ATO Reservoir— Not a bucket but not $200?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Target straw Trash Can that had a plastic liner, just put it upside down over a Square 5 gallon Water Jug from Amazon. That’s until it got repurposed by a family member.

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2649.jpeg

10 gallon Aqueon is what I use.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Choice Acryli Made Liquid Storage Bucket Dosing Pump Reservoir Container (6.3 * 4.25 * 7.28 Inch;2500ml/2.5L) https://a.co/d/dJpvG6U

They have all kinds of sizes on Amazon
Biggest one is 1.18 gallons? Way too small for a standard top off reservoir. Even on my 20G I got through a 5G top off every couple of weeks.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you verify using the safe plastic logos. All plastics are not the same.

1000004989.jpg
I researched this extensively. I do understand "not all plastics are the same".

But feel free to take the time to research yourself...

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched this extensively. I do understand "not all plastics are the same".

But feel free to take the time to research yourself...
On the bottom of all plastic containers, they will have a marking that indicates what the plastic is that they used. It's done with a number inside of the recycle symbol. It tells you if.ylur plastic is food grade or not.

Lots of plastics leech out bad stuff. Some are processed and can leave residues.

Basically, be aware that all storage tubs are not made with food/reef safe plastics.

Ps I know you know this stuff. It was meant as a general comment in case somebody wanders in from a google search 2 years from now.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bottom of all plastic containers, they will have a marking that indicates what the plastic is that they used. It's done with a number inside of the recycle symbol. It tells you if.ylur plastic is food grade or not.

Lots of plastics leech out bad stuff. Some are processed and can leave residues.

Basically, be aware that all storage tubs are not made with food/reef safe plastics.

Ps I know you know this stuff. It was meant as a general comment in case somebody wanders in from a google search 2 years from now.
Good grief.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And I bet 2 years from now, Sterilite containers will still be safe.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes nothing,I had an idea. Mentioned it to my wife about my shark tank idea. She said “your kidding right?”.
Umm.. anyway here it is.

How about a nice vase, can even make a removable fake flower top with a little creativity. May not ideal in a bachelor pad, that would be an old beer keg with a liner.
Home goods or something place my mother in law goes may have ideas.

Here is where the thought originated from. If fake plastic plants are good enough for her then good enough for me lol

IMG_2022.jpeg
someone on here did that and it looked great. It was like a 36" high cylinder maybe 8" wide and they just made a top to keep dust out. It actually looked nice. Could probably find one at Michaels or Hobby Lobby etc...I think they wrapped or painted it black.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone on here did that and it looked great. It was like a 36" high cylinder maybe 8" wide and they just made a top to keep dust out. It actually looked nice. Could probably find one at Michaels or Hobby Lobby etc...I think they wrapped or painted it black.
Nice, glad to know I am not crazy. Some time ago I had to take my wife shopping. Found a nice wicker chest she liked that I could cut the back out of to put the chiller in. The things we do for domestic tranquility

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, glad to know I am not crazy. Some time ago I had to take my wife shopping. Found a nice wicker chest she liked that I could cut the back out of to put the chiller in. The things we do for domestic tranquility
yeah, I'll need to work on some type of wall cabinet or something so I can place the power strips in so I don't see them since I don't want them under the stand. I didn't want to see the ATO which will be in the stand but needed something to fit. Would have gotten the 15G IM but it looked too tight so went with the Bashsea 10g. Looks nice since the sump is already black.

You could always get one of those hide a cat litter cabinets for the garbage can ATO :zany-face:

Could even hide a sump in this

derenjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever think of an rv holding tank on stilts in the sump. I have a three gallon rectangular tank with legs so only about a half inch is in water with a simple float valve plumbed in. No electronics less than $50 all in….

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
As the title of the thread states, I would like to stop manually topping off my tank so I will be investing in an auto top off. I have had many and for whatever reason, have just been manually topping off my 110 system daily. I think I will be going with a Tunze but open to suggestions in the ATO arena.

Anyway, since this reservoir will be out in the open, I would prefer it to be somewhat elegant looking. Perhaps I could just use a black bucket but I am interested in something more on the lines of 10 gallons so I do not have to worry about refilling it every weekend.

I see some really nice options from Trigger Systems, Hmahli, and Royal Exclusiv. However these are all ridiculously expensive. I will pay $800 for a light but I truly draw the line at $300 for a black 10g acrylic box. What are some DIY options? I think there are some minimal looking. garbage cans out there but I want to see some ideas.

Cheers!!
I use a 10 gallon fish tank that's a good size to fit in my stand and fill easy. When I started I did a budget setup with a simple nano pump and float switch through a solenoid. Only problem I ever had with this is the float valve got snails stuck in it.

This is the ATO kit: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua...ID=853&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

This is the pump I still use today and even has a switch to cut off if ATO goes dry:

Later I upgraded to a controller with multiple optical sensors so I know the level in the sump and the rodi and it alerts me when it's out. I can make suggestions here also if you are interested.

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Luna Reef ATO 10.

I think you'll find it's a good balance between cost and something thay looks good enough you won't want to hide it.

I have the ATO5 and like it a lot. I'll get another for my next tank.

realwizer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 5 gallon bucket from a salt mix for a long time, placed under the tank in my stand.

Ended up wanting the space back for dosing reservoirs and got a Bashsea 5g reservoir which is much better priced that a lot of other brands.

The width was perfect to fit between the stand and a wall where the tank was located. I looked for lots of other narrow DIY solutions and couldn’t find one.

Added bonus, the Bashsea has a Neptune LLS slot which I use. Very happy with it and consider it worth the cost now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back