ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

flyingdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means a canopy? Like, in my experience a canopy or a hooded tank significantly cuts down evaporation, meaning that you’re creating a pocket of extra humid air that the light source is sitting in.
Yes this is what I mean :). Excuse me for my bad English. I am from Europe and here we have the Ati Straton Flex or Pro versions.
The Philips Coralcare can be used in tanks with a canopy. I want to know if the Stratons could also be used in a tank with a canopy.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you mean by a "closed top tank" nor why this would be impacted by waterproofing? We do not have the Straton Flex in North America so I am not aware of the particulars, but nothing has been said about it being waterproof. Long story short Id vote keeping all lights out of the tank :)
Do the lights offered in NA have an Ingress Protection rating such as IP65?

cvicente

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Nobody?
Well, I can only write about my experience with the GEN 1 Stratons, splashproof maybe, waterproof not. The heat dissipation is second to none, so I don't see any problem enclosing them inside a canopy. The Stratons firmware monitor the fixture temperature, if they reach the upper temperature limit the firmware will adjust the fixture output returning them to a safe temperature. The diodes are not over driven for extended life.

flyingdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can only write about my experience with the GEN 1 Stratons, splashproof maybe, waterproof not. The heat dissipation is second to none, so I don't see any problem enclosing them inside a canopy. The Stratons firmware monitor the fixture temperature, if they reach the upper temperature limit the firmware will adjust the fixture output returning them to a safe temperature. The diodes are not over driven for extended life.
Thanks for the reply. There is some ventilation in the canopy so I hope it will be enough to keep the Straton "dry" enough. I asked ATI Europe if this is possible so we will wait and see if they respond.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried running whites so low on the whole fixture, but what is your PAR reading in a 60cm cube using the latest apogee? I would imagine ~3-400ish in the first 20cm, and around 200 or close at the sandbed. But given the size of your tank, if you wanted to use Straton without supplements you'll need to run everything at 100 or nearly so. There's only so much light you can get out of a ~220w fixture, also. Like I said earlier, I think they're perfect if you have one per 60cm cubic space especially if you want to dial down the whites some.
I don’t own a 60cm cube so can’t perform that apogee that

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'v bought 2 used ATI Straton from Germany. Both have a constant buzzing noise coming from a specific place, but different for the two units. Pretty annoying. Did anyone experience similar issue?
I've contacted support days ago but no answer yet.

ati-straton-noise.jpg
Did you ever find a solution or explanation for this noise? i just bought a pair and it's the same with them.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimming of LEDs basically means "blink really fast", so at different intensities it is likely the LEDs are blinking at a rate which causes audible noise. I would recommend testing the fixture at 100% (like many others have stated) or at a minimum change intensities slightly,,, for example if you usually run white at 75%, try 74% and see if it changes. I am not an engineer, but I suspect some intensities harmonize with the fixture or something making the noise. Every LED I have encountered seems to make noise at times, in my kitchen etc. Changing the intensity makes a difference.

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to drop this in here but if anyone is thinking about getting rid of their Straton Gen 1 I would be interested. Im building a 30'x30'x16' Tank and I think the Straton Pro would be a little bit of overkill for it.

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimming of LEDs basically means "blink really fast", so at different intensities it is likely the LEDs are blinking at a rate which causes audible noise. I would recommend testing the fixture at 100% (like many others have stated) or at a minimum change intensities slightly,,, for example if you usually run white at 75%, try 74% and see if it changes. I am not an engineer, but I suspect some intensities harmonize with the fixture or something making the noise. Every LED I have encountered seems to make noise at times, in my kitchen etc. Changing the intensity makes a difference.
Thanks. I did some testing and there's unfortunately no difference in the buzzing sound when testing different intensities.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I did some testing and there's unfortunately no difference in the buzzing sound when testing different intensities.
It could be noise produced by the AC/DC transformer, or any DC/DC buck converters they might use inside the fixture itself.

I’d try to connect the AC/DC transformer into a different electric circuit or a different transformer just to rule that out.

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mid setting up my fixture and just finished the “save” process where you set it up on your wifi and it turns on.

I then closed the app(stupidly) and I can’t log back in. If only there was a button to reset my password or find out if I incorrectly saved it.

Anybody know the process from here? I have another fixture to set up, so I could use that one to bring up the “create account” window again.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mid setting up my fixture and just finished the “save” process where you set it up on your wifi and it turns on.

I then closed the app(stupidly) and I can’t log back in. If only there was a button to reset my password or find out if I incorrectly saved it.

Anybody know the process from here? I have another fixture to set up, so I could use that one to bring up the “create account” window again.
You can reset it back to factory by holding the little button down on the black box that hooks to the power supply.

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can reset it back to factory by holding the little button down on the black box that hooks to the power supply.
Thanks for the reply, I used a paper clip and inserted into the reset slot on the ballast (same spot as powermodule). Then waited about 10 mins. The fixture seem to automatically log back in once I did the “admin” password/login with my own wifi network.

Love ATI a lot. But I really don’t believe they could’ve made a worse app. Happy it’s up and running now tho. Thanks

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I used a paper clip and inserted into the reset slot on the ballast (same spot as powermodule). Then waited about 10 mins. The fixture seem to automatically log back in once I did the “admin” password/login with my own wifi network.

Love ATI a lot. But I really don’t believe they could’ve made a worse app. Happy it’s up and running now tho. Thanks

Glad I could help. Fortunately, you won't ever really have to set it again unless you change networks. German made fixtures have great quality and very basic software that is just there to do the job.

I didn't like the software either, but it isn't the worst I've ever used. Hope all works out for you.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They make the most awesome hardware and the absolute worst software. Reminds me of my wife's BMW.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my testing they’ll perfectly cover 60x60cmx60cm with ~550 in the first 20cm or so, and about 200-220 at 60cm. I think your issue is you didn’t have enough, you need one for every 60cm square. This is if you run all channels at 100%, which I do, except for the greens (this isn’t a light for day-glo tanks of course, it’s made in Germany).

I don’t think there’s anything equivalent to stratons in the same watt range when it comes to a combo of par and coverage, but of course if you add more light (such as in the form of bars) you’ll get more par and coverage, especially if you need to push more par past a 60cm depth (Straton obviously don’t have lenses whereas some bars do).

It does seem that AI blades best Straton for par/coverage, we will see, I’m about to test 5 blades vs 3 Straton in a new build (similar wattage, 600 vs 660 watts).
lol….my four ATI Stratons cover my 96” long tank completely there would be no room for a fifth…,do the math.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back