Automated testing... Need some opinions please!!

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my Mindstream basically becoming a paper weight, I've really been thinking a lot about getting another automated tester. I'm looking at either the Neptune Trident (since I run a full Apex controlled system), a Reefbot (I love that I can test the big 3 and PO4 automatically with it), or the eXact iDip system (I know it's not automated, but it's digital, super easy to use, and also includes tests for big 3 and PO4...and it's much less expensive than an automated tester). So...which one do you guys recommend? Help me weigh these options out please!
What's wrong with the mindstream??

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefbot. Pretty early adopter.
As an avid DIY type, I really like it.
The tests are as accurate as when done by hand, assuming same kit.
And since I procrastinate, it is WAY better than when I (don't) test.

FAR cheaper to run long term. Reagents are on Amazon/BRS, and you can test
as little as you want.

Uses a lot of water, RODI + tank + Waste.

If I was not a DIY techie type, I would probably dislike it.
For example, I had to install a new flash chip, and put a new image on it.
App is confusing.

Popkorn0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Trident.

I was testhing kh 1time/day cal and mag 1time/2day phosphate nitrate 1/week and put all result in Exel do give me graphic of my tank. That Neptune Trident is just perfect for me no more worry great graphic and if something wrong you know it fast enought to ajust in time. Now than i have it i will never be reef whitout for real that will be the first thing i buy, than i buy a tank. Stable is the key of a good healty reef and we play whit a non stable ecosystem so this automatic testhing system is a must for me.

Spuzio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot in the dark to see if anyone interested in selling their reefbot.

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the Reefbot and the Trident. I've had the Reefbot for a year. It's fantastic. More flexible than the Trident in terms of testing frequency and types of tests. The vials need to be filled s little too frequently and the tests take a long time to run but that doesn't matter since you set it on a schedule and forget it.

The Trident is much more accurate and specific to the big three. A different beast.

Ultimately, the best option is both, if you can afford it. With both, you can test Alk, Cal, Mg, Ammonia (Geisemann), Nitrite (Tropic Marin), Nitrate (Tropic Marin), and Phosphate (Red Sea) all automatically. Throw in an ICB Test (Triton , etc) every two to three months, and you have all your bases covered.

If you could only have one, I recommend the Reefbot with the following tests (ALK with Red Sea, Cal with API, Nitrite and Nitrate with Tropic Marin, and Phosphate with Red Sea.) Then run an ICB Test every month or two or three to check everything else.

Will-Yum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen to many negative reviews on the Reefbot to dive into it. Most of the reviews I've read are from FB groups.
I'm not a fan of Trident because it relies on the Apex to be used. I would prefer for the money for it to be a standalone unit.
I am a huge fan of the Alkatronic and because of that I am waiting for the Mastertronic to come out. Which should be soon but they're not releasing prematurely.
I was going to buy Mindstream too and thought it would be worth the $40 a month to know the parameters all the time.
I was thinking that if I bought the $30 ICP test that ships to Colorado. I could do that once a month and would still be cheaper than what Mindstreams monthly cost was.

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen to many negative reviews on the Reefbot to dive into it. Most of the reviews I've read are from FB groups.
I'm not a fan of Trident because it relies on the Apex to be used. I would prefer for the money for it to be a standalone unit.
I am a huge fan of the Alkatronic and because of that I am waiting for the Mastertronic to come out. Which should be soon but they're not releasing prematurely.
I was going to buy Mindstream too and thought it would be worth the $40 a month to know the parameters all the time.
I was thinking that if I bought the $30 ICP test that ships to Colorado. I could do that once a month and would still be cheaper than what Mindstreams monthly cost was.
I’m interested to see the mastertronic capabilities. I’ve never used any auto testing equipment but I’ve heard good things about the alkatronic

RoyinSpain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my Mindstream basically becoming a paper weight, I've really been thinking a lot about getting another automated tester. I'm looking at either the Neptune Trident (since I run a full Apex controlled system), a Reefbot (I love that I can test the big 3 and PO4 automatically with it), or the eXact iDip system (I know it's not automated, but it's digital, super easy to use, and also includes tests for big 3 and PO4...and it's much less expensive than an automated tester). So...which one do you guys recommend? Help me weigh these options out please!
I have had the reefbot 8 months now. I bought it since I wanted to spend more time looking at my aquarium and enjoying it than messing around testing, changing water etc....
Well, it basically does what it should but, maybe I've been unlucky...
The machine had to be changed after 4 months due to consistent problems: mechanical, testing and programing. The new one isn't much better. I have to regularly open it up and reburn the software onto sd card, resetting system. The brands of tests are limited and some simply don't work. For example redsea Ca beta only works for 2 weeks. Others have problems of viscosity and mixing and give false results.
Added to that, the machine is bulky and noisy.
Reef Kinetics have been great and I can't speak highly enough of their support. That said, for a 1400 dollar machine, I really didn't expect soooo many problems...

RoyinSpain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing with the reefbot... If you use the opportunity of having a reefbot to test more frequently than maybe you did manually, like in my case with a new tank, testing every 4 days instead of every few weeks, then chemical usage and cost soars. The reefbot seems to use much more reactives than manual testing. The 20ml test vials need to be kept at least half full otherwise the syringe doesn't reach the liquid.....

DEGREGORIIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait for the Mastertronic from Focustronics. It can be used standalone or combined with the Alkatronic and Dosetronic. Focustronic has proven to be very precise, efficient and a top notch service. I also own a ReefBot but it is still a bit beta phase kind of quality and they did not add anything to make manual tests kits perform better...

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of it is amazing, that's why I purchased one, testing all tests and you being able to choose which tests, but if its not accurate its useless right. I tested a brand new batch of salt water, (I have a 7 stage RODI I am always at 0 TDS) it came back with 0.2 phosphates and 1ppm of nitrates.
As we discussed previously the ReefBot (or any other device) will give wrong results if you don't have an accurate calibration. If there's any part defected, Reef Kinetics will send you a replacement Reefbot.

Happy Reefing!

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to make sure to visit the official group where you have all the objective and authentic reviews of the users. Not a group where someone post whatever negative things and alternate the truth by a fake account.

AngieRN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact iDip - NEVER get consistent readings and the strips and reagents get costly. Been up, down, inside and out with this company and keep getting told that it’s ME instead of the meter! As an RN - I hope I’m not THAT much an idiot! A simple PH test done the exact same way 2-4x in a row gives you vast results (6.7-8.0!!!!).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%

Back