Automated testing... Need some opinions please!!

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’ve never owned any of this fancy stuff, would the main difference between the Neptune/trident vs the reefbot be that the trident gives you less tests, but you can program to dose to keep consistent with those tests vs reefbot that tests more but you can’t dose automatically off of those results?

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the reefbot 8 months now. I bought it since I wanted to spend more time looking at my aquarium and enjoying it than messing around testing, changing water etc....
Well, it basically does what it should but, maybe I've been unlucky...
The machine had to be changed after 4 months due to consistent problems: mechanical, testing and programing. The new one isn't much better. I have to regularly open it up and reburn the software onto sd card, resetting system. The brands of tests are limited and some simply don't work. For example redsea Ca beta only works for 2 weeks. Others have problems of viscosity and mixing and give false results.
Added to that, the machine is bulky and noisy.
Reef Kinetics have been great and I can't speak highly enough of their support. That said, for a 1400 dollar machine, I really didn't expect soooo many problems...
Just FYI if it helps:
I had that SD card problem repeatedly also. They sent me a brand new one eventually, and no problems since.
Only bad results I have had were when the little magnet hopped out of the black mixing vial.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever happened to the new one that uses ION probes? Abex, Xepta AutoBalance Anything?

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me at the moment to me there is only one to be had when it comes out soon and that is the new Mastertronic when it comes to out it will test phosphate, nitrate, calcium,d magnesium, PAR?, and something that they calling OLI. This is totally stand alone unit but is extendable to the Alkatronic, Dosetronic and also the future Powertronic which will help you control your phosphate and nitrate. This is all hobby changing stuff and coming from a trusted supplier that treats all customers with high regard no matter where in the world they live.

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me at the moment to me there is only one to be had when it comes out soon and that is the new Mastertronic when it comes to out it will test phosphate, nitrate, calcium,d magnesium, PAR?, and something that they calling OLI. This is totally stand alone unit but is extendable to the Alkatronic, Dosetronic and also the future Powertronic which will help you control your phosphate and nitrate. This is all hobby changing stuff and coming from a trusted supplier that treats all customers with high regard no matter where in the world they live.
Actually there is also ION and KH director by GHL that measure the same items and it’s out in March. It looks really good and is also stand alone

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually there is also ION and KH director by GHL that measure the same items and it’s out in March. It looks really good and is also stand alone
The problem with this solution is it still uses reagent. The future is to get away from reagent IMO like the GHL ( except Alk). The big drawback to the GHL is the cost

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And does it have the ability to help control phosphate and nitrate automatically via the add on like the Mastertronic will have, this is where testers also become controllers and ensure that we are providing the best possible environment for our reef inhabitants with stability. Then there's what are you going to do with raising phosphates if for example you are away working for 4 weeks or like me and having a bad couple of days and can't even get out of bed never mind push the wheelchair about or even on holiday.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t noticed any mention since OP of the iDip. The iDIp is great! Really mitigates human error. Also gives you tremendous flexibility to test other parameters like many trace elements, copper, ozone (if you ever choose to run it) and they are working on more. The value of regular hands of alk testing especially with an sps dominant system is valuable.

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And does it have the ability to help control phosphate and nitrate automatically via the add on like the Mastertronic will have, this is where testers also become controllers and ensure that we are providing the best possible environment for our reef inhabitants with stability. Then there's what are you going to do with raising phosphates if for example you are away working for 4 weeks or like me and having a bad couple of days and can't even get out of bed never mind push the wheelchair about or even on holiday.
It certainly can. Again not cheap but if you buy everything it will control everything. To control everything it needs 12 dosing pumps which I agree is crazy. 4 to control Alk ( water in, reagent in, water out, dosing tank) and 8 for the rest ( 4 for testing and 4 for dosing).

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the KH Director from GHL for testing and automated adjustment and it's excellent. I have the ION Director on pre-order and can't wait. Get Phosphate measured in the same way if at all possible and we are there. The information provided is very useful beyond the obvious control and automation of the measured levels.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the trident.
As much as I want to love it... I really don’t. Sure it’s a great thing to have when I’m away. But when I’m home, it’s a dang paper weight. Plus, I’m tired of going on a scavenger hunt for trident reagents . It tests good and is very precise but I’m just underwhelmed. Reagents are pretty expensive compared to manual testing. I’ve never gone through $45 in reagents within a 6 month period. The trident burns through that in two months. And good luck getting your hands on the 6 month reagent kit. I haven’t seen them anywhere since the trident came out. I was on a waiting list August 2018 to get mine. I love all the apex stuff, I just don’t love the trident as much as I want to. Sure people are amazed with it but it’s just eh to me. I’m thinking about selling my entire setup and starting fresh. The ghl ion director might be worth looking into. No reagents with ghl.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And full disclosure, I’m by no means a ghl fan or sponsor. I love my apex stuff. I’d love it more without the reagent scavenger hunts ;Hilarious

C84C31F6-8942-4019-BB0D-71911D6C5C53.jpeg

PBishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my Mindstream basically becoming a paper weight, I've really been thinking a lot about getting another automated tester. I'm looking at either the Neptune Trident (since I run a full Apex controlled system), a Reefbot (I love that I can test the big 3 and PO4 automatically with it), or the eXact iDip system (I know it's not automated, but it's digital, super easy to use, and also includes tests for big 3 and PO4...and it's much less expensive than an automated tester). So...which one do you guys recommend? Help me weigh these options out please!

My two cents...

When I am comparing two similar products, I always research day one support. What happens when I need help.

The biggest difference between the ReefBot and the Trident is censorship when it comes to getting help and providing feedback.

With the Trident, you can ask for help and get help from here, support channel, their own Facebook group, and their own message board. At no time, will anyone delete any negative posts or reviews. Terence and the team will challenge the post if needed and answer any questions. If there is an issue, they will admit it.

I'm not going to link to anything. You go and find the ReefBot Facebook group. I challenge you to find one negative review of the product or someone complaining about it. You would think this company has built the perfect product.

Now, I know at some point the creator of the ReefBot will chime and in and I will tell you what he will say. "I don’t delete anything unless it’s offensive to others or advertising". I have seen with my own two eyes posts from people begging for help out of desperation. Within a few minutes to an hour, the post simply disappears.

At the end of the day it's your own hard earned money you are spending. For me, day one support is 33% of the consideration when purchasing anything.

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents...

When I am comparing two similar products, I always research day one support. What happens when I need help.

The biggest difference between the ReefBot and the Trident is censorship when it comes to getting help and providing feedback.

With the Trident, you can ask for help and get help from here, support channel, their own Facebook group, and their own message board. At no time, will anyone delete any negative posts or reviews. Terence and the team will challenge the post if needed and answer any questions. If there is an issue, they will admit it.

I'm not going to link to anything. You go and find the ReefBot Facebook group. I challenge you to find one negative review of the product or someone complaining about it. You would think this company has built the perfect product.

Now, I know at some point the creator of the ReefBot will chime and in and I will tell you what he will say. "I don’t delete anything unless it’s offensive to others or advertising". I have seen with my own two eyes posts from people begging for help out of desperation. Within a few minutes to an hour, the post simply disappears.

At the end of the day it's your own hard earned money you are spending. For me, day one support is 33% of the consideration when purchasing anything.
Just to add some balancing info: I have had great success with my Reefbot and every time I ask for help, I am responded to very quickly (even at late hours and weekends). I use their dedicated support email and not a Facebook group. Perhaps the Facebook group is a poor choice to find actual technical support from the company. I would think a Facebook group would be used like this forum; as a place for the crowd to post experiences and offer unofficial help.

In addition, I have had very frustrating experiences with Neptune technical support on almost every occasion. It seems they do not actual read your support requests, and instead, look for a key word and then just email you back a generic response aimed at noobs. Even though I take the time to gather all the info they could need, and explain the situation carefully and in detail, the technical support people at Neptune tend to gloss over everything I mention and give me a non-answer. It isn't until I send a third or fourth email that I finally get a response that I should have got at the beginning.

I have often thought that Neptune Systems does not have enough competition (in as far as a complete replacement) and as such, they don't need to care as much since they already have your money.

Last edited:

PBishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add some balancing info: I have had great success with my Reefbot and every time I ask for help, I am responded to very quickly (even at late hours and weekends). I use their dedicated support email and not a Facebook group. Perhaps the Facebook group is a poor choice to find actual technical support from the company. I would think a Facebook group would be used like this forum; as a place for the crowd to post experiences and offer unofficial help.

In addition, I have had very frustrating experiences with Neptune technical support on almost every occasion. It seems they do not actual read your support requests, and instead, look for a key word and then just email you back a generic response aimed at noobs. Even though I take the time to gather all the info they could need, and explain the situation carefully and in detail, the technical support people at Neptune tend to gloss over everything I mention and give me a non-answer. It isn't until I send a third or fourth email that I finally get a response that I should have got at the beginning.

I have often through that Neptune Systems does not have enough competition (in as far as a complete replacement) and as such, they don't need to care as much since they already have your money.

I respect your opinion. Own Neptune Apex with almost every accessory and my experience with support has been different. I do agree that a Facebook group is not the best choice to get support. Sometimes, out frustration, you post something and hope someone can chime in and lend you a hand. So someone can have empathy and tell you it's going to be okay.

My main point to the question was to emphasize censorship by the creators of ReefBot. Allow the good and the bad. Show that you are not afraid to allow negative posts and comments.

Owners out of desperation have been forced to create their own Facebook group so they can discuss issues, questions, concerns without fear. That's not right. They should have not been forced to do that.

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to chime in also about Neptune. I personally have never seen a vendor more responsive and care more about resolving an issue. There are certainly changes I would love to see, mostly dealing with notifications, but in terms of responds to issue they are the best. Even weekends.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m intimidated not only by the prices of these things but also by the complexity of them. I would love an Apex system, but also have looked into the idip.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Neptune customer service is outstanding. Purchase their products with confidence that someone will always be there to work through any issue you will ever have.

This has always been my experience with them.

Another thing I would like to address - the complaint of the Trident being made out of flimsy plastic and having a “toy like” feel to it. I thought the same thing about the DOS when I purchased it almost 5 years ago. It has the same plastic as the Trident and kind of looks like a toy - IT’S NOT.

I have been running auto water changes for almost 5 years with absolutely zero issues. Every ten minutes for almost 5 years, no problems!

So those of you weary of the “toy like” feel or plastic, it is a none issue. What matters is what’s inside and the functionality.

You could have these made out of steel with a powder coat on them but if the internal components are garbage, it means nothing.

PBishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m intimidated not only by the prices of these things but also by the complexity of them. I would love an Apex system, but also have looked into the idip.

In regards to the Apex, it's not the easiest but it is getting easier. Tasks, which is a feature of Apex Fusion, has dramatically made things easier.

Coral Reef Keepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trident and I do like it a lot. It saves me a bunch of time on testing. Now all I test manually is NO3 once a week and P04 3 times a week. I do test Alk every couple of weeks with my Hannah just to make sure the Trident is still on point. I can readily get the reagents from my LFS so that's a plus! My only complaint about the Trident is that for a $600 piece of equipment it feels very cheaply put together. My kids have toys that are better built than the Trident lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back