AWC recommendations

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am curious as to your opinions about a more reliable AWC system. I have a Red Sea 900 XL tank and have been using a DOS for about a year to change 2.5gal/day over a 3hr period. My issue is that the system will perform fine for about 6mo and then I notice that it’s not putting in the same amount as it’s taking out. I initially replaced the new salt water head 2mo ago and it returned to normal but I’m starting to notice it’s acting up again causing salinity swings. I have my ato programmed to shut off during the awc cycle to avoid minor fluctuations while this is occurring but I’m starting to think that the DOS really isn’t meant for this type of application. Plus at 35/ head replacing every 6months doesn’t seem smart. I have recalibrated the unit multiple times but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Any recommendations on a better stepper pump for this specific application?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has been struggling with getting her DOS calibrated for AWC as well, but I believe she's finally got both dosing heads to the point where they're within a few ml of each other. The big selling point of the DOS is that it can pump quite some length vertically and horizontally. How far is the line run to your DOS?

OP
OP
Jdzzl03

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say about 12ft or so. I have a WC station to the left of the sump. 5ft from the bottom of the Brute and the maybe 8 laterally to the sump. Not too far. I’m just concerned that I replaced the NSW head two months ago and am having the same issues. I had to manually add around 2 gal today after the cycle completed. I’m wondering if maybe I should spread it out over a longer period of time to reduce the strain on the pump or just switch to a dedicated pump entirely and repurpose the DOS for something else.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say about 12ft or so. I have a WC station to the left of the sump. 5ft from the bottom of the Brute and the maybe 8 laterally to the sump. Not too far. I’m just concerned that I replaced the NSW head two months ago and am having the same issues. I had to manually add around 2 gal today after the cycle completed. I’m wondering if maybe I should spread it out over a longer period of time to reduce the strain on the pump or just switch to a dedicated pump entirely and repurpose the DOS for something else.
I stopped doing regular water changes over a year ago and haven't looked back. In part because it was an absolute PITA with a 200-gallon system. You could certainly try stretching it out over a period of longer days (not sure if that would improve things or make them worse, though).

OP
OP
Jdzzl03

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I haven’t noticed a huge difference in coral growth but my thought was it would help replenish the micro nutrients. I’m going to start with an ICP test monthly and monitor how things go. Thanks for the advice!

Back