Automating co2 scrubber

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having some ph stability issues. got it remedied for the most part by opening up the windows. but looking to buy a CO2 scrubber from BRS and wanting to automate the scrubber to run when the ph drops to 8.2 and shuts off when it hits 8.3. has anyone done this before and if so is there a write up or article on how to do this? I want it to work with my apex also.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way I know how to turn it off and on is by turning your skimmer off and on. The CO2 scrubber feeds directly into the air intake valve of the skimmer. If you cut off the air, your skimmer will spew water all over the place!

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Some use a solenoid. I use motorized ball valve. Use a Y connection (or similar) to pull air from two places. One pulling from scrubber and one pulling from just regular air.

Use the valve on either intake. I use mine on the "regular" air and its always closed, meaning the scrubber is being used the vast majority of the time. The valve will only open if the pH gets too high, to allow regular air to mix in and keep the pH stable.

When i orginally set it up I used two valves. One for each intake, but realized pretty quickly it was redundant.

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe BRS did a video on this. By using a a Y fitting and control valve to control by ph so you just pull air out of room when it gets to a certain set point and then though media when you need it to pull though media to bring ph back up. Hopes this helps I would assume you need apex or other controller to make this work.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only problem with the dc-24 to bare wire accessory is that I have the e8 and not the eb832 energy bar 832

There are wired ones for a typical outlet, so you could always go that route. It works the same, i just wanted to save an outlet so thats why i went with the dc24 connection

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is what im thinking.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Some use a solenoid. I use motorized ball valve. Use a Y connection (or similar) to pull air from two places. One pulling from scrubber and one pulling from just regular air.

Use the valve on either intake. I use mine on the "regular" air and its always closed, meaning the scrubber is being used the vast majority of the time. The valve will only open if the pH gets too high, to allow regular air to mix in and keep the pH stable.

When i orginally set it up I used two valves. One for each intake, but realized pretty quickly it was redundant.
Hello smart water 101 do you have pictures of your current set up or the diagram you used when you were building it ?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello smart water 101 do you have pictures of your current set up or the diagram you used when you were building it ?

This how I had it set up at the time. I don't like apex anymore, plus I tore down my tank but It worked well for my use. I'd say the extra ball valve was unnecessary, but either way it worked well.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This how I had it set up at the time. I don't like apex anymore, plus I tore down my tank but It worked well for my use. I'd say the extra ball valve was unnecessary, but either way it worked well.
Thank you

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure honestly. I had originally went with the BRS stuff but it never changed color. I did some reading an apparently other people have had the same issue. I'll prob try another brand of media when I get my next tank up and running.
I switched from the brs brand to 2 little fishes nd color changes.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m still researching this scrubber thing , on average how long does the media last on a recirculating setup controlled by valves and an apex ? Thank you

Brian L'Ecuyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this old thread and think the better solution is a 3 way valve like this....

Two inputs one fresh air one scrubbed and one output plus it can be an ac outlet on/off. I have it and am re doing my back system and will add an outdoor fresh air and this valve and see.

Brian L'Ecuyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YMMV but I have a closed house in the summer in Cali due to heat so lots of co2. I have a small tank 70G and large skimmer 150ss. I have the dual jumbo BRS scrubber and get 3to4 months per media change. it is massive but I buy big for less frequent maintenance. Also I bought a pharma color changing co2 media for much less than brs just had to buy a huge container... maybe 18 months to two years worth... Finding that was actually what made me do this...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back