ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do it tomorrow. I first dismantled the lamps and put my radion on again. I'll call ATI tomorrow and ask what's wrong. Possibly one of the LED controllers is defective ... because one needed 1 1/2 hours to show up in the WiFi and before that, neither the green network LED nor the lamp worked on it. The blue only looks so extreme with the iPhone.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up an insanely overpriced piece of maple and stained it mocha to match the tank stand, mounted them to the board now they are all square and level with each other for the first time since installing the lights. I’ll check the par in the morning to see if anything changed since I moved them all closer to the middle to solve a bit of light spill on the ends.

D6BE618B-7F7A-4326-B27B-E6990DE8FA3A.jpeg
Where did you get the mounting brackets? Is someone carrying them in the US? Looks beautiful

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all, any feedback on my set up it is over a 60"x30"x24" (three in a row so touching) with sps up high and LPS down low, but I'd like to grow SPS lower in the tank too.

So it runs 6 hours at high intensity, ranging between SPS Plakativ, the daylight look for 30 minutes and then SPS/LPS as well.

Full photo period is around 12 hours. Growth has been OK but not as fast as my frag tank and I'm not sure why.

Capture.JPG

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the high intensity mixed reef preset in a 72 x28 x24 also with 3 lights and am getting good growth on my Acros at the bottom of the tank. It did seem to take a couple of months for them to fully acclimate. Am finding the amount of CA and Alk being consumed to be amazing. That has been the hardest thing to dial in for me. Having to supplement about 200 ml of each per day in a 180.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Karliefish I did a step by step in this thread, I’ll see if I can find it

Read #518 and on

I had the same issue, also make sure you are not trying to load the .zip, has to be the .tar

@ATI North America I would recommend to your engineers to update the website or whatever to include the instructions that you have to load the .tar

I’ve had multiple people ping me on firmware issues and a local reefer had the same issue when I helped them. I can confirm the light will let you select the .zip and load even though it will never take
I would REALLY REALLY encourage ATI North America to update their US website for people trying to do a firmware upgrade. It is much more involved than simply choosing the downloaded .tar file and hitting the run button. I have four lights and the total upgrade time was over 2 hours to go through the 18 step process I have outlined below. I hope others find these detail steps useful.

1) Save your current lighting configuration file as you will lose everything if you don't during step 5
2) Go to ATI North America site and download latest ATI Straton Firmware upgrade to your computer
3) Find the downloaded file and make sure it is unzip. THE UPGRADE WILL NOT WORK UNLESS THE .tar file IS UNZIPPED.
4) Power cycle each light
5) Using a paperclip push the reset button (very small hole) on the ATI Straton RJ45 block. This will reset your lights back to factory settings.
6) Install a R45 cable from your computer to the ATI Straton RJ45 block
7) Start the ATI Straton application on your laptop by tying-in the appropriate IP address (in my case this was 192.168.100.1)
8) When the login screen appears type-in appropriate login details
9) Navigate to the settings screen
10) Select firmware upgrade and select "file" find your unzip .tar file you downloaded from the ATI North America site (see step 2-3)
11) Run the upgrade. During this step a progress bar will be displayed showing the progress of the upgrade.
12) When the upgrade is completed you will most likely have to go out of the application and back in as it may not take you back to the sign-in screen
13) Sign back into the ATI Straton application, go to settings and confirm that the new firmware version is installed.
14) While you are in the settings screen you will need to reapply your local time zone settings as these are lost when you did the factory reset back in step 5
15) After you apply the correct time zone, the ATI Application will restart. If it doesn't restart, then go out and back into the application.
16) Next restart the ATI Straton application on your computer and go back into settings. This time you will want to configure your settings for your home network. Once this is completed, restart your application.
16) Unplug the RJ45 cable from the AIT Straton RJ45 block and also disconnect from your computer
17) Start the ATI Straton application using the correct IP address for your home network.
18) Reload your lighting configuration file that you saved back in step 1
20) Give yourself a pat on the back!

Hope this helps everyone!
Dana

WorkingHands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would REALLY REALLY encourage ATI North America to update their US website for people trying to do a firmware upgrade. It is much more involved than simply choosing the downloaded .tar file and hitting the run button. I have four lights and the total upgrade time was over 2 hours to go through the 18 step process I have outlined below. I hope others find these detail steps useful.

1) Save your current lighting configuration file as you will lose everything if you don't during step 5
2) Go to ATI North America site and download latest ATI Straton Firmware upgrade to your computer
3) Find the downloaded file and make sure it is unzip. THE UPGRADE WILL NOT WORK UNLESS THE .tar file IS UNZIPPED.
4) Power cycle each light
5) Using a paperclip push the reset button (very small hole) on the ATI Straton RJ45 block. This will reset your lights back to factory settings.
6) Install a R45 cable from your computer to the ATI Straton RJ45 block
7) Start the ATI Straton application on your laptop by tying-in the appropriate IP address (in my case this was 192.168.100.1)
8) When the login screen appears type-in appropriate login details
9) Navigate to the settings screen
10) Select firmware upgrade and select "file" find your unzip .tar file you downloaded from the ATI North America site (see step 2-3)
11) Run the upgrade. During this step a progress bar will be displayed showing the progress of the upgrade.
12) When the upgrade is completed you will most likely have to go out of the application and back in as it may not take you back to the sign-in screen
13) Sign back into the ATI Straton application, go to settings and confirm that the new firmware version is installed.
14) While you are in the settings screen you will need to reapply your local time zone settings as these are lost when you did the factory reset back in step 5
15) After you apply the correct time zone, the ATI Application will restart. If it doesn't restart, then go out and back into the application.
16) Next restart the ATI Straton application on your computer and go back into settings. This time you will want to configure your settings for your home network. Once this is completed, restart your application.
16) Unplug the RJ45 cable from the AIT Straton RJ45 block and also disconnect from your computer
17) Start the ATI Straton application using the correct IP address for your home network.
18) Reload your lighting configuration file that you saved back in step 1
20) Give yourself a pat on the back!

Hope this helps everyone!
Dana
Weird. It should not have taken that long. I just did 3 light a few days ago in 30 minutes at the most, wirelessly.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too originally had preordered the Coral Care but switched over to the Straton. The trade off was that I will now have to settle for a separate power supply which was not the case if I had stuck with the Coral Care. But the benefits that swayed me to choose the Stratons were the much sleeker and lighter weight design. It was hard for me to get past all that weight hanging over a brand new 180 glass tank. Also the ability to have separate programs for different sections of the same unit was attractive. I had already purchased two Orphek bars to supplement the Coral Cares with extra blues so now will be interesting to see what they do along side the Straton.
Hello @Oldreefer44: I am seriously considering replacing my 250W MH x 2 + 54W T5 Blue+ x2 unit over my 120g 4' x 2' x2' SPS dominant with 2 Straton. Was wondering if you think the Orphek bars really add much or are these overkill since you already had them? Thanks for the response.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. It should not have taken that long. I just did 3 light a few days ago in 30 minutes at the most, wirelessly.
Maybe you have figured out a shorter set of steps to go through the upgrade. This was the only way I got my firmware upgrade to work. I should probably add that I have a tank that is almost 400G and the light fixtures take some work to access.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! These look very sleek, and I love minimalist Lighting. I don’t think anything would get me to replace my halides on my ELOS, but does it really control the disco ball effect? I’ve *never* seen multi chip lights without a single lens do that, not even with a diffuser and even with 120 degree lenses like they use on a lot of the lights here in Japan (brands not available elsewhere). The sand always looks like static. Have any videos of the sand bed?

MarkDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was almost going to buy 2 Stratons for my Reefer 350 . Went to my LFS because i knew they had one over a tank . After a long chat with all of the workers , my will to buy those lights shrunk .
None of them was happy with the Light . They have Ati Hybrids / sunpower / powermodules and Sirius in the System but they all agreed on the Sirius . They weren´t happy with the Light . Coloration and Growth was almost non existend . Well i saw the Coral under the Lights and they also didnt look really good :S
Also the Lights was really Hot , you could still touch it but not for long . My guess is , that there´s something wrong with the Light or Setting as other User´s have great experience with the Lights . But i was a bit shocked and didnt buy the Light yet . Whats your Opionion on that ? Maybe i can tell my LFS and they get different results .

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was almost going to buy 2 Stratons for my Reefer 350 . Went to my LFS because i knew they had one over a tank . After a long chat with all of the workers , my will to buy those lights shrunk .
None of them was happy with the Light . They have Ati Hybrids / sunpower / powermodules and Sirius in the System but they all agreed on the Sirius . They weren´t happy with the Light . Coloration and Growth was almost non existend . Well i saw the Coral under the Lights and they also didnt look really good :S
Also the Lights was really Hot , you could still touch it but not for long . My guess is , that there´s something wrong with the Light or Setting as other User´s have great experience with the Lights . But i was a bit shocked and didnt buy the Light yet . Whats your Opionion on that ? Maybe i can tell my LFS and they get different results .
I agree with that. i have had two stratons here since last friday and i'm not happy with them. The performance of the lamps is miserable and I wonder how some users can achieve 600-700 Par!?! my two were hanging 12 cm above the tank and 25-30 cm below the surface of the water, with max power and sps plakativ prog. 340-360 par! If I create a schedule that I like personally, the lamps reach max 210-230 par in the same depth. as soon as white is only taken out, the lamp is not brighter than a tealight! and I also find it uncomfortably hot after a short time.

In addition, the deeper the tank, the more light it loses in intensity! In my case, only a few cm are enough and a lot of par is missing.

WorkingHands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What preset are they running or are they running a custom one? Are they running the latest firmware? Hot to the touch, that sounds like it is getting too hot for some reason and reducing power.

WorkingHands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that. i have had two stratons here since last friday and i'm not happy with them. The performance of the lamps is miserable and I wonder how some users can achieve 600-700 Par!?! my two were hanging 12 cm above the tank and 25-30 cm below the surface of the water, with max power and sps plakativ prog. 340-360 par! If I create a schedule that I like personally, the lamps reach max 210-230 par in the same depth. as soon as white is only taken out, the lamp is not brighter than a tealight! and I also find it uncomfortably hot after a short time.

In addition, the deeper the tank, the more light it loses in intensity! In my case, only a few cm are enough and a lot of par is missing.
Can you post pictures of the tank and how the lights are setup?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far I have no issue coloring or growing SPS, color has as much to do with parameters as it does with lighting. Go to my LFS and the SPS color sucks under T5 and Kessil’s. I recently dropped a frag off of homewrecker and pink lemonade, look nothing alike for colors after a week

MarkDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What preset are they running or are they running a custom one? Are they running the latest firmware? Hot to the touch, that sounds like it is getting too hot for some reason and reducing power.
I dont know which Preset or Firmware they are running currently , i ask them when i go there next time . Well i can say his Shop has around 98% SPS which in every Single Tank look amazing and has enormous grow rates only the Corals under the Straton look a bit sad . I dont want to talk bad about the Straton but this experience confused me a bit .

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Oldreefer44: I am seriously considering replacing my 250W MH x 2 + 54W T5 Blue+ x2 unit over my 120g 4' x 2' x2' SPS dominant with 2 Straton. Was wondering if you think the Orphek bars really add much or are these overkill since you already had them? Thanks for the response.
Good question. Are they overkill? No. Do they add color? Some. Sort of like what you see from vendors trying to embellish the colors of their corals under blue light. The UV (violet) is definitely noticeable. Could you get these effects by tweaking the Straton programming? Probably. So, IMO, unless you have money to spare they are probably not worth the extra cost to the average person. As a side note, I am one who thinks that there are numerous lights that work just fine but I have to say that these and the Phillips Coral carelights are ,IMO, the next level lights that others will be trying to replicate. Since installing 7 months ago I have had zero issues with the lights or the programming and due to increased coral growth my ALK and CA demand has more than doubled compared to what it was with my Atlantiks. The best part, no fan noise and, because you can mount them very close to the water they are completely hidden by the canopy.

chris_san

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carquois,
Deux STRATON ne remplaceront pas 2x250w de hqi.
J'ai acheté 2 STRATON pour remplacer ma rampe Giesemann Spectra . Au bout de 4 mois, j'ai revendu mes STRATON .
Il y avait un gros manque de puissance par rapport à la Giesemann.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carquois,
Deux STRATON ne remplaceront pas 2x250w de hqi.
J'ai acheté 2 STRATON pour remplacer ma rampe Giesemann Spectra . Au bout de 4 mois, j'ai revendu mes STRATON .
Il y avait un gros manque de puissance par rapport à la Giesemann.
Were you running them at full power?
Same photoperiod?
How did you determine there was a big lack of power?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back