ATI ICP - Salinity Issues

Well I'll be d@mned. So I made up the DIY calibration solution to @Randy Holmes-Farley's specs, using a digital scale that measures tenths of a gram, and Morton's kosher salt, which they state can be subbed at the same volume with table salt.

My BRS refractometer calibrated to 35 ppt using BRS juice is reading about 38.5 ppt with the calibration standard I just wipped up, which equates to about 1.029 sg. This seems to be about the same difference my ICP reported, about 3.5 ppt (they showed me at about ~31.5). So apparently my tank has been running at about 1.022 sg for some time now. Lovely.

Is it reasonable to conclude that the refractometer is okay, but my BRS calibration juice is bunk?
 
And I also just confirmed it at the LFS. They actually used a plastic swing arm hydrometer to measure and it showed between 1.021 and 1.022 sg. Apparently the BRS calibration juice is junk!
 
And I also just confirmed it at the LFS. They actually used a plastic swing arm hydrometer to measure and it showed between 1.021 and 1.022 sg. Apparently the BRS calibration juice is junk!
Like I mentioned, you should never have to shake calibration solution before use.
 
Well I'll be d@mned. So I made up the DIY calibration solution to @Randy Holmes-Farley's specs, using a digital scale that measures tenths of a gram, and Morton's kosher salt, which they state can be subbed at the same volume with table salt.

My BRS refractometer calibrated to 35 ppt using BRS juice is reading about 38.5 ppt with the calibration standard I just wipped up, which equates to about 1.029 sg. This seems to be about the same difference my ICP reported, about 3.5 ppt (they showed me at about ~31.5). So apparently my tank has been running at about 1.022 sg for some time now. Lovely.

Is it reasonable to conclude that the refractometer is okay, but my BRS calibration juice is bunk?

It may be that the BRS fluid is off for some reason, yes.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new