ATO Reservoir— Not a bucket but not $200?

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's like me with buying open box from Coralvue. The listing's always says the box was previously opened and damaged but it's always been like new and worked. Saved a lot of good money on their open box items.
that’s how they get around MAP pricing, list it as open box and send ya a new one.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr mojo risin was an “alternate” name for Jim Morrison who was near obsessed with faking his own death. Then later he died in France. Or did he?
Bricks, the casket was filled with bricks. I bet he and Elvis will be at a Stones show

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr mojo risin was an “alternate” name for Jim Morrison who was near obsessed with faking his own death. Then later he died in France. Or did he?
Ah hah! My head came out of my ssa. I went back in the thread and see it now.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a 65g ($300) vertical water storage tank in my utility room. I use the tunze ato to trigger a pump in the remote tank and it pumps water to my sump. Pros are it's fairly priced for how much water you can store, you gain efficiency when making rodi water, it's hidden and no one see's it. Cons are it takes up space so if you're space constrained this wont work for you. You also have to run a remote wire and rodi line through the house to the sump.

Picture - left tank is ro, right is salt mix. Left side has a blue rodi line that's connected to a pump that pushes water to my sump.

PXL_20230614_184218862.jpg

jezzebelj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For smaller tanks, the Igloo water jerry can (6 gal) is on Amazon for 17 bucks. It’s tall and slender, so it uses space well.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you verify using the safe plastic logos. All plastics are not the same.

1000004989.jpg
PVC not recommended? We use a ton of PVC in the aquarium hobby.

I was considering making a DIY ATO reservoir using a 4 inch diameter PVC schedule 40 pipe. I vision it being the same height as the top of the aquarium to avoid accidental backup flooding. At that length, it would hold about 2.5 gallons. Right now I'm using a gravity fed 2 liter bottle which I refill every two days on my 24g AIO cube. The PVC pipe would hold about 9 liters, which means I could go a week or more without refilling it. With a stand to stabilize it, it could be painted gloss black, the same as the tank stand.

Any thoughts?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC not recommended? We use a ton of PVC in the aquarium hobby.

I was considering making a DIY ATO reservoir using a 4 inch diameter PVC schedule 40 pipe. I vision it being the same height as the top of the aquarium to avoid accidental backup flooding. At that length, it would hold about 2.5 gallons. Right now I'm using a gravity fed 2 liter bottle which I refill every two days on my 24g AIO cube. The PVC pipe would hold about 9 liters, which means I could go a week or more without refilling it. With a stand to stabilize it, it could be painted gloss black, the same as the tank stand.

Any thoughts?
I was actually thinking about this same exact thing yesterday. a wall paper adhesive might be better than paint. the only thing I was thinking on top of that is a way to easily tell how much water is in it. I was thinking 2 pvc ports near bottom and close to top with a clear tube that would indicate the level.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres some dog food containers and hiking/camping water containers that Ive been looking at on amazon. Dog food containers hold more but the hiking ones look perfect for a gravity ato (which is what I will be doing). Either option has a look that can be worked with and the price is about right.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres some dog food containers and hiking/camping water containers that Ive been looking at on amazon. Dog food containers hold more but the hiking ones look perfect for a gravity ato (which is what I will be doing). Either option has a look that can be worked with and the price is about right.
Not the most attractive but it’s 3 gallon camp water. I also have two 7.5 gallon ones I got from Cabela’s for $22 that I use for RO. They have a on/off nozzle that I can use with vinyl tubing to gravity flow from upstairs.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpeg
    IMG_1424.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 8

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the new ReefCan 40 for less than $100.

Less than by how much? A buck? 99 bucks for 10 1/2 gallons at the current pre sale orders. You can get a 46 gallon for 130 bucks. A lot depends on the size and space requirements but RV and boat water storage containers may be a better fit.

Mileage may vary of course for us all.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than by how much? A buck? 99 bucks for 10 1/2 gallons at the current pre sale orders. You can get a 46 gallon for 130 bucks. A lot depends on the size and space requirements but RV and boat water storage containers may be a better fit.

Mileage may vary of course for us all.
Yes $99 for 10.5 gallons and a form factor that’s made to keep inside the cabinet as it’s skinny and tall. Already has the custom caps for hosing and a tilted fill up spout.

This thread title is asking for something that isn’t a bucket and to keep it less than $200 while still being aesthetically pleasing.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes $99 for 10.5 gallons and a form factor that’s made to keep inside the cabinet as it’s skinny and tall. Already has the custom caps for hosing and a tilted fill up spout.

This thread title is asking for something that isn’t a bucket and to keep it less than $200 while still being aesthetically pleasing.

True. On the aesthetic part it would depend. Tucked away it doesn't come into play. In any case pros and cons for it. Too bad the price is a bit high on the RS part. Shave off 50% they would have had a great product and price that everyone regardless of brand would have used.

ATO
Trace elements
Kalk

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has reefcan's thats suposed to be out, which look interesting that you guys are asking for.

can.JPG

price listed is $99 for 10g.

Im pretty sure this is one red sea you wont have to worry about seams busting on you. :smirking-face:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure this is one red sea you wont have to worry about seams busting on you. :smirking-face:

That is what was discussed the past few posts. Priced too high though but that could be a personal opinion. 50% lower and they would have had a deal and everyone would have bought in. ATO, trace elements, kalk, etc.

In any case the busting part did make me giggle - that was well played.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That red sea one could be really cool, they have the right idea on the dimensions but that 22" long is gonna be a deal breaker for a lot of cabinets.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back