Aussie Gold Torch Value Purchase Price

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a matter of perspective at all. If it was, why not sell it for 1000000000000 since to some rich dude this would be like a penny to a homeless person.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not a matter of perspective at all. If it was, why not sell it for 1000000000000 since to some rich dude this would be like a penny to a homeless person.

I guess I disagree. I dont think you got my point (which wasnt that clear). I meant - lets say he was asking $40 for a head (which you I would assume would think is 'ok') - A person with no money to buy food would think the person selling the coral for $40 was ridiculous - its all a matter of perspective. You think $400 is too much. How about 350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100 etc - everyone has their own price they would pay - so of course its perspective. I.e. there is nothing ridiculous (to me) about someone selling that coral (trying to sell) for $400. If they get that much for it - they were smart - it wasnt ridiculous. My perspective is that its not worth that much.

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understood you but you don't understand what I'm saying and this is aggravating me a lot. Let me explain it in another way. Just because you have money and a 1000 dollar shirt seems cheap to a rich person doesn't mean it is actually justified to sell a shirt for 1000 dollars. So no, it is not a matter of perspective. It is a matter of "is xyz actually worth that much". I might be wrong and the financial ordeal involved in getting these corals shipped over here might actually justify that price and in that case, ignore my earlier statement.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know $400 for two heads of aussie gold seems to be the going rate right now, and if that is what people are willing to pay then how is it not justified? If the coral will sell at a higher price, why wouldn't the seller sell at that price? Seems just like a simple supply/demand thing to me..

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understood you but you don't understand what I'm saying and this is aggravating me a lot. Let me explain it in another way. Just because you have money and a 1000 dollar shirt seems cheap to a rich person doesn't mean it is actually justified to sell a shirt for 1000 dollars. So no, it is not a matter of perspective. It is a matter of "is xyz actually worth that much". I might be wrong and the financial ordeal involved in getting these corals shipped over here might actually justify that price and in that case, ignore my earlier statement.

An object’s value is determined by what someone will pay for it. If a designer is able to sell a shirt for $1,000, that’s what it’s worth. Same for gold torches, if there are buyers at that price, and no lower competitors selling, that’s what it’s worth.

This is generally how all market based pricing works. Sometimes the government regulates pricing/competition, or subsidizes certain markets, but that’s not the case here for this luxury good. Buy it or don’t, the market doesn’t care so long as demand is meeting supply.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Here is my (tongue in cheek comment). I do not think its fair that you spend money on aquaria when people probably in your own town are going hungry at night - probably children. Yet you have internet access (you're on this forum) - and a reef tank (presumably).

My Real comment is something is worth what a willing buyer and a willing seller will pay - nothing more nothing less. Take an art piece. The artist that made it (lets say Alexander Calder) - lets say a mobile spent $50 cutting metal, some metal rods, some spray paint. Go try to buy a calder mobile for less than 10,000,000...... Is that 'fair'? IDK. I dont mean this as a slam - but - if you don't think that Walmart, amazon, etc etc etc are not making 3x their money on every sale (unless its a loss leader) - you need to study economics a bit.

People want to make money. Lets say I take my green slimer and frag it and wait 6 months - and charge $100/colony - It cost me nothing...... Am I a bad person? Am I wrong?

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s funny how every retailer claims the Aussie gold is so rare and that this is the last time you will see it...blah blah blah importers are getting these in on the reg and just see a bump in demand and sky rocket the prices. Just look at aqua SD and living reef Orlando fresh imports (not aquacultured) and sky high prices

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it’s funny how every retailer claims the Aussie gold is so rare and that this is the last time you will see it...blah blah blah importers are getting these in on the reg and just see a bump in demand and sky rocket the prices. Just look at aqua SD and living reef Orlando fresh imports (not aquacultured) and sky high prices
I havent heard this. INDO torches have been rare. You can get Aussies for less. Research is a good thing

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent heard this. INDO torches have been rare. You can get Aussies for less. Research is a good thing
+1. There was a guy selling indo golds for 1500 and had aussie for like 300. Indos are more rare right now because of the ban. Aussie stuff is available, just usually slightly more expensive than say, Tonga corals.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They Aussie Gold Torches are Beautiful though... It's funny, the one on the left is Aussie, yet it has long stringy tentacles like the Indos. Here are mine:

IMG_4258.JPG IMG_4186.JPG

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They Aussie Gold Torches are Beautiful though... It's funny, the one on the left is Aussie, yet it has long stringy tentacles like the Indos. Here are mine:

IMG_4258.JPG IMG_4186.JPG

Orange filter? I have an app but the gold is not possible to photograph well with it. Your pops

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use the Poly Lab Filters. You almost have to, in order to get the colors to show... Yet I can tell you, that torch looks like that in person under blue lighting. Here is some of my others...

Dragon Soul on right Indo:

IMG_4126.JPG

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use the Poly Lab Filters. You almost have to, in order to get the colors to show... Yet I can tell you, that torch looks like that in person under blue lighting. Here is some of my others...

Dragon Soul on right Indo:

IMG_4126.JPG

Awesome. My Aussie gold looks striated.

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are in absolute love with the Aussie Gold Torch. Friend of ours has 4 separate heads and is willing to sell us 2. We want to know what is a fair price to spend per head on these from anybody that has purchased or seen pricing at your LFS.

Thanks,
Since this is not a store sale, I would offer $75 per head anything more that and you might as well go to the LFS and pay retail prices, in stores here in NYC they start at $100 bucks a head.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a friend. Just offer a price that you are willing to pay. If it were a true friend. It would be a nice gift. IDK. This is what my group of friends do. Someone purchases an expensive coral. We grow it. Split it. Gift it. Then grow it out again. If we ever have a tank crash. We have back ups.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is not a store sale, I would offer $75 per head anything more that and you might as well go to the LFS and pay retail prices, in stores here in NYC they start at $100 bucks a head.

Must be nice. Here in the Dallas area I haven't seen them for under $400/head recently. I've seen them for around $350 from the basement sellers.

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be nice. Here in the Dallas area I haven't seen them for under $400/head recently. I've seen them for around $350 from the basement sellers.
I've been to stores selling single aussie gold torch at 75 bucks a head. Since the indo ban , the indo price has skyrocketed , aussie stuff is everywhere so it's a buyer's market now. I got 2 1/2 aussie gold for 175. Funny b4 the ban aussie stuff was all the rage and indo was put to second class, now it's the other way around.

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to stores selling single aussie gold torch at 75 bucks a head. Since the indo ban , the indo price has skyrocketed , aussie stuff is everywhere so it's a buyer's market now. I got 2 1/2 aussie gold for 175. Funny b4 the ban aussie stuff was all the rage and indo was put to second class, now it's the other way around.

I'm close enough to NY to take a drive. What's this stores name? I have no stores in my area that carry nice pieces.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back