Automatic Water changes. It doesnt get any better then this.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sacohen, did the Jantec power supply end up working out?

It's putting out power, but I can't get it to start the motor.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't set mine up. I really haven't done anything with it for several months.
The last time I worked with it the Jantec PS worked fine to power the heads with tubing in them.

I basically took everything and put it away in a box until I had the money to do my 90 gallon upgrade.

I just ordered the tank for the upgrade on Tuesday, I should have it Sunday so I'm on my way to getting back to working on this,

I'll let you know once I have it set up and running.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't set mine up. I really haven't done anything with it for several months.
The last time I worked with it the Jantec PS worked fine to power the heads with tubing in them.

I basically took everything and put it away in a box until I had the money to do my 90 gallon upgrade.

I just ordered the tank for the upgrade on Tuesday, I should have it Sunday so I'm on my way to getting back to working on this,

I'll let you know once I have it set up and running.

All I'm getting is a very quiet ticking/scratching noise coming from the motor. The manufacturer used a 4 Pin Mini-DIN connector (S Video) instead of a 4 pin DC connector on my supply. Right now what I have is an S Video coupler connecting the PSU to another S Video cord that I cut (which would connect to the pump). I'm wondering if the S Video cord is not able to transfer the full power. I may end up cutting the power supply's cord. Was your connector a mini-DIN as well? Did you cut your cord before or after the choke?

Otherwise, I'm going to try out a wall adapter and see if that works. Hopefully 3rd power supply is the charm.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall the type of connector. I think it was Mini Din (S-Video).
I'll look at it tonight and get back to you.

I think I just cut the end off and if I did it was most likely after the choke and as close to the connector as possible so I kept as much length as I could.

I think I tried 1/2 a dozen PS, before I found this one that worked for me.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, and fortunately I do have the Apex controller with 2 EB8's (which has just been sitting on my desk for the last 4 months due to me being super busy and very picky about finding the most efficient and clean way of organizing all the electronics in a new shelf from IKEA....I have lots to do!!). Although the D0S is new and info regarding it has just recently become available, do you see any advantages or additional features it has over the stenner and/or the LM3?

Diffficult question to answer gettaReef- I have run both the Stenner and LMIII on my tank but not the DOS. All I can opine on is what ive used so far, and youve seen those opinions above.

My Stenner has been running so far for 11 months, 2.5 g/day. No issues. In between that i did a trial with the LMIII for 2 months, same result, no issues.

Last edited:

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the Stenner for three days now and I'm noticing a slight increase in salinity. My FSW container measures 1.0024, and tank measures 1.0027 and seems to be on the rise. I'm also running a Tunze Osmolator which turns off during the change. Any ideas?

walkabout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my set up with apex

Attachments

• 1413680239192.jpg
    1413680239192.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 464
OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the Stenner for three days now and I'm noticing a slight increase in salinity. My FSW container measures 1.0024, and tank measures 1.0027 and seems to be on the rise. I'm also running a Tunze Osmolator which turns off during the change. Any ideas?

Measure you volume in and out to a set volume. Ex- run both stennner heads until you reach a certain value, lets say 500ml.

I had a difference, but it was insignificant. Dr. Thompson had NO difference. This will guide you going forward..

Last edited:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my set up with apex

Quite impressive! I have nearly all the same equipment that you have on that back board (apex, modules, x2 EB8, dosing pumps, etc...) but I need to encorporate it in a much smaller space......it needs to fit in a 2 door cabinet next to my aquarium. Time to get creative!

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guise, I'm still alive. I had to stop water changes because the water got too clean. Too many reasons behind it but I'll get back on it shortly. Gotta go back a few pages and read up.

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got all my issues figured out. One of the roller assemblies compressed and was allowing a full syphon of water. SCARY! Luckly I noticed it.

Now with all the bugs worked out, in all honestly you're a **** fool if you're not running an Auto Water Change.

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally ran all the lines and set up my profilux for the system... and then realized I need a check valve because my waste salt water is connected with a T to my waste water from the RO and I don't want salt water invading the RO system. So... one more day to wait.

Here is my Profilux setup.

S2 is the Stenner pump set up on a timer, S3 is a solenoid that feeds my ATO/RO.

sockets.png

My timer programming:

timerprogramming.png

The logic for the solenoid:

logic.png

Timer assigned to the pump socket:

pumpsocket.png

Logic assigned to solenoid socket:
solenoidsocket.png

Would you be so kind to get these pictures back online? I'd love to see and learn how your programming can help me in my profilux set up.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automatic water change to me includes the automatic preparation of the new salt water. I have my sump connected to a drain line. I turn one handle and pump out the desired amount, and then a second pump puts the new water back into the sump. I do this once a month. Not the biggest of my issues. So with your idea I could auto mate the pumps. Its not worth it to me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automatic water change to me includes the automatic preparation of the new salt water. I have my sump connected to a drain line. I turn one handle and pump out the desired amount, and then a second pump puts the new water back into the sump. I do this once a month. Not the biggest of my issues. So with your idea I could auto mate the pumps. Its not worth it to me.

That's a fine system, but an automatic system does it many times a day in small changes, precluding the need to heat the new salt water, or match anything in it, not even salinity if you want a correction.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, but at what cost? You could truck sea water to Kansas, but it seems to me there are much better ways to spend money on my system.
Others obviously disagree.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back