ATI Straton vs. Orphek Icon

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into replacing my current lighting set up on a standard 120g (old Oceanic with center brace 48" L x 24" W x 24" D) DT that is SPS dominant. I currently have 2 x 250w MH DE HQI 14K (Phoenix bulb) with 2 x 54 w ATI Blue+ and 1 x 48" ReefBrite XHO actinic. The fixture is about 9 inches above water line and PAR ranges from 650 at top of rock work to 200 at floor of bare bottom. I have been looking at replacing this set up with either 2 ATI Stratons or 2 Orphek Atlantic Icon Compacts. Both system seem to get very high ratings here. The 2 Orphek Icon compacts would be about half the price of the 2 Stratons. Any thoughts, experience with both or either? I know @Hydrored has had both but it does not look like he really got a chance to try the regular Icons since having to take down his system recently. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into replacing my current lighting set up on a standard 120g (old Oceanic with center brace 48" L x 24" W x 24" D) DT that is SPS dominant. I currently have 2 x 250w MH DE HQI 14K (Phoenix bulb) with 2 x 54 w ATI Blue+ and 1 x 48" ReefBrite XHO actinic. The fixture is about 9 inches above water line and PAR ranges from 650 at top of rock work to 200 at floor of bare bottom. I have been looking at replacing this set up with either 2 ATI Stratons or 2 Orphek Atlantic Icon Compacts. Both system seem to get very high ratings here. The 2 Orphek Icon compacts would be about half the price of the 2 Stratons. Any thoughts, experience with both or either? I know @Hydrored has had both but it does not look like he really got a chance to try the regular Icons since having to take down his system recently. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi my system is still up and running using 6 Orphek Icons. I will say no way does 2 compacts cover that footprint, Orpheks are PAR monsters but due to the lenses, they do not provide the spread needed. I would take 2 Stratons over 2 compacts especially because you are SPS dominant.

If I was forced to pick one I would take the Orphek Icons over Stratons at this point due to the mounting height, spectrum, shimmer, mounting options, and lack of light spill. I do not have the colors of my SPS that I had under the Stratons yet, but, I went through a tank swap with bad salt and the tank just needs to settle.

Edit: I would watch the BRS review of the Atlantiks to see what I mean when it comes to the spread. SPS down the middle and LPS on the outside would be fine, I believe this is why you see many SPS tanks using a bunch of Orpheks is due to the lenses and spread. Orpheks can put down some insane PAR at 16" mounting heights, this is all due to the lenses

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quiverfull

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored: thanks for your opinion. I really like the shimmer of my MHs and would prefer to keep some of that. What about 2 standard Icons mounted on the long axis parallel to the long axis of the tank? Would i get the ~ 24 inch width of light spread mounting them that way? The cost of 2 regular Icons would be about the same as the Stratons. My tank is in wall so I don't care about light spill or look of the fixture. Ease of mounting would be a consideration - I thought about creating a motorized lift for ease of maintenance so i would be using some 8020 for the mounting frame. I have seen all the mods for mounting the Stratons - a pain but doable.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both and they are both good lights. Agree that you would need more than 2 compacts. The difference to me was coral coloration and what I felt was a little better spread with the Stratons. I gained a lot of shimmer by adding in a couple of Orphek light bars to the mix. Stratons are usually very hard to find so if that are your choice get on lists now.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored: thanks for your opinion. I really like the shimmer of my MHs and would prefer to keep some of that. What about 2 standard Icons mounted on the long axis parallel to the long axis of the tank? Would i get the ~ 24 inch width of light spread mounting them that way? The cost of 2 regular Icons would be about the same as the Stratons. My tank is in wall so I don't care about light spill or look of the fixture. Ease of mounting would be a consideration - I thought about creating a motorized lift for ease of maintenance so i would be using some 8020 for the mounting frame. I have seen all the mods for mounting the Stratons - a pain but doable.

You can mount the Orpheks pretty high, if you reach out to Orphek direct they usually offer a discount if buying 2. You can do that setup but add some blue sky front and back and still come under the price of the Stratons. If you just want the best coverage for the dollar between Orphek and Stratons it will be the Stratons,but to warn you, coming from halide you will not get any shimmer from the Stratons.

The Orphek Helius program is a nice 14k with shimmer, my one gripe about the Stratons is they are more like T5's than anything else when looking at the tank. The Orpheks mounting post also slide perfect in 8020 15 Series, my picture is below, so mounting is very easy

orphek-universal-fixing-bracket-4-1200x1200.jpeg

6a9e4e88-40ae-4ce1-9f85-b1f8e03f92b5-jpeg.2533236

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not consider Orphek compacts period. Two regular Icons make more sense.

I would also factor in light spill.......mounting those Orphek that high is going to create a lot and could be annoying when you are looking at the tank close up. It's also an ugly look in any room and the Strattons are definetely sleek looking vs those hulky rectangle Orpheks

Strattons will have no light spill and in the same vein there are Coral Cares. I saw two in person over a 60x24" tank and it was beautiful. CC get way to bad of a rap on looks. They are much cleaner than rectangle type units.

Comes down to your preference........how much will you miss shimmer lines vs light spill and less coverage.

I would also consider Reefi Duo Extremes which have reflectors and thus no light spill and offer shimmer too. If your going to go down the road of adding a few reef bars this combo would be your best cost and performance wise in one package. They also carry a 3 year warranty and being a smaller type company you get specific personal contact from the owner.

If you happen to be back up here before you buy you can see a Reefi I have setup.

Mitras are also a strong candidate. Use Reefbum's new 187g tank videos on you tube for reference or talk to him directly. I believe they also carry more than a one year warranty. He sells them, so again you are going to get more actionable and personal care.

Last edited:

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my system is still up and running using 6 Orphek Icons. I will say no way does 2 compacts cover that footprint, Orpheks are PAR monsters but due to the lenses, they do not provide the spread needed. I would take 2 Stratons over 2 compacts especially because you are SPS dominant.

If I was forced to pick one I would take the Orphek Icons over Stratons at this point due to the mounting height, spectrum, shimmer, mounting options, and lack of light spill. I do not have the colors of my SPS that I had under the Stratons yet, but, I went through a tank swap with bad salt and the tank just needs to settle.

Edit: I would watch the BRS review of the Atlantiks to see what I mean when it comes to the spread. SPS down the middle and LPS on the outside would be fine, I believe this is why you see many SPS tanks using a bunch of Orpheks is due to the lenses and spread. Orpheks can put down some insane PAR at 16" mounting heights, this is all due to the lenses
Wow you've been Stratons all the way for a hot minute, but always nice to hear different or changing opinions! I have also considered orpheks on my upcoming build (currently in the middle of building my home and am doing a 84x48x30" peninsula display with dedicated filtration room). Stratons by themselves are still my favorite, but if I can find a good way to diffuse the orpheks, I may go that route (doesn't have to be pretty as it is built into wall with hood).

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you've been Stratons all the way for a hot minute, but always nice to hear different or changing opinions! I have also considered orpheks on my upcoming build (currently in the middle of building my home and am doing a 84x48x30" peninsula display with dedicated filtration room). Stratons by themselves are still my favorite, but if I can find a good way to diffuse the orpheks, I may go that route (doesn't have to be pretty as it is built into wall with hood).

You are not wrong, I’m still a big fan of the Stratons. I hope on the next design they figure out a better way to mount them or at least include the brackets with the lights.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek also sells a bracket that you can connect an orphek bar on each side of the fixture for more width and to cover the tank better should you feel it’s needed. Icons imo are the best led out there at the moment. Putting a 36” or 48” bars connecting compacts is a solid route

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I mounted my Orpheks over my 48/48/24 cube.

corey

Attachments

• FB24629C-1A81-436D-B9E7-3946471F507F.jpeg
    FB24629C-1A81-436D-B9E7-3946471F507F.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 44BBF82C-1A57-43BA-B5CF-B0558F001B86.jpeg
    44BBF82C-1A57-43BA-B5CF-B0558F001B86.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 417

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have basically this exact same dimension tank, just 26" height instead of 30". I have 6 Stratons and can't even imagine having a different light. Have had multiple industry people come over and see it and they all agree its the best looking light they've ever seen (in terms of physical appearance of the light in the room and the light spread inside the aquarium) I have to agree.

That said, I reached out to ATI Germany directly and had them send the light rail kits with my tank. I had to get two rails with 3 lights on each one. I then bought a piece of stainless steel from Lowes and attached it between the two rails so they sit perfectly level when mounted.

Orpheks are basically the highest quality black box lights you can get. Stratons are more refined, but you pay for that refinement. If you have the money, get the Stratons. If you're at the end of your wallet on the build I think the icons will be fine and grow corals great. The good news is you can't go wrong either way.

I'm attaching a picture for reference. Keep in mind I am running the Stratons on the LPS mode with acclimation setting activated as my tank is fish-less cycling and I'm trying to keep algae at bay. They look WAY different on the SPS setting I will be running them at once the tank is established.

Attachments

• IMG_9350.JPG
    IMG_9350.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 428

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have basically this exact same dimension tank, just 26" height instead of 30". I have 6 Stratons and can't even imagine having a different light. Have had multiple industry people come over and see it and they all agree its the best looking light they've ever seen (in terms of physical appearance of the light in the room and the light spread inside the aquarium) I have to agree.

That said, I reached out to ATI Germany directly and had them send the light rail kits with my tank. I had to get two rails with 3 lights on each one. I then bought a piece of stainless steel from Lowes and attached it between the two rails so they sit perfectly level when mounted.

Orpheks are basically the highest quality black box lights you can get. Stratons are more refined, but you pay for that refinement. If you have the money, get the Stratons. If you're at the end of your wallet on the build I think the icons will be fine and grow corals great. The good news is you can't go wrong either way.

I'm attaching a picture for reference. Keep in mind I am running the Stratons on the LPS mode with acclimation setting activated as my tank is fish-less cycling and I'm trying to keep algae at bay. They look WAY different on the SPS setting I will be running them at once the tank is established.

Not sure I agree with your assessment as I have owned both, including multiple other “high end lights” and I’m not sure you have seen the build quality inside of orpheks compared to a G5 Radion or a Neptune Sky. I could argue other than Orphek being made in china I consider Orphek build above many others

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phillips, Sky & Stratton are all made to look lie a t-5 tank by design.

Yes, the dilema for me as a T5 user is I see no upside in changing. Those units are so expensive that It would take 7.3 years of bulb changes to break even & then where am I at with two 7.3 year old Strattons??? Sunpower has no end to lifetime........I re-up spectrum every 12-14 months so it's always refreshing. I might do a ballast or fan change but that is going to be maybe once and they are $25 items.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quiverfull

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your thoughts. My DT is built into the wall so light spill is not an issue for me. Appearance is also not a huge consideration. I like the fact that the Stratons do not have fans (less things to break) although again, sound is not an issue for me. I do like the shimmer of my MH bulbs, and this is something I would like to keep if performance and reliability are equal. I have T5s (Blue+ and Coral+) and Kessil A360 on my other tank and I do like the look when all are on.

If my DT was not built in I think I would go with the Straton's hands down based on the look and lack of fans - like @ReefCheef (Beautiful tank!) I have always been intrigued with the Orphek product but heard there were issues in the past with their control (sounds like this has been resolved).

@Big E , I may touch base with you next time I am up in your area to check out your Reefi Duo Extremes. I know you've had them for awhile but had not set them up. How long have you had them over your sps colonies?

@biecacka, how long have you had your Orpheks? What do you think about the control interface and ability to get the look you like?

@Hydrored I have followed all your posts and appreciate your opinion having had both the Stratons and the Icons.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree with your assessment as I have owned both, including multiple other “high end lights” and I’m not sure you have seen the build quality inside of orpheks compared to a G5 Radion or a Neptune Sky. I could argue other than Orphek being made in china I consider Orphek build above many others
Not saying the Orphek isn't a great light. I looked at them too and have seen many great tanks lit by them. I know you had the Stratons too I saw you on that thread when I was doing my research.

R2R mods: can we PLEASE turn off the autocorrect on the site? It constantly is posting ridiculous things and then "correcting" it over and over again sometimes 5 times or more. Get rid of that crap!!

Back