Votes: 398 59.5%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use an auto-feeder? If so, is it to supplement your feeding regimen or is it your primary source of feeding?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My auto feeder is called my neighbor:rolleyes::). I have a couple of furry friends, and along with the tank is just like the Ruthamatic feeder.

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Neptune installed but don't use it. Is just in case i cannot feed.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, mine is a dosing pump set up running through a mini fridge. I ran a line off my manifold into the side of the fridge and plumbed in 3 murloc t's and dose 3 kinds of reef nutrition refrigerated foods: mysis feast (3x per day), oyster feast (2x per day), and R.O.E. (1x per day).

The line discharges next to the return pump and them is distributed through the tank via the 4 locline return nozzles so the food is spread throughout the tank.

This is an older picture showing the premise of it. I'll post pictures of it later that show it completely finished
97c6281e4b655ea295f15ccb7f1d6111.jpg

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, mine is a dosing pump set up running through a mini fridge. I ran a line off my manifold into the side of the fridge and plumbed in 3 murloc t's and dose 3 kinds of reef nutrition refrigerated foods: mysis feast (3x per day), oyster feast (2x per day), and R.O.E. (1x per day).

The line discharges next to the return pump and them is distributed through the tank via the 4 locline return nozzles so the food is spread throughout the tank.

This is an older picture showing the premise of it. I'll post pictures of it later that show it completely finished
Very clever solution, would love to see more pictures.

Im trying to automate as much as possible.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to have something like that set up someday. For now, I've just got the Neptune AFS. It's just a lot easier to keep my tank fed with an irregular schedule and 4 kids.

This is an older picture showing the premise of it. I'll post pictures of it later that show it completely finished.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an apex feeder twice a day one time in the early afternoon and one time in the evening and I manually feed a frozen cude.

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using an auto feeder in the last month or so. I use to just use one on vacation. But I watched a video about Sanjays tanks and he was talking about how small fish stomachs where etc and that you can in theory feed more in smaller amounts several times a day and the fish will be able to digest more of food. Also I don't stress about if the fish got fed today etc...

My two clowns look fatter and I think the coral is growing with more nutrients.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an eheim auto-feeder set to feed a small amount of pellet food 4x a day. I have 3 bartlett's anthias in addition to a dozen or so other fish in my tank. The anthias are known to have better survivability rates when fed multiple times per day. I supplement the pellet food with a cube or two of frozen each day, as well.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here's some pictures I just took of the auto feeder fridge.
1b3b13fcc89f58d933fe46b2464735cf.jpg
40780f931a6ede1a92feb5211f788c33.jpg
80c6ef5173e81c0854ed6f74542624a2.jpg

What is keeping the manifold pressure from pushing water into the dosing containers? The peristaltic pumps themselves? Are you concerned with one of the dosing heads failing and draining your tank through your mini-fridge?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is keeping the manifold pressure from pushing water into the dosing containers? The peristaltic pumps themselves? Are you concerned with one of the dosing heads failing and draining your tank through your mini-fridge?

So the dosing pump heads and the path of least resistance is what keeps it from back flowing. Can't use check valves with the chunky food. The feed is 1/2 inch vinyl tube to 1/2 inch pvc and the food goes in through the 1/4 inch murloc. There's no restriction on the flow out of the feed, so the water naturally wants to continue through the larger diameter tube rather than forcing up the 90 degree t's to the smaller tube. Fluid dynamics is my worst enemy, but sometimes works in my favor.

I suppose that a head failure could potentially cause a drainage, but I think the rate of back flow would be pretty slow given the diameter of the tube. It's fed off the manifold, which runs the feed to the fuge, frag, and double sump stack which is a slow feed anyways and then it's dialed back from there by a valve before the fridge. The amount of pressure should be pretty minimal by the way I designed it and I wouldn't expect much backflow.

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the idea

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do basically the exact same thing but with beefier pumps and home made food- I can't handle the reef nutrition prices

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the @smarterreefs Reefsicle frozen food autofeeder. Looking forward to trying this solution for many reasons.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use an auto-feeder? If so, is it to supplement your feeding regimen or is it your primary source of feeding?
No I don't. I thought I would loose all the fun by leaving it to a machine. I mean soon we will have machines doing everything for us!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back