Automatic Water changes. It doesnt get any better then this.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol....I am no way complaining. Just wondering how others handle this minor, minor inconvenience. I will say from day 1 I knew I wanted no part of doing the bucket brigade and my WC were semi automated from the start. I had standard 2 barrels connected to a pump and through a series of valves managed my WC that took less than 15 min. I almost felt guilty getting a genesis, but my rationale was more for consistent parameters. That's my public stance anyway. :)

....ease and cool factor is what the little voice in my head says.

Last edited:

cr2jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my LM3 with an additional Pump, the TCM and the ATO module. Thanks Aquaman for helping me make the decision. I am in the process of creating my fish room in my unfinished basement that will support one 75 gallon mixed reef and a soon to be 120 gallon SPS tank on my main level. It is a slow process for me right now but should be completed in a couple months. I am going to start a build thread here soon.

I did chat with Jeremy at Spectrapure who was great to work with. I think we BSed for about 45 min! Great people from my experience. He is also helping me fix/trouble shoot a RO/DI from another vendor.

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stenner will easily pull that. My stenner is in my garage (placed at about 8ft, see pic) and the 1/4" piping thru the attic (about 50ft run). It still pulls water from my sump; doesnt even slow it down. Also, I dont think there's a vertical push limit we have to worry about.
2013-11-22 09.36.05.jpg
doublepump.jpg

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stenner will easily pull that. My stenner is in my garage (placed at about 8ft, see pic) and the 1/4" piping thru the attic (about 50ft run). It still pulls water from my sump; doesnt even slow it down. Also, I dont think there's a vertical push limit we have to worry about.
2013-11-22 09.36.05.jpg doublepump.jpg

Dr- I think you mean we don't have a horizontal run to worry about. Vertical is usually limited and called " head pressure". :)

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my LM3 with an additional Pump, the TCM and the ATO module. Thanks Aquaman for helping me make the decision. I am in the process of creating my fish room in my unfinished basement that will support one 75 gallon mixed reef and a soon to be 120 gallon SPS tank on my main level. It is a slow process for me right now but should be completed in a couple months. I am going to start a build thread here soon.

I did chat with Jeremy at Spectrapure who was great to work with. I think we BSed for about 45 min! Great people from my experience. He is also helping me fix/trouble shoot a RO/DI from another vendor.

Glad to help cr2- I agree just met Jeremy at MANA DENVER. Cool guy. Regarding LM3 I agree nice piece of equipment. Unfortunately mine was just a loaner. Im to go back to Stenner soon.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to help cr2- I agree just met Jeremy at MANA DENVER. Cool guy. Regarding LM3 I agree nice piece of equipment. Unfortunately mine was just a loaner. Im to go back to Stenner soon.

What can you tell us regarding why you are going from the LM3 back to Stenner? What did you find to be the positives and negatives of the LM3 vs the Stenner? Were there any features the LM3 has that the Stenner does not? Thanks!

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr- I think you mean we don't have a horizontal run to worry about. Vertical is usually limited and called " head pressure". :)

Sorry, should clarify what I meant. :nerd:

The vertical suction lift is 25ft for the stenner; they never told me a vertical push limit. The regular pumps are rated to push against 25psi; the HP pumps are rated to push against 100psi. No horizontal or hose length limits.:juggle:

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can you tell us regarding why you are going from the LM3 back to Stenner? What did you find to be the positives and negatives of the LM3 vs the Stenner? Were there any features the LM3 has that the Stenner does not? Thanks!

gettaReef- The LM3 was sent to me for an evaluation by Spectrapure. They wanted me to try it and write a review on this thread, which i am working on as we speak. The LM3 will now be raffled to our local club members. Im going back to the Stenner because that is what i own.

As far as the LM3 it does a wonderfull job for AWC's and has other modules that can be added to it. No reason not to own one.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gettaReef- The LM3 was sent to me for an evaluation by Spectrapure. They wanted me to try it and write a review on this thread, which i am working on as we speak. The LM3 will now be raffled to our local club members. Im going back to the Stenner because that is what i own.

As far as the LM3 it does a wonderfull job for AWC's and has other modules that can be added to it. No reason not to own one.

Okay thank you, that makes sense. I'm really struggling between the LM3 vs stenner. Looking forward to your review

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you, that makes sense. I'm really struggling between the LM3 vs stenner. Looking forward to your review

Either one will work. I'm running the Stenner and prefer it due to control ability with my Apex.

walkabout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the stenner pump how many gallon per day are you running, I am going to put this on my Apex

Attachments

• 1410703009181.jpg
    1410703009181.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 294
OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the stenner pump how many gallon per day are you running, I am going to put this on my Apex

If you read Randy holmes farley's articles he recommends 30% WC per month, so when doing AWC you want 1% per day. For me thats ~2.5 gallons per day.

BTW- you can divi that up however you want. I did it once per day while i was home for the first few months in case something went wrong i knew i was here. then switch to 2x per day. I know others here do it more often than that.

Last edited:

walkabout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I'm asking is what model are of the stenner are you using and how many gallons per day of the stanner model did you buy they have a 6 gallon a 12 gallon a 50 gallon and so on per day model

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I'm asking is what model are of the stenner are you using and how many gallons per day of the stanner model did you buy they have a 6 gallon a 12 gallon a 50 gallon and so on per day model

Both Dr. Thompson and i have the 100DM4 which is 70 pd.

Grizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Stenner 100DMP4 a week ago and do a daily 2 1/2 gallon change spread out over five 1/2 gallon changes. I installed it approximately in the center between the DT and new salt water holding barrel. it is a total run of about 60 feet with a 8 foot lift. So far works great. I also installed a low water detector in the salt water holding barrel and connected everything to the Apex so if something happens and I do not fill the holding tank it will shut off. I also have a high water level switch in the sump to shut it down should the water level raise more than 1/2" in the sump. The same switch also shuts down my ATO. Gotta love the Apex! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back