Attempt to DIY Amphipod breeding

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wait for my current batch of fish to finish treatment in my Hospital tank I'm getting bored. I was sitting here looking at the QT that I only use as an emergency/observation tank before transferring fish to another tank for treatment wondering what I can do with it since I keep it running 24/7/365 just in case. It's as basic as you can get, a 10gal tank ($1 per gal Petco tank sale) a Fluval 30 HOB filter, a small 100w preset heater and some PVC fittings.
I started looking around online to see if anyone has been successful breeding Amphipods and was disappointed in the few articles I found of people trying it without any updates on how it turned out. I will make every attempt to not let this be one of those trials.

Heres what I think I know:
Pods prefer relatively low flow areas (which is why they don't typically do well in high flow sump refugiums).
Pods tend to hide under rocks, in cracks and crevices where flow in minimal and food settles.
Pods will reproduce readily and are fairly hardy and can do well in less than ideal parameters.
Pods are quite nutritious and awesome for live fish food.

I saw some cool ideas that I'm going to try out. I like the idea of the mesh shower pouf as a sort of artificial Chaeto as well as the (possibly patented) "Pod trailer park" made out of plastic sign board that I may or may not have over designed. My plan is to get a starter culture and get them going. I'll wait about 45-60 days before harvesting any for the DT or Fuge. There are 2 reasons for this. One, I've read that pods need time to settle before readily breeding (unsure if this is fact). Two, because I QT everything that goes into my tank I want to be sure the water that the pods arrive in is free from common disease by being fallow for 6ish weeks. I also feel that if I'm culturing food for my fish that I will not cheap out on the food I feed the Pods. I bought some Cobalt Marine flakes a while back that my fish don't care for so I will use that for feeding not so finicky Amphipods every couple days.

I will get some pictures up shortly and update every couple weeks and I see any progression.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just amphipods or copepods as well?
I did put some Copepods in the tank also. I haven't had much luck getting them to breed in the past. I may give it another go later on but for now I'm concentrating on the Amphipods

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the overbuild "pod skyscraper" the material is pretty difficult to glue without being toxic so I used a soldering iron to "weld" the ends together. I siliconed a few frag plugs to the bottom for weight.
IMG_9490.JPG

$1 Mesh Shower Pouf with a piece of dried "live rock"
IMG_9488.JPG

Overall view of the tank before the skyscraper. The Powerhead is currently off to keep flow down and the tube in the front is drip acclimating the starter culture
IMG_9487.JPG

I've gotten a lot of pods from a lot of different places but I have to say this may be one of the nicest cultures I've seen. Thanks to FloridaPets. Even if they are weak in the email responses. The pods are nice and super active.
IMG_9486.JPG

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been at this? Would like to know how the flake is working . That's just about the same equipment I have on hand I'd love to do this but can't rely on myself to go into it much deeper.
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm sure to follow .

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been at this? Would like to know how the flake is working . That's just about the same equipment I have on hand I'd love to do this but can't rely on myself to go into it much deeper.
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm sure to follow .

I just started this process. Put the pods in 2 days ago. I will tell you that I put a tiny bit of the flake into the container as they were acclimating and they took to it like crazy!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will you harvest them? That is, how will you get them out of the pod skyscraper?

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will you harvest them? That is, how will you get them out of the pod skyscraper?

My initial plan is to leave the skyscraper alone altogether. When I am ready to harvest I'll shake one of the Poufs in a container of water and then strain it through a fine net back into the tank. If I alternate between poufs say every couple weeks I should always keep plenty of breeders. I also considered buying a small culture once or twice a year (or as needed) to keep the population fresh.

A quick check on the tank tonight with a flashlight showed that they are much more active when the lights are out vs during the day with ambient room lights on. Also I saw them already swimming in and out of the skyscraper so it's looking promising

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick check-in. It's been a week since the starter culture was put in the tank. Although I haven't seen massive population increase, I did't expect to yet. I do see a lot of movement (mostly at night) and the Skyscraper seems to be a hit as they are continuously swimming in and out of it.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick weekly update, Houston we have a problem!!!

Everything has been going great for the last week with lots of movement until Wednesday. I decided to add some Clean Chaeto from @AlgaeBarn so I picked up a small portion along with some pods and added it when they arrived. Looking back I should have probably rinsed it before putting it in but I trust AlgaeBarn completely as I have bought many things from them in the past without issue. They amphipods seem to explode when the ball hit the water. They were coming from everywhere, swimming like crazy and I assumed they sensed the addition and were excited to check it out. Fast forward to today and my tank is filled with dead amphipods.....not 100% mortality but I would venture to say 90%. There are still a few strong swimmers and a few just barely making an effort. I did a 50% water change and threw a polyfilter in the HOB yesterday hoping it may just be ammonia and that it would help but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. I may have killed them all... Thoughts?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reef Box,

You have a pretty awesome setup going. I'm not sure what may have killed the amphipods. I would recommend a quick rinse in the future (to minimize any shipping water that have any decay in it). Did you check the ammonia before the water change?

I have seen the expanded plastic (that you are using) be used for amphipods, I wish you luck. FYI, you are looking at about 4-6 months for massive cultures with standard amphipods.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef Box,

You have a pretty awesome setup going. I'm not sure what may have killed the amphipods. I would recommend a quick rinse in the future (to minimize any shipping water that have any decay in it). Did you check the ammonia before the water change?

I have seen the expanded plastic (that you are using) be used for amphipods, I wish you luck. FYI, you are looking at about 4-6 months for massive cultures with standard amphipods.

Thanks for the feedback. I did not check the ammonia before the WC only because once I realized that there may be an issue, I was more concerned about acting as quickly as possible. If I would have thought about it, I would have checked the water that I pulled out. As of last night I did see a few amphipods still swimming around so I’ll give it some more time to see if they repopulate without adding any more.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back