ATI T-5 lighting question for a 40b LPS

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at an ATI fixture for my 40g breeder and am doing a lot of research. The tank will be almost solely LPS, with some softies. Looking at ATI’s charts, it says that a 24” fixture can easily light a 36” wide tank. A 36” fixture has a 40g at the low end of what it will light. So here’s my question. What would make more sense, a 24” with say 6 bulbs for more color variation, or a 36” with 4 bulbs to cover the length of the tank. I may add the reefbrite LEDs for some color pop later. My goal is great LPS growth and coloration. Am I thinking about this right? Any and all suggestions are greatly welcome!

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high do you plan on mounting it above the water?

The 24" fixture would be ok as long as it is mounted high enough to light the sides.

And you don't always need a fixture the same size as the tank. I have a 4 bulb 24in over my 20 long, and I have plenty of light spilling away from the tank. I think I should have gone with 2 bulbs and a led strip.

I would go with the 24in fixture.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The total wattage for the 24 " fixture is 144w; 156w for the 36". BRS recommends the 36" for tanks up to 80 gallons, so I think you'll be fine.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at an ATI fixture for my 40g breeder and am doing a lot of research. The tank will be almost solely LPS, with some softies. Looking at ATI’s charts, it says that a 24” fixture can easily light a 36” wide tank. A 36” fixture has a 40g at the low end of what it will light. So here’s my question. What would make more sense, a 24” with say 6 bulbs for more color variation, or a 36” with 4 bulbs to cover the length of the tank. I may add the reefbrite LEDs for some color pop later. My goal is great LPS growth and coloration. Am I thinking about this right? Any and all suggestions are greatly welcome!

For LPS and softies, either will work. 4 bulbs on a 36" fixture will be plenty. A 24" fixture will be fine if mounted high enough.

I'd probably go with a 36" 4 bulb fixture if you think you might add some LED strips later.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For LPS and softies, either will work. 4 bulbs on a 36" fixture will be plenty. A 24" fixture will be fine if mounted high enough.

I'd probably go with a 36" 4 bulb fixture if you think you might add some LED strips later.
I would add the LED strips for coloration. That’s what they’re for right?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV, violet, and <45onm LEDs can showcase many fluorescent proteins, but it is a double-edged sword. They can also cause a transition of green to red in some corals.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs are light. They are going to provide you additional par and spectrum. The "coloration" will depend on the type of LED bar you choose. The LEDs bars with just blue / violet LEDs are popular, as people seem to really like the extra "pop" that those LEDs provide for a reef tank but you're hardly limited to those. Most people like adding LEDs to T5 lights as they are very controllable for dimming / ramping up (versus most T5s which are simply on / off) and LEDs will provide you some shimmer, although the T5s will mute it somewhat. I run T5s with kessils. I love both LEDs and t5s and prefer having both.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 36" 6-bulb, but get the dimmable Sunpower. You obviously don't need the PAR that the fixture is capable of for your current plans, but if you ever want to add SPS, move to a bigger tank, etc the 36" gives you far more flexibility.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 36" 6-bulb, but get the dimmable Sunpower. You obviously don't need the PAR that the fixture is capable of for your current plans, but if you ever want to add SPS, move to a bigger tank, etc the 36" gives you far more flexibility.
With the right t-5 bulbs alone, can I get good coloration in the corals? I’ve done a ton of research and it seems that LPS like t-5’s.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the right t-5 bulbs alone, can I get good coloration in the corals? I’ve done a ton of research and it seems that LPS like t-5’s.
Yes, T5's can color corals! But T5 lighting is going to look somewhat different than LED lighting. Some people describe T5 lighting as looking "flat" because it is very diffuse and will not provide you any shimmer. However, LED's have their downsides also. It depends on what your preference is. If you're having doubts about using T5 lights, you should go look at some T5 lighting set ups and some LED setups. If you do go look at T5 setups, DON'T focus on the color of the the tank...you can create an overall deep blue to a crisp white look with your selection of T5 bulbs. You want to focus more on how the light is distributed and how that appeals to you. Personally, I love LED's but I doubt I could run a tank without also having T5 bulbs.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had CF bulbs and LED’s in a nano. I upgraded to the LED’s but never had much luck with them (plus it was a nano and impossible to keep stable). I like a whiter tank with colored corals. I don’t mind a little blue but the really blue tanks are visually appealing to me. I know that there’s more movement with LED’s, but it seems that T-5’s are more plug and play success, especially with LPS. If I can get good growth and color with LED’s, I can live with the “flat” effect. I also know that you can fiddle with the types of bulbs in t-5’s to adjust the color.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ATI Bulb colors do you recommend for growth, Coral pop, and a whiter tank look?
Blue plus and coral plus 1:1 combination should give you a whiter tank (whiter by most people's standards nowadays anyway).

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All coral love T5 and halide. I think you’re on the right track with the advice here.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ATI Bulb colors do you recommend for growth, Coral pop, and a whiter tank look?

Personally, I like 2x blue+, 1 coral plus, and 1 purple. I like how the reds & blues look with a purple, but mainly the fish just look fantastic under it. I’ve tried 2x blue and 2x white combo and it just wasn’t for me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back