Automated testing systems - pros and cons

FishyLips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am new to the hobby, RedSea 625XL, about 6 months old. I like automation and considering the purchase of an automated testing system. The Neptune products seem to be popular, but are there others? 1) They are understandably efficient, but what about accuracy? 2) Are they worth it? 3) Does anybody run both RedSea Dosing, but use a separate automated water testing system?

Appreciate your thoughts.

My tank: Everything is thriving; fish and mixed coral. I have RS Foundation dosing daily (Ca, Mg, Alk) and do manual testing weekly, with some Hanna testers and some others. I test specific gravity with a high-precision hydrometer. Water changes regularly, but I have not had to deal with any crazy issues yet. I have phosphate reactor, skimmer, ReefMat, refugium with mud and an algae.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
pros: can be a little more hands off due to it testing for you.
cons: cost, and still have to calibrate regularly for optimal performance. ultimately you’ll have to cross check with another tester to see if it’s being consistent

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am new to the hobby, RedSea 625XL, about 6 months old. I like automation and considering the purchase of an automated testing system. The Neptune products seem to be popular, but are there others? 1) They are understandably efficient, but what about accuracy? 2) Are they worth it? 3) Does anybody run both RedSea Dosing, but use a separate automated water testing system?

Appreciate your thoughts.

My tank: Everything is thriving; fish and mixed coral. I have RS Foundation dosing daily (Ca, Mg, Alk) and do manual testing weekly, with some Hanna testers and some others. I test specific gravity with a high-precision hydrometer. Water changes regularly, but I have not had to deal with any crazy issues yet. I have phosphate reactor, skimmer, ReefMat, refugium with mud and an algae.
The ReefBot Lab! :cool: Hook it to your tank and run as much tests as you want with over 100 compatible tests! You can also schedule the tests to run on hourly, weekly, daily, monthly wherever you are!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back