank. My daily task is fairly simple and don't take a lot of physical strength to do it. I wonder any reefer here are pass 80 years old.
I’m 63 and find it easy, I suppose as long as I can lug buckets of water about I will

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there
I'm 53 and I wonder how old can we still maintaining a reef tank. My daily task is fairly simple and don't take a lot of physical strength to do it. I wonder any reefer here are pass 80 years old.
When i can not manage to care for my tank, mind you I started this hobby at 60

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 30 years of reef keeping so far. We'll just have to see. I'm 57 now, so I figure I've got a few more years to go!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That´s around 180 litres/24 hour. Average figure for Swedish citizens is 140 - 160 litres/24 hour - 37 - 42 gallon/24 hours. And we have a lot of good fresh water. You haven´t - have the Colorado river start to reach the Pacific again?

Sincerely Lasse

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silly question, age is different for everyone. I,m past 70 and still feel 30. I would never think quiting as an age question. when it's time, it's time.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not worry about water change. My system now has automatic water change with dos and apex. I'm concerning about kneeling down at 80 to fix the return pump, or a leak , or service the power head, protein skimmer, cal reactor, kalk reactor,carbon reactor, gfo reactor etc..... there are more than just water change to reef tank chore.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I can't carry 5 gallon buckets anymore, I will go to gallon jugs. Just take all day to do a water change. I'm 57 and do blue collar work. So hopefully being physical all day will help me later.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I get to the point I can't physically do it. I'll hire a service
Service can only come once a week to clean the tank, wc , some maintenance. What if a leak start on wed night. The only realistic way is down size to an AIO tank and keep a simple reef and that will be hard for me since my system now is 400g.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there
I am in it until I can't carry a 5 gallon bucket of water anymore.... Heck, Ill just pay someone when I can't do it any longer... I will have a reef in my hospice room if that is how it all played out....

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reef tank when I retired at 59. Fast forward 4 years, I'm 63 and still going strong! I think my tank maintenance has kept me in great shape. Without the tank, I might have spent a lot of time watching tv (shudder) and gotten lazy. Who knows, but I love my tank, I love this hobby, and I don't plan to quit any time soon!

+1 - I'm 60, and I would be putting on weight and getting out of shape if not for running up and down the stairs to my 165 gal reef (finished basement). The tank will help me live longer. But I rarely carry full buckets. Pumps are my best friends.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will quit when I can no longer do water changes or clean my front glass. The rest of the maintenance is simple. I keep my reef as simple as possible. I don’t have a lot of corals or a bunch of exotic equipment. I KISS so there’s less worry. When I upgrade next year I will get something in the range of 150-180 gal. Will just move my current livestock and watch what happens for the next 10 years, at 62 I will probably make another decision. A lot changes in 10 years.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back