Automated Reefing: How "automated" are you?

How automated is your current saltwater reef aquarium?

• Almost Fully Automated

Votes: 210 26.6%
  • Somewhat Automated

Votes: 254 32.2%
  • Very Little Automated

Votes: 223 28.2%
  • Not Automated At All

Votes: 103 13.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen over the years how reefers will wax and wane when it comes to how automated their reef aquariums are. Sometimes life requires the most automation as possible but then something changes and there isn't quite the need and vise-versa. What about for you? Let's talk about it!

How automated is your current saltwater reef aquarium and why is that so?

image via @keywestreefer
IMG_1777.jpg

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 systems with ATO, Auto Dose with GHL, test with Tridents Also have all the gear I need to setup AWC waiting for me to install.
Now if I could figure out how to Automaticly mix salt I would be set!

Edit: forgot about lights and also have auto feeders for daytime feeding..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Love controllers
It’s like having a butler at home to turn off UV unit in the morning, turn my lights on and off, monitor my numbers, add water to the tank if needed, feed the fish while at work and the list goes on

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO
AWC
Mobius lights and pumps
Kamoer Dosing
my AI lights and pumps

4G for internet -
So does that make me as automated as I can be, but still enjoying the manual every minute I can get away?!

oh, and a GenVac whole house - maybe the most important part

Last edited:

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say I am mostly automated because almost everything is on a controlled circuit through my controller. But other than dosing, heater, ato and lights all I do is use the controller to shut stuff off when I do water changes/ maintenance.

edit: I forgot that I do turn on extra cooling fans on top of the tank if the temp goes up to much through the controller. I also used to shut my UV off when temp got to high. I no longer run my UV though. If I needed I could program my lights to shutoff based on high temp but haven' had the need.

Last edited:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost fully automated. Been using Control4 home automation for about 10 years, just recently added Apex and Trident from Neptune. The automation from Control4 Home Automation is limitless.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of my Apex and use it both for convenience of automation as well as safety of my reef and home. Here are some of the things my Apex does for me:

• Detect power outages to shut down non-critical devices to prolong power on my battery backup
  • Control dual heaters in my sump, and a heater in my saltwater mixing station
  • Control lighting schedules including lunar schedules
  • Adjust my Gyre for different flow rates throughout the day and night
  • Test Alk, Cal, and Mag and produce graphs over time
  • Control 2-part dosing and automatically adjust based on test results
  • Monitor water flow rate through my carbon reactor, as well as return pipe
  • Turn off my UV sterilizer when water flow goes below 250 gallons/hour
  • Shut off the skimmer when the Avast skimmate locker is full and send me an alert
  • Clean the skimmer neck every 6 hours with the Avast Swabbie
  • Control auto feeder when I'm away from home
  • Shut down pumps and send an alert if a leak is detected in my sump cabinet or the carpet below my tank
  • Daily automatic water changes
  • Remote ATO pump in my garage mixing station feeds water to my tank in the living room
  • Alert me when RO/DI tank is low, or too full
  • Alert me when saltwater storage tank is too low, and shut down auto water change until full
  • Turn on a cooling fan when temps are too high in summer
  • All alerts are sent to both email and text message
I explain much of this automation in my series of Apex tutorials:

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a big fan of my Apex and use it both for convenience of automation as well as safety of my reef and home. Here are some of the things my Apex does for me:

• Detect power outages to shut down non-critical devices to prolong power on my battery backup
  • Shut off the skimmer when the Avast skimmate locker is full and send me an alert
  • Shut down pumps and send an alert if a leak is detected in my sump cabinet or the carpet below my tank
  • Remote ATO pump in my garage mixing station feeds water to my tank in the living room
  • Alert me when saltwater storage tank is too low, and shut down auto water change until full
You’re the amazing poster child for automation and I love it!!!!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only automation in my tank (so far) are for things like the heater and pumps. They're on a smart plug so I can turn them on/off via my phone instead of crawling on the floor to unplug them. I tell ya, I'm living the dream!! LOL The fish still get the pleasure of my hand in the tank for feedings and maintenance. Fortunately there are no human flesh eaters in there (yet). :)

NL.Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is absolutely crazy! Im considering a apex or ghl or mastertronic

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Think I should fly you in to get all that working right on mine. Neptune/BRS should be paying you!

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only automation in my tank (so far) are for things like the heater and pumps. They're on a smart plug so I can turn them on/off via my phone instead of crawling on the floor to unplug them. I tell ya, I'm living the dream!! LOL The fish still get the pleasure of my hand in the tank for feedings and maintenance. Fortunately there are no human flesh eaters in there (yet). :)

Is there a particular brand of smart plugs you use? I’ve been trying to find a reputable/solid one to use, and I think they are a great idea for budget friendly convenience. I’d been looking at the Kasa (I think) smart plug on Amazon because it has an app and says it monitors power consumption. It isn’t too much money and I’ve had it in my “cart” for a few weeks, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. It seems like the only real option, because I haven’t heard any other brands mentioned anywhere!

And unfortunately, my clownfish are just plain mean and have acquired the taste of human flesh lol. Crazy how much two aggressive clowns “scare” me and have made me hate having to do anything on their side of the tank haha.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO's, auto-feeders, and timed lights on all three tanks. Apex also does timed dosing and feeding cycles on wavemakers on my main tank. Bluetooth doser on my office tank along with a Nero5 doing feeding cycle. No other automation on my wife's classroom tank (and it's the one struggling the most right now).

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a particular brand of smart plugs you use? I’ve been trying to find a reputable/solid one to use, and I think they are a great idea for budget friendly convenience. I’d been looking at the Kasa (I think) smart plug on Amazon because it has an app and says it monitors power consumption. It isn’t too much money and I’ve had it in my “cart” for a few weeks, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. It seems like the only real option, because I haven’t heard any other brands mentioned anywhere!

And unfortunately, my clownfish are just plain mean and have acquired the taste of human flesh lol. Crazy how much two aggressive clowns “scare” me and have made me hate having to do anything on their side of the tank haha.
+1 for Kasa smart plugs!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back