avast reactor mod to recirculating biopellet

williamjacobs641

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$10 in pvc and a new pump ($32), I changed my avast reactor to a recirculating biopellet reactor. I added pellets to the reactor, after the mods where made. That's why there are some at the top. The one at the bottom been in the reactor for 4 weeks now. If I was to buid another, I wuld go with the wider reactor from avast and change the valve to a gate valve ,like a fellow reef suggested from my local club. Also it will be fed from my return pump,when I change my return pump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWl-Gx_xeU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OP
OP
W

williamjacobs641

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a still pic.
2012-05-06113744.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES! this is very cool. What kind of pump are you using? And also, you can control the output with a ball valve as well...right?

OP
OP
W

williamjacobs641

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mj 1200 in the sump that feeds it, and I am using a ball valve to control the flow into it. Either I can feed off my return,when I get a new pump, or let the mj push water to both carbon and pellet reactor. Right now I have a mj on each. The recirculatin pump is a quiet one 1200 and I only have it about half way open. To run this, I have to set my input flow then set the recir pump. Any increase or decrease in input changes the recir pumps flow. It neat to see how much more tumble action you get from these pumps in these setups. The other reactors, down draft types, have to use larger pumps after awhile. Pellets start to clump together. At least know I can control the biopellets so they won't over strip my water. Plus it only cost a few bucks since I. Had the reactor already. Iused a brs reactor at first until it started to clump up. Either I had to get a bigger pump or put less pellets. Then I switched to a avast reactor. Samething happened also. $40 later, don't have to worry about that anymore. Recirculating biopellets reactors ,my opinion, are what is needed to use biopellets properly.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same reactor, and use a mj 1200 to it as well. I dont have issues with them clumping, but it's not always an even flow or tumble. There is a reactor that has hit the market with a very similar design made by reef dynamics, and you can control the output flow while not disturbing or changing the tumbling action. That is why I am wondering if this can be done with your mod. I believe you can.

here is a video on it:
[video=youtube;sLhmI8vtnfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhmI8vtnfw[/video]

OP
OP
W

williamjacobs641

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get home tomorrow, I'm going to see if the recirculating pump can draw in water from my sump with out the mj. Just have to swith the input hose to the suction side of the pump. Hope it works, one less pump in the sump.

OP
OP
W

williamjacobs641

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works just like this one. Once it is primed, it will pull in it own water. You dont need a feed pump. If you make and on the inlet side, Use a plan 90 elbow and put a t right above the union.Leave the other one,exit side , at the top. It makes it easier to get rid of the air in the reactor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back