ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Stratons have been rock solid since running the latest firmware. I still think the whole mounting situation in the NA market is ridiculous, ATI.NA seems to have just thrown their hands up when asked about it now. I still want to use the ATI 9016 brackets eventually.

So the Coles notes checklist:

Good:
  • Great coverage, diffusion and good par output
  • No side / undermount glare
  • Slight shimmer so not the completely stale look of T5's
  • Good spectrum
  • Built-in webserver control for those that hate apps
  • Power / control cable can be disconnected from the control box / power supply for routing through holes
  • Power / control cable can be DIY extended
Not so good:
  • Poor availability and no mounting options makes the NA release feel second rate
  • Expensive
I won't disagree with most of your points with the exception of two. Expensive and "second rate"?

Expensive: Depends on how short your sight is. Where else can you get a fixture that covers 36 x 36 and can throw out the exact same par at 1 inch, 18 inches and 36 inches of the fixture? Also, 153 led's, 230 watts and of those 153 led's, a large portion are in the lower "UV/Violet" spectrum which everyone is slowly coming around to realize that it is extremely important.

Second rate: Honestly, I don't see how anyone can call the Straton second rate. It's made 100 times better than ANY fixture on the market. It's silent, runs extremely cool and looks like an Apple product.

I'm going to get to the point and it might hurt a few feelings. If you're worried about $1100 on the best led available, you're in the wrong hobby. I don't care how many videos people create saying reefing can be done on a budget, that's an absolute laugh.

I can tell you that ATI developed the Straton to be an LED version of their Sunpower T5s. The best benefit, or worst, is the ability to adjust spectrum.

Time will tell as it hasn't been out long enough and a very select few own it, to tell if it is close to T5. I sure hope and think it is.

Great post Kyl, glad to hear your thoughts and I think they are all valid points that should be addressed by ATI marketing. They absolutely do need to increase production output. However, if increased production means decreased quality, then let the shortage continue.

Mine has been perfect after the firmware upgrade.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Stratons have been rock solid since running the latest firmware. I still think the whole mounting situation in the NA market is ridiculous, ATI.NA seems to have just thrown their hands up when asked about it now. I still want to use the ATI 9016 brackets eventually.

So the Coles notes checklist:

Good:
  • Great coverage, diffusion and good par output
  • No side / undermount glare
  • Slight shimmer so not the completely stale look of T5's
  • Good spectrum
  • Built-in webserver control for those that hate apps
  • Power / control cable can be disconnected from the control box / power supply for routing through holes
  • Power / control cable can be DIY extended
Not so good:
  • Poor availability and no mounting options makes the NA release feel second rate
  • Expensive
As far as expense, I feel they are on par, or maybe cheaper than other premium LEDs in that they provide more coverage. So for my 5 foot tank, I am running 2 stratons, but would need 3 Radions, which makes the ATI a little cheaper. Compared to 'budget' LED lighting, T5s... quite expensive. I don't think you need to spend a lot of money for lights, but they stylish and not out of place in my living room, great spectrum and are reliable.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't disagree with most of your points with the exception of two. Expensive and "second rate"?

Expensive: Depends on how short your sight is. Where else can you get a fixture that covers 36 x 36 and can throw out the exact same par at 1 inch, 18 inches and 36 inches of the fixture? Also, 153 led's, 230 watts and of those 153 led's, a large portion are in the lower "UV/Violet" spectrum which everyone is slowly coming around to realize that it is extremely important.

Second rate: Honestly, I don't see how anyone can call the Straton second rate. It's made 100 times better than ANY fixture on the market. It's silent, runs extremely cool and looks like an Apple product.
They're still expensive, as are other "premium" options in the market. It's not so much a different theme for ATI as most of their T5 or hybrid fixtures are also rather expensive, but it's still a con in the over-all. I'm not going to say they're a bad value versus coverage, because they cover more than a usual fixture, but they're still expensive.

Second rate as in with many German brands, the NA market feels like it gets treated like an add-on. Not the lights themselves, but the rollout of them, is what I was referencing. These lights are coming up on two years of release in DE, and near a year of the bracket/bar in DE, and still scarce this side of the ocean for the former, and nothing at all for the latter.

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased 3 units on pre-order for my new 260 g build. Hopefully will get it at some point in near future.

Quick question - I do love the pop Orphek bars provide. Do Stratons have enough blue for night viewing for coral pop? Do you guys recommend addition of Orphek bars on both sides or is this overkill?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased 3 units on pre-order for my new 260 g build. Hopefully will get it at some point in near future.

Quick question - I do love the pop Orphek bars provide. Do Stratons have enough blue for night viewing for coral pop? Do you guys recommend addition of Orphek bars on both sides or is this overkill?

Overkill, just run florescent

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have them with my Stratons only because they were on my old tank. I have one Blue plus and one UV (violet). They do add some pop that I have to say I really like. Only you can decide if they are worth it.

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored hello. what are you using to mount the cable on the wood panel? Thanks
C6C0451B-B1AC-4573-B9D6-9999205F8947 (1)_edit_334543199626035.jpg

periocillin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please , Tell me how I can set the Straton to turn off after midnight (12PM)
Thank you

come faccio ad impostare lo spegnimento oltre le ore 12 pm ???

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Please , Tell me how I can set the Straton to turn off after midnight (12PM)
Thank you

come faccio ad impostare lo spegnimento oltre le ore 12 pm ???
Periocillin,

That should be very easy. Do you know how to set the light time points? Or are you new to it?

Let us know and we can go from there. You can click on Presettings and follow the choices. From there you can set the time to turn on and off at a certain time.

periocillin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found it, i moved the time zone and i solved it.
do you have a great program for acropore?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found it, i moved the time zone and i solved it.
do you have a great program for acropore?
I would suggest cycling through the different presets to see what you like. They have one setting specifically for them -- I think it is "Plativ" or similar but it was too white for my taste.

I chose to run florescent (very blue) for morning and evening and LPS/SPS for daylight.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received 4 Stratons for my 450G. Three of them set up super easy. The fourth one seemed to set up fine but when I renamed it and changed the Wifi mode it just became lost? Its not on my home Wifi, Its not putting out its own Wifi signal. The green light is on, on the power box but if I try to do a factory reset I never get the second green light.

I've tried unplugging it and replugging it back in, then trying to reset but no luck.

I tried plugging it into my computer directly but it doesn't seem like my computer detects the USB. I'll contact ATI tomorrow but was hopping someone on here would have some ideas today.

thanks

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just received 4 Stratons for my 450G. Three of them set up super easy. The fourth one seemed to set up fine but when I renamed it and changed the Wifi mode it just became lost? Its not on my home Wifi, Its not putting out its own Wifi signal. The green light is on, on the power box but if I try to do a factory reset I never get the second green light.

I've tried unplugging it and replugging it back in, then trying to reset but no luck.

I tried plugging it into my computer directly but it doesn't seem like my computer detects the USB. I'll contact ATI tomorrow but was hopping someone on here would have some ideas today.

thanks
You didn't set static IP addresses did you? That sounds like there are two devices on your network that share a name or IP address and they are colliding.

Also, did you hold the reset with a paperclip on the black network box?

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to factory reset one of mine today. I got two. Did you hold the reset button down until both green LEDs on the ethernet port remained lit? They blink a bunch and flash before they're solid green. When they're solid green the unit is resetting, but it seems to take a minute or two or actually complete the process.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did not set static IPs. Just tried holding the reset for like 15Sec and nothing. Only one solid green light. How long do i need to hold it down?
Read the post right above from inktomi. Also, make sure you're pushing the one on the black box (network box).

Did you also set the time zone on your others?

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I read both posts. I am pushing the reset button on the black box, right next to the ethernet jack. Prior to reset only one light is solid green. While resetting the other light never illuminates. I have been holding it down for quite a while and nothing happens.

Back