ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Program ?
This is different for everyone depending on livestock. I try to mimic natural day light cycle. I run 12 hours total. 90 minutes blue (fluorescent) then LPS/SPS ramping from 35% to 75% back to 35% then 90 minutes decline florescent.

Peak 75% lasts about 2 hours in the midday.

periocillin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is different for everyone depending on livestock. I try to mimic natural day light cycle. I run 12 hours total. 90 minutes blue (fluorescent) then LPS/SPS ramping from 35% to 75% back to 35% then 90 minutes decline florescent.

I went from 4 xr15 g5pro to 2 straton and I noticed that the corals, especially the lower ones, are darkened and have very few polyps

I keep them at 25cm about 10 inches
i also have a blusky orphek bar.
ramp program 90 minutes sunrise and 90 minutes sunset 9 hours at 75% spl / lps slightly modified

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from 4 xr15 g5pro to 2 straton and I noticed that the corals, especially the lower ones, are darkened and have very few polyps

ramp program 90 minutes sunrise and 90 minutes sunset 9 hours at 75% spl / lps slightly modified
I switched from ATI 8 X 80 T5. M original setting at 65% max was to match the PAR of that fixture.

I did notice that a couple LPS were stressed (shrunken) in full light on the bottom. I gave them a little more shade and they came back. My SPS have been good the whole time.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these lights compared to halides? Thinking of these or 250 watt halides over my new tank.

I haven't ran led since the orphek panel, and my current 8 bulb T5 is a much better light than the orphek panel. I do like the OR3 supplemental led bars.

I'm still debating 2 halides or 2 stratons over my new tank.

Last edited:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from Halides to Atlantiks and now to Stratons. All will grow corals well. I feel that the Stratons are definitely a step up from both but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The primary difference to me is the ability to program them just about any way you want. Definitely more of a T5 effect versus the Orpheks as the coverage is better and the blending of the different colors is way better.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these lights compared to halides? Thinking of these or 250 watt halides over my new tank.

I haven't ran led since the orphek panel, and my current 8 bulb T5 is a much better light than the orphek panel. I do like the OR3 supplemental led bars.

I'm still debating 2 halides or 2 stratons over my new tank.
All of them will work, so it down to preferences.

Do aesthetics of the fixture itself matter?
Does heat matter?
Do you like running much blue in the light cycle?
Do you want to tweak colors or intensity?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next tank will be in the basement so heat wouldn't be an issue. The look of the stratons are the best out there for now. I like it, but it doesn't necessarily matter as I liked the look of halide shimmer and brightness in the past, and I could always have the cabinet builder make an open top canopy to match if I wanted to hide the halides.

I like the idea of a 12 hr photoperiod. I dont like the idea running halides longer than 6 to 8 hours. Was debating 2 or 3 stratons over a 59 inch long tank vs 2 cozumel suns. Not sure which direction to go. I like the simplicity of plug and play halides with the nice brightness and shimmer they gave as opposed to my current T5 tank, which is flat.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next tank will be in the basement so heat wouldn't be an issue. The look of the stratons are the best out there for now. I like it, but it doesn't necessarily matter as I liked the look of halide shimmer and brightness in the past, and I could always have the cabinet builder make an open top canopy to match if I wanted to hide the halides.

I like the idea of a 12 hr photoperiod. I dont like the idea running halides longer than 6 to 8 hours. Was debating 2 or 3 stratons over a 59 inch long tank vs 2 cozumel suns. Not sure which direction to go. I like the simplicity of plug and play halides with the nice brightness and shimmer they gave as opposed to my current T5 tank, which is flat.
I find the Straton light lacks shimmer for sure. Some people say they see some, but I do not. Since I came from T5, there was nothing to miss regarding shimmer.

I run 3 Stratons edge to edge over my 59" RSR 525. Not a lick of shade to be found.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should be careful i also use g5 xr15 pros on my frag tank - the max par I get on those at about 6” down is only around 300 PAR, that’s spaced about 12” apart at the normal mount height.
If you see above I get 600+ par at 14” under surface at 100% with Straton…

UncleFester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice on the number of Straton required for my current set up with consists of a Red Sea Reefer 250, current lighting is supplied my a Giessman Stellar Hybrid unit with 3 Orphek Bars, 2 Blue Plus and 1 Day, the 4 T5's consists of 2 Blue Plus and 2 Coral Plus, so, pretty much a blanket of lighting.

Having read through the various reviews and information that is currently available, I believe that the spread from the Straton cover an area of approx 30" however, I have read that by raising the unit you will get a wider spread, up to 36" with a trade off in PAR ?

Happy to purchase the 2 units as I suspect I will be up-grading to a larger system later in the year, tanks is 80% SPS.

Thanks in advance.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 over a 72 inch tank with 2 orphek bars and feel that it is a little overkill and since they are only 9 inches above the water line, I agree that one would work fine especially if you keep the bars.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the Straton light lacks shimmer for sure. Some people say they see some, but I do not. Since I came from T5, there was nothing to miss regarding shimmer.

I run 3 Stratons edge to edge over my 59" RSR 525. Not a lick of shade to be found.
I'll check out your build later today. Have been debating 3 stacked stratons over a 59" long ext 170 by IM vs 2 large halide pendants and orphek bars on the sides.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check out your build later today. Have been debating 3 stacked stratons over a 59" long ext 170 by IM vs 2 large halide pendants and orphek bars on the sides.
My build thread is not of my display, but a 12' install at local bank I did in may.

But here is a pic of my display -- going on 9 years now.

51580.jpg

MrSkumfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite lights that I’ve owned over the years (best to worse). Yours?

1. ATI Stratton
2. Giesemann Spectra (T5/Halide)
3. ATI Dimmable 6 bulb T5 (Know as the “Dimmable Sun-power” in US; known as “Powermodule” in Germany)
4. Giesemann Aurora (T5/LED)
5. Radion G3 XR30
6. Red Sea Reef 90s
7. Ecoxotic LEDs
8. AH Supply PC DIY
9. Hydras Gen 1

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great , program, duration and % ??
I gave you that earlier mate :)

Here again:
I run 12 hours total. 90 minutes blue (fluorescent) then LPS/SPS ramping from 35% to 75% back to 35% then 90 minutes decline florescent.

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know when a new updated model of the ati straton will come out?

on the sand do the ati stratons have an annoying disco ball effect?

periocillin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave you that earlier mate :)

Here again:
I run 12 hours total. 90 minutes blue (fluorescent) then LPS/SPS ramping from 35% to 75% back to 35% then 90 minutes decline florescent.

ok, sorry ;)

would you show me the graph?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back