Auto water change. Which pump?

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to setup an auto water change with dosing pumps. I want to use Neptune systems or GHL and I’m leaning toward Neptune, but the cost is very high. I was just wondering the thoughts of other reefers in the community??? And maybe what setups others are using?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to setup an auto water change with dosing pumps. I want to use Neptune systems or GHL and I’m leaning toward Neptune, but the cost is very high. I was just wondering the thoughts of other reefers in the community??? And maybe what setups others are using?

I currently have the Neptune. I have used the GHL Profilix in the past.

From the Profilux platform when I was using it (5+ years ago), it can do far more (you can program it with virtually any logic); you just need to know how to code at a level that's slightly more advanced than what I knew, or was willing to learn.

The Neptune is an awesome piece of equipment as well. Apex has made a huge effort to make the programming of your devices as easy as possible by allowing you to almost select choices the program gives you, the unit writes the code for your desired selections. You can also write custom code in the APEX, but I feel like its done a lot less compared to the Profilux.

I don't think either is cheap, both are an investment. Both can also do more than what you will ever use it for. I would suggest going on Youtube and look at videos of both platforms and select the best fit for your budget, and also your programming skill.

One thing I will note, GHL is a German manufacture, and parts were slightly harder to come by as only select vendors carried and distributed for them.

Profilux Water Change:

Apex Water change:

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say, go with Neptune. That is the one I am going with. It is more user friendly and easier to work. I think at this point where GHL is you will be better off with Neptune. Now some years down the road it might be different but if your getting one right now I would tell you to get the Apex. Good luck and I hope you enjoy which ever you get.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just set up the Neptune Dos a few days ago for the sole purpose of AWC’s. I’m really happy with it so far. It is really easy to set up. I’m pretty new with the entire Apex platform (recently moved over from Digital Aquatics), and it was no big deal for me to set up. It is a little noisy, but I have it setup near my basement sump, so no big deal for me. Otherwise, I’d be sure to have it perform AWC’s in the middle of the night when no one is in the living room where my tank is. It has been working flawlessly so far. Each night it pumps 2 gallons of water out of the sump into a drain pipe and pumps 2 gallons into the sump from a 32 gallon brute trash can. However, I hear only good things about GHL’s line of products, so I don’t think you could go wrong either way.

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering one of these guys. I have been using their smart micro ato for a year or two now and like it. For the price it is an ato as well. It's quite clever and my ato has been great.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-water-changer-autoaqua.html

I actually have one of these myself and have been using it for about 3 weeks now. It is absolutely as simple as you can get. I actually had to pick up a more powerful pump for my tank to drain though. 7ft straight up to drain was a bit much for the tiny pumps so I picked up a tunze pump on amazon for 20 bucks.

But yes you can schedule it out to do the water change every day and set the speed of the pumps so that the water change goes nice and slow. If you don't like the auto feature it also has the manual feature in which everyday when you walk by your tank you can just press 1 button and your water change is done.

For the price and the simplicity it really is an awesome buy. Comes with siphon breaks and clamps for your containers to hold the hosing in. I eventually picked up a check valve for my draining pump but pretty awesome for the amount of savings from buying this thing.

Currently doing about 3-4 gallons water change every day over a 4 hour period. If I turned the speed up it would be done in 15 minutes, but nothing comes fast in this hobby so why should my water!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched for sometime and finally went with the Neptune DOS. As stated above I am very happy with my choice now.

The reason is stated happy now is because of the noise/vibration and clicking of the heads.

For the noise/vibration when mounted on a wall or a board the vibration is loud and is increased by mounting the DOS to a hard surface. My fix was to cut rubber erasers and screw through the board then erasers then to the wall. This really quited the vibration down a lot.

As far as the clicking, I went to the Neptune's forum page and found my answer there were some used silicone grease and lubricate the head plastic were they connect to the unit and also the back of the nylon that connects to the gear on the main unit. This is a good fix for the clicking

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back