Automated testing... Need some opinions please!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With my Mindstream basically becoming a paper weight, I've really been thinking a lot about getting another automated tester. I'm looking at either the Neptune Trident (since I run a full Apex controlled system), a Reefbot (I love that I can test the big 3 and PO4 automatically with it), or the eXact iDip system (I know it's not automated, but it's digital, super easy to use, and also includes tests for big 3 and PO4...and it's much less expensive than an automated tester). So...which one do you guys recommend? Help me weigh these options out please!

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have no experience with any automated testers but I have heard good reviews for both systems. I really like the idea of testing no3 and po4 with the reef bot. It might help to know what kind of corals and animals you are keeping If it's an SPS heavy tank the trident might help a little n that situation. just my own.02
Maybe some other people can chime in and help you as well.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ASPIRE to keep an SPS dominant tank... we'll see if I'm successful or not... :cool::D

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want a sps heavy tank, and will be dosing, and are already in the apex ecosystem, then i think the trident/dos combo is almost a no brainer.
maybe add the idip as a sanity check to make sure everything's OK occasionally.

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned the very premature and frustrating reefbot and bought a trident. never been happier. the once weekly po4 and no3 test is fun and rewarding again when I'm not having to test alk. cal or mag.

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from the reefbot, I just got one last week and this should be taken of the shelfs and go back to the lab. Its not ready, its still beta at best. I am currently fighting to get a full refund and I will be going with the trident instead.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know somebody who has a reefbot they hate it. It’s mixing pills fail to spin. The testing isn’t accurate because of the test kits that are used are terrible. (API).

If I had Apex, I would go trident.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself will be holding out on any automated testing for now. It doesn't kill me to test my water every other day for now. Mindstream was looking promising, but that's down the tubes now. Reefbot never caught my attention since it looks clunky, and uses API. Ill be waiting for the Trident 4.0 to come out as I am sure they might be working on a new unit already that will additionally test No3, and Po4.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know somebody who has a reefbot they hate it. It’s mixing pills fail to spin. The testing isn’t accurate because of the test kits that are used are terrible. (API).

If I had Apex, I would go trident.
I thought you could use Red Sea with the Reefbot?

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you could use Red Sea with the Reefbot?
SalifertKH/Alkalinity Pro Test
RedSeaKH/Alkalinity Pro, Magnesium Pro, Calcium (beta), Phosphate Pro Tests
ElosKH Wateranalysis, Cu Wateranalysis, NO2 Wateranalysis
Giesmann AquaristicMagnesium Professional, Phosphate Tests, Ammonia Test Professional, KH Test Professional, Iodine Professional
Tropic MarinNitrate Pro, Nitrite Pro
Fauna MarinAquaHome Nitrate, AquaHome Nitrite, AquaHome Phosphate
APICalcium, Alkalinity, Phosphate, Ammonia, Nitrate Tests

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ill be waiting for the Trident 4.0 to come out as I am sure they might be working on a new unit already that will additionally test No3, and Po4.
THAT would be awesome!

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Reefbot... I just got one. I paid $600 for it used. I’ve been using it for 2 weeks and here are my initial observations:

The good:
  1. You can do 4 tests: Calcium (API - yes it’s accurate enough), Red Sea P04, Red Sea Alk, and Tropic Marin N03. I think this is the best set you can find. There are only 8 spots for reagents and 5 tests won’t fit. However, they are working on new ways to accomplish this.
  2. You can test as often or infrequently as you like (you can really save $ on reagents!).
  3. You can change what you test if you want to try something different.
  4. Their customer service has been responsive to me.
  5. They are planning to come out with larger jars (40ML) as well as potentially single reagent tests (to be confirmed).

The bad:
  1. You cannot test the big 3 along with Nitrate and Phostphate (but you could swap jars out quickly and reset the configuration With ease).
  2. It’s fairly slow 1hr+ per test.
  3. The Red Sea Alk is only accurate to .3 DKH (Trident says .05).
  4. Plan to spend time calibrating.
  5. I’ve found that the Red Sea Phosphate does not read well below .03 so I find that to not be as valuable as I was hoping. I plan to stay around .02 to .04, but it always reads 0.

Last edited:

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of it is amazing, that's why I purchased one, testing all tests and you being able to choose which tests, but if its not accurate its useless right. I tested a brand new batch of salt water, (I have a 7 stage RODI I am always at 0 TDS) it came back with 0.2 phosphates and 1ppm of nitrates.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reefbot and the trident and the kh director. Will be getting the ion-D also haha. Now bear with me as I know it’s overkill. I like to test products out and have found the trident and kh director my go to. Kh director gives me more info on alkalinity consumption throughout the day and is cheaper for me to run in that configuration since I make my own reagent. Trident has been working very nicely also and I run the bare minimum testing for it. It gives me a nice double check of alkalinity in case one of them is off. The reefbot I kept for NO3 and PO4 (they just added iodine also). The big caveat with the reefbot I feel is you really have to take into account how many tests it runs because overtime, it will affect your salinity. Since that entails too much math for me, I do not really use it as much. I do like it, but it is also loud. I found myself double checking it’s results and after recalibrating, got it to work pretty accurately as the test kit it’s using can get. Just my experience with the testers so far. Reason why I want the ion-D is for the added monitoring of NO3, K, and Na. I do not want to run the reefbot to test more than once a week because it’ll be a game of fixing s.g. constantly and the different tests use a different amount of tank water so unless I calculate each one, it’s kind of a guessing game.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself will be holding out on any automated testing for now. It doesn't kill me to test my water every other day for now. Mindstream was looking promising, but that's down the tubes now. Reefbot never caught my attention since it looks clunky, and uses API. Ill be waiting for the Trident 4.0 to come out as I am sure they might be working on a new unit already that will additionally test No3, and Po4.
Is this for real? Where did you hear this? Does it require a hardware upgrade and you will need a completely brand new unit? Or just a simple add on and software upgrade?

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for real? Where did you hear this? Does it require a hardware upgrade and you will need a completely brand new unit? Or just a simple add on and software upgrade?
NO, ITS NOT REAL.

I guess I am forward thinking on this product!

They saw the success of this product at release just by how many d-bags were buying them and reselling them for 2-3 times the actual cost. So I am sure that once they released the original test gangster, they already have R&D working on the next rendition of the Trident that will test more.

Last edited:

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a ReefBot and I love it.
You have to have reasonable expectations. It is accurate! it's more accurate than I am.
Keep in mind that it uses the same test kits that you would use by hand but takes the human error out of the equation. They are always working on new tests and different manufacturers reagents to work with the ReefBot.
The readings are as accurate as the test kits you use allow.

You can test as much or as little as you want to. You can test on demand, once an hour, once a day, once a week, once a month or once a year. It's up to you.

It is slow. It is fairly loud. It is large and bulky and it does use more water than I would like it to.
Having said that, I run tests at about 3am and 11am and I only test 3x a week unless something is wrong that requires me to test more often.

I also have Apex Trident. That is going on the 180g new build.
Who knows. I might have both on the new build and be able to test just about everything relevant all on automation .

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my Mindstream basically becoming a paper weight, I've really been thinking a lot about getting another automated tester. I'm looking at either the Neptune Trident (since I run a full Apex controlled system), a Reefbot (I love that I can test the big 3 and PO4 automatically with it), or the eXact iDip system (I know it's not automated, but it's digital, super easy to use, and also includes tests for big 3 and PO4...and it's much less expensive than an automated tester). So...which one do you guys recommend? Help me weigh these options out please!
I have the trident and love it but worry about it’s long term survival based on postings. I am looking at ION and KH director from GHL. Made in Germany, look bullet proof, and doesn’t use reagent for tests except Alk. Still a bit early to pull trigger but it looks outstanding and could be the industry standard someday. It’s only draw back is to fully control and dos will cost you over 2000 dollars.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back