ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol dude, theres not even earthquakes in switzerland.. but they still build that houses massive! I mean really massive

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly my results with Stratons have not been stellar. I have four of them over my 365G reef tank. I have to mount them just 10 inches above the waterline running at 100% for 6 hours a day and get around 300+ on the upper 1/3rd of my tank. Interesting enough…it wasn’t until I added Quantum led lights to supplement the Stratons did I see my corals (especially my sticks) respond dramatically. When I did my my original research on the Straton lights I was led to believe they would be par monsters - they are. NOT - just average. I can’t say enough great things about my quantum meso blue led strip lights!!! They saved my investment in Stratons!!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly my results with Stratons have not been stellar. I have four of them over my 365G reef tank. I have to mount them just 10 inches above the waterline running at 100% for 6 hours a day and get around 300+ on the upper 1/3rd of my tank. Interesting enough…it wasn’t until I added Quantum led lights to supplement the Stratons did I see my corals (especially my sticks) respond dramatically. When I did my my original research on the Straton lights I was led to believe they would be par monsters - they are. NOT - just average. I can’t say enough great things about my quantum meso blue led strip lights!!! They saved my investment in Stratons!!
In my testing they’ll perfectly cover 60x60cmx60cm with ~550 in the first 20cm or so, and about 200-220 at 60cm. I think your issue is you didn’t have enough, you need one for every 60cm square. This is if you run all channels at 100%, which I do, except for the greens (this isn’t a light for day-glo tanks of course, it’s made in Germany).

I don’t think there’s anything equivalent to stratons in the same watt range when it comes to a combo of par and coverage, but of course if you add more light (such as in the form of bars) you’ll get more par and coverage, especially if you need to push more par past a 60cm depth (Straton obviously don’t have lenses whereas some bars do).

It does seem that AI blades best Straton for par/coverage, we will see, I’m about to test 5 blades vs 3 Straton in a new build (similar wattage, 600 vs 660 watts).

Last edited:

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my testing they’ll perfectly cover 60x60cmx60cm with 450-550 in the first 20cm or so, and about 200-220 at 60cm. I think your issue is you didn’t have enough. If you’re SPS focused, I’d use four over 200cm x 80cm tank (my current large setup). I don’t think there’s anything equivalent to them in the same watt range when it comes to a combo of par and coverage, but of course if you add more light (such as in the form of bars) you’ll get more par and coverage.

It does seem that AI blades best Straton for par/coverage, we will see, I’m about to test 5 blades vs 3 Straton in a new build.
Or they are running heavy blue and not a lot of white channels. I am getting a TON of par when I run my daylight schedule and they drop dramatically when the whites are off and only blues.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or they are running heavy blue and not a lot of white channels. I am getting a TON of par when I run my daylight schedule and they drop dramatically when the whites are off and only blues.
Right. Definitely not a light for the US day-glo market :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was a few hobbyist complaints when the Coral Care Gen 2's got tested. Everyone took results under a "recommended" spectrum then reported low PAR numbers. Take the measurements again with them properly used and the results changed. Hobbyist need to pick the right tool for the job...

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your "geometry".

Can't say anything without knowing what the pattern and surface area dimensions are.
Gut tells me 10" is too high.
LED panel is about 16" x 16" (15.7")
Even at 100 degree spread angle your "cone" covers over 38".
They "recommend" being able to do 30" coverage but don't say at what height.

Lights more like a t5 than a mh.
atistratbrs.JPG

BRS recommended 9"

If you had one fixture over a 30" wide cube tank I'd start at 7" from the face to the
water line.
The par's there, just where it is is err questionable.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my testing they’ll perfectly cover 60x60cmx60cm with ~550 in the first 20cm or so, and about 200-220 at 60cm. I think your issue is you didn’t have enough, you need one for every 60cm square. This is if you run all channels at 100%, which I do, except for the greens (this isn’t a light for day-glo tanks of course, it’s made in Germany).

I don’t think there’s anything equivalent to stratons in the same watt range when it comes to a combo of par and coverage, but of course if you add more light (such as in the form of bars) you’ll get more par and coverage, especially if you need to push more par past a 60cm depth (Straton obviously don’t have lenses whereas some bars do).

It does seem that AI blades best Straton for par/coverage, we will see, I’m about to test 5 blades vs 3 Straton in a new build (similar wattage, 600 vs 660 watts).
I'm starting to lean Blades but all Grow as I'm not a fan of the glow tanks. Best akin to running T5 or old school VHO. What I was seeking with panel style lights such as these Stratons or the Phillips. Just wished they had a way to daisy chain the cords. I see that being a potential mess.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to lean Blades but all Grow as I'm not a fan of the glow tanks. Best akin to running T5 or old school VHO. What I was seeking with panel style lights such as these Stratons or the Phillips. Just wished they had a way to daisy chain the cords. I see that being a potential mess.
Yeah I’m actually using a combo of the blade freshwater, grow, glow, and t5.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The "brains" of the Straton are not in the fixture itself, so daisy chaining cords would be a huge challenge.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does seem that AI blades best Straton for par/coverage, we will see, I’m about to test 5 blades vs 3 Straton in a new build (similar wattage, 600 vs 660 watts)
I couldn't add a fifth straton panel even if I wanted - not enough room. Lights strips on the outside (front & back) were my only option

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "brains" of the Straton are not in the fixture itself, so daisy chaining cords would be a huge challenge.
Was referring to the Blades and why I'm seeking a solution such as Straton or the Phillips where less units would allow mimicking T5.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was referring to the Blades and why I'm seeking a solution such as Straton or the Phillips where less units would allow mimicking T5.
If you need 450+ par in the top 20 cm, one Stratton will cover 60x60 perfectly with that intensity. If you wanted around 300 in the too 20cm, you could increase that to probably around 80x80 or so (+\- 10cm depending). I think they’re great fixtures. I haven’t tried the newer versions but it seems they’re a step backwards because they use lenses which reduces the spread and blending.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried the newer versions but it seems they’re a step backwards because they use lenses which reduces the spread and blending.
Perhaps to increase depth penetration?

cvicente

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps to increase depth penetration?
ATI eliminated the diffuser to reduce light spill. I run two GEN 1 Stratons over my 120 gal and the beauty of this fixture is precisely the light diffuser, almost identical to T5. Bad business decision IMO, ATI should have left both models available.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI eliminated the diffuser to reduce light spill. I run two GEN 1 Stratons over my 120 gal and the beauty of this fixture is precisely the light diffuser, almost identical to T5. Bad business decision IMO, ATI should have left both models available.
I'm seeking T5 like spread. Can manage light spill.

Perhaps as with Radion there's a diffuser option down the road to satisfy those seeking a flatter spread vs punching deeper.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back